Sponsored by:

996 skid plate?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2015, 10:19 PM
DrMEMS
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Porsche skid plate fits on 996.2

I have a 2003 996.2. I scraped my oil drain plug driving through a campground in Yosemite and want to avoid damage in similar situations in the future.
I bought the Porsche skid plate from Suncoast Parts (their part number is 99610798100) for $125. The plate has four holes. Two of them lined up perfectly with pre-existing bolts around the sump plate.

I had to flatten one of the flanges on the skid plate, drill a new hole in the right place, then rebend the flange.

There is a fourth hole in the skid plate, which lined up with a solid chunk of aluminum on the block, so I drilled and tapped a hole and put a fourth bolt of the same diameter as the others in.

The plate sits 1/4 to 1/2 inch below the sump plate. This allows a little air flow. It also allows the plate to bend some when hit, without contact to the sump plate.

Old 09-27-2015, 09:45 PM
DrMEMS
Instructor

Default Skid plate collects oil when changing

I recently performed my first oil change with the skid plate on. You're not supposed to need to remove it. In my case, when draining the sump started, the high oil flow went right though the middle of the hole in the skid plate as expected. When the flow slowed, however, some of the oil ran sideways along the bottom of the sump plate, then down onto the top side of the skid plate. This led to a few tablespoons of oil being spilled out the side of the skid plate. I cleaned everything up, went for a test drive, and found that about half a cup of oil had collected and was dumped out when I accelerated and turned.

In an attempt to prevent this the next time, I got some 1/8-inch aluminum sheet metal, cut a hole larger than the ridge around the hole in the sump plate, and screwed it onto the sump plate.

Top of skid plate showing the 1/8" aluminum circle

Bottom of skid plate show the heads of the screws

I'll report later on whether this worked.
Old 09-28-2015, 09:38 PM
9964runner
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I found a scrap of rubber hose in the garage and cut it about 2" long. Allen socket fits up and the drain bolt now falls directly into the oil catch pan, no need to fish around on the skidplate for it anymore!
Old 12-22-2017, 01:58 PM
professorman
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by DrMEMS
In an attempt to prevent this the next time, I got some 1/8-inch aluminum sheet metal, cut a hole larger than the ridge around the hole in the sump plate, and screwed it onto the sump plate.
I'll report later on whether this worked.
How has this skid plate mod worked out for you with oil changes? I like the idea of cutting a larger hole to avoid messes with oil changes. My car is pretty low, so I think this would be a good investment.
Old 12-22-2017, 02:45 PM
DrMEMS
Instructor

Originally Posted by professorman
How has this skid plate mod worked out for you with oil changes? I like the idea of cutting a larger hole to avoid messes with oil changes. My car is pretty low, so I think this would be a good investment.
The skid-plate mod worked. Now during an oil change oil only flows out the hole, not all over the top side of the skid plate.
Old 12-22-2017, 02:49 PM
professorman
Racer

The skid-plate mod worked. Now during an oil change oil only flows out the hole, not all over the top side of the skid plate.
Thanks. What is the purpose of putting the extra plate around the hole? I am thinking of just cutting a bigger hole without the extra plate that you screwed on.

Do you jack your car up only by the rear for oil changes? Is the car at an angle where the fluid need to drain at an angle?
Old 12-22-2017, 03:26 PM
DrMEMS
Instructor

Oil draining from the hole in the engine can miss the hole in the skid plate, flow sideways, and come the sides of the skid plate. Adding the circle of sheet metal collects this oils that misses.

When I change my oil, I drive the front and rear wheels up onto "ramps" of two or three 2 x 6's stacked up. This gives me just enough space to get the oil-collection pan under the car. The car is close to level, but not perfectly.

If you don't already have one, I recommend getting the LN Engineering magnetic drain plug.
Old 12-22-2017, 03:29 PM
gtred
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Does the plate cover the water outlet hoses along the side of the pan? I drug the belly of mine over some gravel a few weeks ago and did this:
Old 12-22-2017, 03:33 PM
DrMEMS
Instructor

Originally Posted by gtred
Does the plate cover the water outlet hoses along the side of the pan? I drug the belly of mine over some gravel a few weeks ago and did this:
No, it just covers the sump region. You can get a feel for the size from the above photos.
Old 12-23-2017, 12:17 PM
professorman
Racer

Oil draining from the hole in the engine can miss the hole in the skid plate, flow sideways, and come the sides of the skid plate. Adding the circle of sheet metal collects this oils that misses.

If you don't already have one, I recommend getting the LN Engineering magnetic drain plug.
Okay, I see, I thought you cut a larger hole in the plate itself. Is there a reason you did not just cut a larger hole?
For the screws, did you use short screws the right length or did you grind off the excess?

I just got a magnetic drain plug.
Old 12-23-2017, 03:52 PM
DrMEMS
Instructor

Originally Posted by professorman
Okay, I see, I thought you cut a larger hole in the plate itself. Is there a reason you did not just cut a larger hole?
For the screws, did you use short screws the right length or did you grind off the excess?

I just got a magnetic drain plug.
I felt like keeping the drain hole small gave the engine better protection.
For the screws, I started with short screws and filed them down a little bit.
Old 01-15-2018, 03:54 PM
SoCal911t
Rennlist Member

Received 1,470 Likes on 709 Posts

I put mine behind that little clip and it fit fine.

Old 01-15-2018, 04:33 PM
DrMEMS
Instructor

Originally Posted by SoCal911t
I put mine behind that little clip and it fit fine.
Good work. Thanks for posting.

Quick Reply: 996 skid plate?