Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Opinion - should I get a powertrain warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 01:41 AM
roadsession
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Opinion - should I get a powertrain warranty?

So I can get a powertrain only warranty that covers engine, transmission, axles and driveshaft for about $2500 - and the dealer will honor this warranty company.

Is it worth it? Or should I spring an extra $500 and buy the warranty that also covers airconditioner and a few other bits/pieces.
Old 10-24-2009, 09:19 AM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

What are you driving? MY,coupe, 6 spd?....I decided to go without any coverage on my 99' coupe and so far have been fine after 3 years of ownership. If you are concerned with high repair bills, why not get total coverage for the extra $500?
Old 10-24-2009, 10:19 AM
TCR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pay the extra $500 and enjoy the peace of mind.
Old 10-24-2009, 05:58 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

Closely read the fine print. Many of these things have some sort of way to keep from paying out.
Old 10-24-2009, 06:05 PM
blinkwatt
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Meh. Once the engine and trannys are covered on any M96 platform I wouldn't worry about anything else.
Old 10-24-2009, 06:11 PM
roadsession
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by blinkwatt
Meh. Once the engine and trannys are covered on any M96 platform I wouldn't worry about anything else.
That was what the dealer said too.
Old 10-24-2009, 06:12 PM
roadsession
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Closely read the fine print. Many of these things have some sort of way to keep from paying out.
This is why I am buying the warranty from the Porsche dealer, and checking with the service manager to make sure he's comfortable with the warranty company
Old 10-24-2009, 06:15 PM
Malakas
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 62 Posts

Is it the Easy-Care warranty?

Old 10-24-2009, 08:42 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

I have Easy-Care, obtained when I paid for the car when it was new. Extended me to 100,000 miles and 10 years. Included a tire and wheel warranty.
Old 10-24-2009, 08:45 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by roadsession
This is why I am buying the warranty from the Porsche dealer, and checking with the service manager to make sure he's comfortable with the warranty company
The heck with the service manager. You need to research the company and make sure its not one that comes up every once in a while, loads up with a lot of customers, then goes bankrupt and leave them high and dry.

Essentially you are buying insurance and you want a company that will be there with the money when (if) the time comes.

Also, read the fine print very carefully to be sure what is covered. Do not rely upon what some slick sales person tells you, some slick/shiny sales folder tells you. Get an actual copy of the policy details and read it through thoroughly.

I have talked with some Porsche techs and they hate dealing with 3rd party warranty companies. The "adjuster" shows up and asks about a zillion questions and tries to find some reason to deny the claim. Your best friend in these instances is the tech. Speak with some of the more experienced ones beforehand and ask what you can do to help solidify your position and make his job easier (or his counterpart's job at another dealer) should something go wrong and you have to file a claim.

Lastly how many miles on the car and how many miles do you plan on driving teh car while the coverage in effect? If not many miles you lose. Warranty companies know that problems appear from miles driven, not time passed, and that's why most of the time these policies are quite profitable to the company offering them. Anytime a warranty like this expires from elapsed time and not miles covered is a "win" for the warranty company and a "loss" for you.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 10-24-2009, 11:50 PM
roadsession
Three Wheelin'

Thanks guys.
it's Fidelity Warranty Services.
The service manager told me they're good to work with.

Car has 50K miles (02 C4).
The powertrain warranty would provide additional 48Kmiles / 4 yrs.
Old 10-25-2009, 11:49 AM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

The fact that this warranty is so reasonably priced tells you a lot about the real actuarial repair experience with these cars. Ask yourself how rarely they'd have to replace an engine to make a profit at this rate. There's a happy thought!
Old 10-25-2009, 02:31 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by roadsession
Thanks guys.
it's Fidelity Warranty Services.
The service manager told me they're good to work with.

Car has 50K miles (02 C4).
The powertrain warranty would provide additional 48Kmiles / 4 yrs.
Well, only you can decide what's best for you.

I'll note I have driven my 02 Boxster bought new in 2002 for over 225K miles, the last 175,000 miles sans no warranty and nothing major has happened.

I've worn out more floor mats than clutches. Replaced more brake light switches than engines.

But I was prepared should worst happen to pay for out of my pocket for a new engine sourced from the factory and installed by a dealership. Had the money set aside. Still have it set aside. Have so far never used it.

Well, I used some of it. Dipped into my cash stash to buy a new 08 Cayman S then replaced that car -- totaled in a car wreck (not my fault!) -- with a "new" 03 Turbo. My cash stash is not as large as it once was. But I still have the Boxster. And I still have enough money to replace the engine should it require replacing.

The Turbo came with 2 year, 100K CPO warranty which has until June 2011 to run and car only has 18.5K miles on it, of which I have put on around 8K since I bought it June of this year. After CPO warranty expires if I decide to keep the car I'll have set aside money to fund a new engine should the car require it.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 10-26-2009, 02:49 PM
Dave!
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've recently been looking at aftermarket warranties and let me give you one bit of advice.

Check for Limit of Liability

I was talking with a company that was offering Powertrain coverage for $2500, but they capped any single engine repair at $3000. You can tell that's just not quite enough to cover a $15000 engine replacement. So just make sure you know exactly what you're getting, because it sounded like a great deal to me before I asked more questions.
Old 10-26-2009, 03:55 PM
roadsession
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Dave!
I've recently been looking at aftermarket warranties and let me give you one bit of advice.

Check for Limit of Liability

I was talking with a company that was offering Powertrain coverage for $2500, but they capped any single engine repair at $3000. You can tell that's just not quite enough to cover a $15000 engine replacement. So just make sure you know exactly what you're getting, because it sounded like a great deal to me before I asked more questions.
EXCELLENT advice.
I just checked limits of liability and it is :

1. For any one repair visit - all benefits paid or payable shall NOT EXCEED the actual cash value of your vehicle at present market value (KBB).

Quick Reply: Opinion - should I get a powertrain warranty?