996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Rennline Billet Aluminum Shift Knobs **Product Release**

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 10:25 PM
falcon7x7
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go to their web site they have pictures....BUT when you go to order either one it says "out of stock" been like that for at least 4 weeks (as long as I have been trying to order one).
Old 02-07-2011, 10:42 PM
balefire
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Last Car
ALSO; do you have a picture of this shifter in 'Black'?
Thanks,
Patrick
it was in the link from above. looks good too.
Attached Images  
Old 02-07-2011, 10:47 PM
balefire
Pro

Originally Posted by falcon7x7
Go to their web site they have pictures....BUT when you go to order either one it says "out of stock" been like that for at least 4 weeks (as long as I have been trying to order one).
I noticed that too. I asked him about it below:
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...-products.html
I don't think he understood the problem. I also PM'd him. Hopefully they'll figure it out.

Otherwise, I think vividracing carries it, so I might order from them depending if its shorter and heavier than stock or not.
Old 02-07-2011, 11:16 PM
Last Car
Advanced

Thanks 'balefire'; did you get your questions answered?
patrick
Old 02-08-2011, 09:28 AM
Rennline
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 73 Likes on 35 Posts

What browser are you guys using? These haven;t been out of stock for over a year, and we have plenty in stock. Unfortunately I can't replicate the out of stock issue.

As far as height, I'm not sure what the height of the factory one is but I can guarantee this one is at least the same height but probably shorter. The bore goes as far up into the **** as possible, without coming through the top. If you wanted it lower, you can simply cut your shifter shaft down with a dremel and this **** will still work fine.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:58 AM
V225
Racer

Wow. I have been looking for an aftermarket round **** that fits our cars forever. I had to settle for the crazy expensive techquipment CF one. The price on this is reasonable, I'm ordering one.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:25 PM
balefire
Pro

Originally Posted by Last Car
Thanks 'balefire'; did you get your questions answered?
patrick
Got some of my questions answered. However, they did fix the website, so I ordered it, and installed it tonight. FYI:

-billet **** height: 3", weight: 6.0 oz, installed height 5.4"
-stock **** height: 5", weight: 3.4 oz, installed height 6.0"

except for the lack of a boot, it is everything i wanted in a ****. its heavier, countersunk to reduce the throw, the generic brushed look matches my interior, and its affordable. it reminds me of my old team voodoo ***** in my other cars.

unfortunately, i have a problem with my boot. the directions state to cut the boot at the base of the factory **** to leave the boot as long as possible. i can tell you that is NOT enough. I cut my boot 2 cm higher than the base for extra security and it still isnt enough. my boot continually pops off.

if you look at my measurements above, you'll notice that the billet **** is 2" shorter, but the installed height is only 0.6" shorter. thus you need 1.4" MORE boot than the base of the old ****. in hindsight, i should have removed ALL of the leather from my old **** and not cut it any where near the base.

anyone have an old boot they don't need or want?
thanks!
Old 02-16-2011, 11:39 PM
falcon7x7
Racer

Originally Posted by Rennline
What browser are you guys using? These haven;t been out of stock for over a year, and we have plenty in stock. Unfortunately I can't replicate the out of stock issue.

As far as height, I'm not sure what the height of the factory one is but I can guarantee this one is at least the same height but probably shorter. The bore goes as far up into the **** as possible, without coming through the top. If you wanted it lower, you can simply cut your shifter shaft down with a dremel and this **** will still work fine.
Using Firefox gets the out of stock notice.

Tried Safari, works ok!
Old 02-17-2011, 12:15 AM
balefire
Pro

Originally Posted by falcon7x7
Using Firefox gets the out of stock notice.

Tried Safari, works ok!
it wasn't a browser problem. it was a website problem that should be fixed now.

in retrospect, there are several cheap looking boots available on ebay. if i had to do it over again, i would not have cut my stock boot at all. i would have removed my stock boot from the plastic undertray, and cut to fashion the ebay boot. that way, you can have lots of extra fake leather boot and a factory shift **** and boot that you can sell or reinstall at a later date.

Last edited by balefire; 02-17-2011 at 12:52 AM.
Old 02-18-2011, 03:41 AM
altonj
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

On our cayman S we just cut the shifter down a slight bit to allow the boot to fit. Works great.

Have one going into the 996 as well, but no boot on that one....

Cheers
Old 01-29-2013, 12:13 AM
hkspwrsche
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Is engraving an option? I'm wondering if we can get the shift pattern in it so it looks more factory upgrade than aftermarket.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:17 AM
philooo
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I own one of these and they are great.

The selling point really is the fact that they are secured to the gear lever with screw, so no more gear **** in your hand during fast shifting at the autocross or track.

I had it happen to me a couple of time in very hot weather.

On the other hand if you live in hot climate and park your car outside, the know can get unbelievably hot to the touch, but it cool off in a few seconds under AC as well.

Love mine
Old 07-08-2014, 02:33 AM
balefire
Pro

Bump. Despite the shift boot issued, still like mine. Are these available for the 944 also?

Quick Reply: Rennline Billet Aluminum Shift Knobs **Product Release**