Sponsored by:

When to replace the clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 03:41 PM
Malakas
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 62 Posts
Default When to replace the clutch?

I recently drove a friend's RS60 987, and was AMAZED at how light the clutch pedal effort was. Mine is MUCH MUCH harder to engage. I've read that as the clutch wears the pedal effort increases.

Well mine is "increased". However, there is no slip, even with the 60mph-6th gear-WOT test.

I guess my real question is -- can I simply wait for the clutch to slip? Or does it need to be done before it gets that bad??

THANKS!
Old 11-02-2009, 04:39 PM
deckman
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Wait until you need to get your RMS/IMS fixed, and replace it then

Seriously I would wait until it really doesn't feels right.
Old 11-02-2009, 04:48 PM
Jon996
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When mine went it went REALLY fast. One day normal, next day I was afraid I might not make it to the dealer! Jerky engagement, and failed the 3rd-gear slip test.

On the other hand, the new one feels just great--like you said, very little effort, very smooth.
Old 11-02-2009, 04:56 PM
smackboy1
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm pretty sure that Porsche changed the clutch for the 997/987's so it should feel better. The newer clutch feels lighter and less stiff. After driving a 997 it's kind of bummer to get back into a 996 even if there is nothing wrong with the clutch.
Old 11-02-2009, 04:57 PM
Malakas
Rennlist Member

Well I'm at 48k... So I'm sure I'm in for replacement very soon. How many miles were u at when u replaced it?

I'm doing my first DE this weekend - just hope I can get through that.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:01 PM
deckman
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Some people go really long on the original. I did mine at 42K, but that was probably due to the previous owner
Old 11-02-2009, 05:12 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Malakas
I recently drove a friend's RS60 987, and was AMAZED at how light the clutch pedal effort was. Mine is MUCH MUCH harder to engage. I've read that as the clutch wears the pedal effort increases.

Well mine is "increased". However, there is no slip, even with the 60mph-6th gear-WOT test.

I guess my real question is -- can I simply wait for the clutch to slip? Or does it need to be done before it gets that bad??

THANKS!
You might want to try another 911 car comparble to yours. The 987 clutch may be lighter cause the 987 clutch is lighter to begin with. (My 02 Boxster clutch is heavier than my 03 Turbo clutch, but the Boxster clutch still works fine, with over 225K miles on it.)

The word I get from Porsche techs is the clutch action does become heavier and this a sign the clutch is of course wearing. But when to replace the clutch? Without some number representing the force necessary to depress teh clutch compared to a clutch in good condition who can say?

Had I replaced the clutch on my 02 Boxster based on some increase in pressure over new I might have replaced it a hundred thousand miles ago.

Oh, just remembered: I have had a tech check out the clutch, several times, when the car was in for other service and the report is that it still feels ok.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:22 PM
Malakas
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys for the feedback! My wallet thanks you too!

... Yeah, my service guys always say that the clutch has <50% life, but they've been saying it for 2 years. Good - I feel better.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:36 PM
soverystout
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I replaced my clutch almost right after I got the car at 35K.
The RMS was leaking so I bought a clutch from sunset and told the dealer (during the CPO'd RMS repair) to throw the new clutch in.

The clutch action was night and day difference. The previous owner wasn't too sharp with a clutch.

It makes a big difference if you don't drive a manual as your DD.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:43 PM
peavynation
Pro

Originally Posted by soverystout
The clutch action was night and day difference. The previous owner wasn't too sharp with a clutch.
Really? My clutch is pretty hard to depress compared to a friends '05 997, and about a million times harder than my Toyota truck (which feels like there's NO return spring! LOL!).

Do any of you recommend the clutch spring mod? Maybe I'll just wait to put in a new clutch and see how it feels then. I just bled the system a month ago; no change.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:51 PM
soverystout
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by peavynation
Really? My clutch is pretty hard to depress compared to a friends '05 997, and about a million times harder than my Toyota truck (which feels like there's NO return spring! LOL!).

Do any of you recommend the clutch spring mod? Maybe I'll just wait to put in a new clutch and see how it feels then. I just bled the system a month ago; no change.
I think the pedal action is more pressure plate than anything. Regardless of the mileage on most 996s, these cars are now 5 to 10 years old.

Peavy, as long as teh clutch action isn't causing one of your legs to be far larger than the other (and you start walking in circles because of it) I would keep on driving it like that. My clutch job had a nice perk...Labor $0
Old 11-02-2009, 06:02 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I drove my brother in law's brand new 997 C2 yesterday. The clutch felt exactly like mine, same pedal feel, same effort. I was surprised, thinking my clutch was on the way out at 21k miles. But I guess not!
Old 11-02-2009, 06:05 PM
peavynation
Pro

Originally Posted by soverystout
I think the pedal action is more pressure plate than anything. Regardless of the mileage on most 996s, these cars are now 5 to 10 years old.

Peavy, as long as teh clutch action isn't causing one of your legs to be far larger than the other (and you start walking in circles because of it) I would keep on driving it like that. My clutch job had a nice perk...Labor $0

Very true, soverystout.
As to my legs, I don't walk in circles yet, but do drift a little to the side down the hallway. Lol! It's actually not that bad, but compared to other cars it seems heavy. It's probably completely normal for my '01.

And my labor will be free in the sense that I'm doing it myself on a lift in my buddy's shop. I was gonna do it when I put in a rebuilt trans (second gear syncro, grinding downshifting from 3 to 2 when cold). But I started thinking I might just do some DEs and track days on this trans/clutch and get some use out of them before I swap them out! Lol!! Best to do it on this hardware while I'm honing my heal/toe shifting skills!!
Old 11-02-2009, 07:01 PM
Malakas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by peavynation
I started thinking I might just do some DEs and track days on this trans/clutch and get some use out of them before I swap them out! Lol!! Best to do it on this hardware while I'm honing my heal/toe shifting skills!!
LOL. I like what youre thinking!
Old 11-03-2009, 11:30 AM
mcdonagh
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My clutch is being replaced today. It was getting quite heavy to push and last week it started to slip. 2003 C2 with 56k.

Quick Reply: When to replace the clutch?