Sponsored by:

Rattling PSS10s

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 06:36 PM
PJorgen
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Rattling PSS10s

Here's another of those "I've got a funny noise" questions.

When driving over rough roads a rattling noise comes from the top of the rear PSS10 towers - both sides. Sounds like the adjuster **** is loose, but it's not.

I know the mounting bolts are torqued correctly as I did it myself recently when I installed a Brey-Krause harness bar. I can't reinstall the insulated carpet pieces that cover the shock towers because of the BK bar.

Anyone have any idea what is causing this? I could stuff some sound insulation around them but would rather get at the root cause.
Old 11-15-2009, 08:33 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Did you check the center nut holding the shock mount to the coilover? I had a rear make noise on me once and that was the culpret. Thankfully it's easy enough to access that nut with them in the car that it's no more difficult than the 3 little ones you secured when you did the harness bar.
Old 11-15-2009, 09:49 PM
PJorgen
Burning Brakes

No I've not checked that. Not sure exactly which nut you're talking about (could it be me?). Is it accessed from inside the car or outside?
Old 11-19-2009, 02:11 PM
perryinva
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Inside. The one you have to tighten down before you install and tighten the adjusting ****,
Old 11-19-2009, 02:26 PM
M3 Defector
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 27 Posts

OK, this is going back to my e36 M3 so I don't know if it is relevant.

I had knocking noise coming from the rear as well (boy, that doesn't sound good) and it turned out to be a failed shock mount. The rubber in the shock mount disintegrated. I think it was because I went to Bilstein sports rather than stock. If that is the case you may have to use Poly RSMs instead of rubber.
Old 11-19-2009, 03:50 PM
PJorgen
Burning Brakes

perryinva - thanks for the clarification, I'll check that this weekend.

M3 - thanks for the suggestion but don't think that's the problem, they've rattled from day 1. Had them installed by Sharkwerks and am fairly certain Alex would have let me know if the mounts were bad.
Old 11-19-2009, 04:17 PM
jyoteen
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

check your drop links too.
Old 11-21-2009, 06:02 PM
PJorgen
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jyoteen
check your drop links too.
So, what am I checking the drop links for? Alex at Sharkwerks mentioned this too, but I'm not sure how to tell if the rattling is coming from the drop links.

When the car is up on ramps, they seem tight. Have not checked them with the car on a jack on the rears hanging down.

BTW - they are TRG droplinks, only a couple of years old. I'm assuming they should last at least that long.
Old 11-21-2009, 08:04 PM
jyoteen
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by PJorgen
So, what am I checking the drop links for? Alex at Sharkwerks mentioned this too, but I'm not sure how to tell if the rattling is coming from the drop links.

When the car is up on ramps, they seem tight. Have not checked them with the car on a jack on the rears hanging down.

BTW - they are TRG droplinks, only a couple of years old. I'm assuming they should last at least that long.
well, they should be tight and have no play. In my case, the drop links (front) had completely separated.

I now have the Tarrett Engineering drop links.
Old 11-23-2009, 11:23 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

hey pjorgen.. sorry to hear that... I've seen a few of the drop links from bilstein that have come apart. Not just yours and although we've made them aware of it we haven't had much luck other than them sending out more of the same ones with the plastic ends (that's the issue). Although with the TRG ones (I assume they're the curved ones) they can come loose over time (not break though) so see if maybe that's what happened? Let me know otherwise we have a solution of our own we can give you
Old 11-24-2009, 09:13 PM
PJorgen
Burning Brakes

Alex - thanks for jumping in on this. I'll try to get under the car over the TG holiday and try to figure out what's up. BTW - here is a link to the TRG droplinks I'm using:

http://store.trgparts.com/rear-dropl...nly-p4796.aspx

They're not curved.
Old 11-25-2009, 12:12 AM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by PJorgen
Alex - thanks for jumping in on this. I'll try to get under the car over the TG holiday and try to figure out what's up. BTW - here is a link to the TRG droplinks I'm using:

http://store.trgparts.com/rear-dropl...nly-p4796.aspx

They're not curved.
Ahh ok those look like rear drop links? We always use factory ones in the rear? The ones I mean were these ones for the front

http://sharkwerks.com/porsche/996-tu...uspension.html
Old 11-25-2009, 01:07 PM
PJorgen
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sharkster
Ahh ok those look like rear drop links? We always use factory ones in the rear? The ones I mean were these ones for the front

http://sharkwerks.com/porsche/996-tu...uspension.html
Yes those are the rear links - the rattling comes from the rear. I also have a TRG rear sway bar.
Old 11-25-2009, 07:15 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Roger that... it was late last night and I thought we were talking about the issue with the front bilstein drop links I really don't use the solid/style ones like that in the rear since they do make a lot of noise and can come loose. I'm not familiar with the geometry of the TRG sway though so I'm not sure if something is slightly off?
Old 12-03-2009, 02:59 PM
perryinva
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Well Pjorgen...what was it? ever find out??

Quick Reply: Rattling PSS10s