996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

996 skid plate?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 04:55 PM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 79 Posts

I had the Porsche protection plate on my car but I left it off after a recent oil change because I read somewhere that the engine runs cooler without the plate. It does seem as though my car is running cooler without the plate although it is hard to say for certain as the outside temps have been getting cooler since I removed the plate.

pdobbs, if your still looking to buy a plate I'll sell you mine for little cost. It is the genuine Porsche plate including the 4 mounting bolts. The plate is in good condition overall with minor scrape marks.
Old 10-31-2009, 06:12 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by DreamCarrera
I read somewhere that the engine runs cooler without the plate.
That makes no Sense
Old 10-31-2009, 10:37 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Zookie
That makes no Sense
Why not?
Old 11-01-2009, 02:39 AM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Ray S
Why not?
+1

Why does it not make sense that something that is partially covering the engine would not help trap the engines heat thus making the engine run at a higher temperature? It is also possible that it blocks airflow to the underside of the engine and hampers cooling in that way.

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying that this is definitively the case. I am simply saying that my car SEEMS(read: my basic observation) to run cooler since I removed the plate. Before removing the plate my coolant temp regularly climbed above 100 Deg. C, as measured by the cars HVAC system, especially when driving in traffic. Now with the plate removed, my coolant temp rarely climbs above 100 Deg C even in stop and go traffic.

Although, even if the plate does occasionally increase the operating temp of the engine, the protection it provides may well be worth it.
Old 11-01-2009, 09:04 AM
SH || NC
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

JMHO, but the aluminum plate partially covers the oil pan, not much more. Does some heats escape the oil through the oil pan, I'd have to assume some does, but I doubt it impacts with any significance the cooling/heating of the oil and engine; the oil is cooled through a heat exchanger after it is collected from the pan anyway, if I read the drawings correctly.
Old 01-24-2010, 09:27 PM
sheatley
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Van
I have the skid plate. Seems very straight forward and is a good idea.

I take it off when I do oil changes (3 bolts) - otherwise I seem to dribble a little oil into it and it gets extra messy.
Wish I had known this before I did my first oil change. Left the oil to drain out of the hot engine for the suggested 20minutes. On return, the oil was dripping off the skid plate, not into the container. Lost about 1/2 qt onto my driveway.

Thought I had cleaned up, drove the car off the rear lift only to drag another oil trail into the garage. I then freaked out thinking I had broke a line or cracked the filter case until I saw it was old black oil, not the fresh Mobil 1 I had added.
What a mess.

I will try and remove the plate next time
Old 01-25-2010, 03:30 PM
BuddyK
Instructor

Originally Posted by pdobbs
What does anyone here know about a skid plate for the 996 3.4 or 3.6? I have the PSS9's lowered pretty low and since I have some scratches on the sump my mechanic recommended I consider adding a skid plate. He says Porsche makes a factory one.

Has anyone else added one?

I have one - it will save you from big rocks hitting the engine (if you drive on gravel roads). Also good for snow I think.
Old 03-22-2010, 07:22 PM
emdog
Instructor

I have US stock suspension, but live in crappy Los Angeles Rds, is my car still low enough that I should think about a skid plate?
Old 03-22-2010, 08:16 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I think if your 996 was lowered then you might have a problem.
Old 03-22-2010, 10:09 PM
Pac996
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yah it is a good idea if you can't angle your approach to some speed bumps or entryways to a place like the motorcycle dealership I drop into some times. Some entrys made for high water flow will tilt the back into the ground pretty ugly. I didn't like the first or second time I dragged butt into the place. Hopefully never again.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:00 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts

This fellow never hit the sump either. His wife did, but it's ok because she drove it most of the way home to tell him about it.

"My wife knocked a hole in sump in school car park while fetching kids .She drove home and on the way engine cut out and would not start. After towing car to Porsche they quoted for a reconditioned engine and thankfully our insurers have agreed to pay.Car is a 99 C4 Cab with 75K.
Does anyone know if the engine would be to the newer spec with improved seals etc?"
Old 03-22-2010, 11:02 PM
TRT41
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by pdobbs
What does anyone here know about a skid plate for the 996 3.4 or 3.6? I have the PSS9's lowered pretty low and since I have some scratches on the sump my mechanic recommended I consider adding a skid plate. He says Porsche makes a factory one.

Has anyone else added one?
I removed mine when I converted to a track car. My car on PSS9's sat so low that it scraped every driveway entry and speed bump (as you can see from the photo). Let me know if you want it, $55 shipped. I think Suncoast list for $99.99. Any yes it best to remove to change the oil. It's used but not bent.
Attached Images  
Old 03-23-2010, 12:43 AM
sheatley
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Van

I take it off when I do oil changes (3 bolts) - otherwise I seem to dribble a little oil into it and it gets extra messy.
+2
Old 03-23-2010, 10:37 PM
jr1966
Rennlist Member

I'm having mine installed. I like the idea of some engine protection as I have PSS9s installed and car is lowered.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:58 PM
2K7TTMIA
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Van

What I did was cut the opening quite a bit larger. you can do like a 3 -4 inch

diameter opening and you shouldn't get any oil to drip onto the skid plate.

Quick Reply: 996 skid plate?