996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

ignition key won't release

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2022, 09:38 AM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,410 Likes on 1,785 Posts

The electric side of the ignition switch is a very common failure. Do a google or rennlist search and u will find threads on replacing it.
Old 10-13-2022, 12:56 PM
Down South
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by MyPorsche996
Hey buddy, I saw your question about the mechanics of the ignition. My car is having the same issue.
after driving I go to park up and when removing the key it’s like the mechanical part of the lock doesn’t close up so the car acts like the key is still in the ignition. The radio has to be manually turned off. And then the car won’t lock with the alarm so it’s a manual lock which leaves the passenger door unlocked!
did you manage to resolve the issue you had as it sounds very similar to what I’m experiencing just now???
thanks buddy, hope you are well and fingers crossed you reply!
I had a very similar problem as you're describing. I could remove my key but it wouldn't be in the "lock" position. After a few minutes I would hear a "click" that indicated the switch was now locked. As it got worse, I replaced the entire lock assembly and that fixed the problem. No issues at all since.

Last edited by Down South; 10-13-2022 at 12:57 PM.
Old 10-17-2022, 12:32 PM
frisbee91
Three Wheelin'

Received 66 Likes on 50 Posts

I had a similar experience. I replaced the electrical part of the switch several times, and it would fix the problem temporarily. Eventually replaced the entire steering wheel lock assembly, and now it's MUCH better.
Old 10-17-2022, 03:39 PM
parris
Pro

Received 113 Likes on 77 Posts

I have a similar problem as described (some years ago...) by the OP: In my case, is not a problem with the key positions or switching on or off the car. Is just releasing the key from the switch. It slides in without problem but when I try to get it out (after switch off the engine) it seems to get trapped. If when I turn the engine off, I push it a bit strong to the left, harder than usual, it would come out easily.

Has anyone have the same problem and solved it by changing the electrical switch?

Thanks!
Old 10-17-2022, 03:47 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,166 Likes on 746 Posts

First thing I would try is to spray some graphite lock lube in the key slot.
Old 10-17-2022, 05:18 PM
parris
Pro

Received 113 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by DBJoe996
First thing I would try is to spray some graphite lock lube in the key slot.
I did it already. No improvement.
Old 10-17-2022, 06:26 PM
theprf
Race Car

Received 1,783 Likes on 1,135 Posts

Originally Posted by parris
I have a similar problem as described (some years ago...) by the OP: In my case, is not a problem with the key positions or switching on or off the car. Is just releasing the key from the switch. It slides in without problem but when I try to get it out (after switch off the engine) it seems to get trapped. If when I turn the engine off, I push it a bit strong to the left, harder than usual, it would come out easily.

Has anyone have the same problem and solved it by changing the electrical switch?

Thanks!
Yes. Change the switch it's a $10 part. If that doesn't fix it then change the mechanical lock mechanism which is like a $150 part.
The following users liked this post:
parris (10-18-2022)

Quick Reply: ignition key won't release