996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

OT: Not sure I can do this ...

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2009 | 12:58 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Default OT: Not sure I can do this ...

As some of you know, after I sold my C4S, I got the hots for a new toy. So, I have been obsessed with getting a motorcyle. I haven't driven one in years, but a ride through the Utah canyons on my friend's BMW 1200GS convinced me I had to have one (at least a neat starter bike like a 450-650cc cycle). So, I'm taking a safety course in 2 weeks, and am (was) planning on going to the Philadelphia Motorcyle Expo next week. However, after after looking at the ad for the show, I'm just not sure I'm cut out for this. Tattoos, southern rock bands, and what's not listed, PIG RACES!

I have the feeling that this won't be "my crowd." I'm a 60 year old pediatrician for chrissakes. I don't want to sound like a snob, but I'm wavering on this. I really don't want to die either on a bike, or at the show. Could any of you do this?

http://phillyexpos.com/motorcycle_expo/index.html
Old 10-03-2009 | 01:12 PM
OCNYPORSCHE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Unfortuntely Phil, I would love a bike too. But it is not really the bike riders as much as the other drivers on the road that are usually the problem. They drive way to close, and there really is just too many cars and SUVs in the northeast to worry about. So I figured the next best thing is a 911 cab. You really get the open road feeling with cab, and with a TT, you get a little close the acceleration
Old 10-03-2009 | 01:40 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Nah, not my thing anymore... and if it was I would be more of the sport bike crowd. Just to populated around here for a bike.
But Phil, are we assuming the Bike would leave the garage?
Old 10-03-2009 | 01:45 PM
Meister Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Marc Gelefsky
But Phil, are we assuming the Bike would leave the garage?
Ha!

Bikes are great, but it is dangerous on the roads, just be careful.

I have a friend about 75 who goes on long rides, he's got some kind of Japanese v-twin style, even puts his 70 year old girlfriend on the back.
Oh yeah, they wiped out on a cross-country ride, spent time in some hospital in TN, but they're riding again, gotta love it.

Good luck Phil, follow your dream, you can always sell the bike.
Or just park it in the garage.
Old 10-03-2009 | 01:58 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Originally Posted by Meister Fahrer
Ha!

Bikes are great, but it is dangerous on the roads, just be careful.

I have a friend about 75 who goes on long rides, he's got some kind of Japanese v-twin style, even puts his 70 year old girlfriend on the back.
Oh yeah, they wiped out on a cross-country ride, spent time in some hospital in TN, but they're riding again, gotta love it.
Good luck Phil, follow your dream, you can always sell the bike.
Or just park it in the garage.
You see, that's my concern. I spend enough time in the hospital now. I don't want to see it as a patient. And Marc, I would take it out of the garage, but really use it on weekends or evenings for back road drives, not as a commuter or to ride along I95. I think I will follow through with the course, and then see whether the fire is still lit for me to actually go out and get one of these damned things. If I do, I think the Triumph Bonneville will have to wait - my first bike would be used and smaller.
Old 10-03-2009 | 02:27 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Get an Arial Atom instead!
Old 10-03-2009 | 02:44 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Not my kind of scene either Phil.

I've never understood the Harley crowd - those things are not real bikes... what do they call them, ape hangers?

Anyway, for me it would have to be something Japanese and sporty.
Old 10-03-2009 | 02:48 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Phil, yes you can do that as long as you............ put a bandanna over your hair, part your beard in the middle and tie the two ends of the beard with a rubber band, and wear some old blue jeans and a shirt with the sleeves cut off.... yes, you can do this!

Damn, I wish I could find that picture of you that Wayne posted a while back. I could photo shop it to show you how ridicul.... er, cool you would look!
Old 10-03-2009 | 02:49 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Wayne, post that pic of Phil in his blue jeans so I can "go to work" on it!
Old 10-03-2009 | 03:00 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Tim,
I'm not sure I'm evil enough to post photos of Phil knowing that you'll just photoshop them and make him look like Cheech Marin on a motorcycle.

...okay, I lied.
Old 10-03-2009 | 03:12 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by OCNYPORSCHE
Unfortuntely Phil, I would love a bike too. But it is not really the bike riders as much as the other drivers on the road that are usually the problem. They drive way to close, and there really is just too many cars and SUVs in the northeast to worry about. So I figured the next best thing is a 911 cab. You really get the open road feeling with cab, and with a TT, you get a little close the acceleration
+1

I imagine the BMW crowd is a little different than the Harley crowd, but it still might not be your thing. Have you had leather pants on lately?

Get a 911 Cab! If you bought one that already had high mileage - something crazy like 10,000 miles, then maybe you wouldn't feel too bad about taking it out once in a while!
Old 10-03-2009 | 04:34 PM
porsche-t
Pro

Give it a try. I have been riding this 2005 BMW R1200RT for the past 3 years (2 trips to Cali, once to Denver, once to Sipapu, NM and once to Branson, MO from San Antonio). Heading for Newfoundland next year. BTW - I'm 56 and the Honda is my other bike.

Last edited by porsche-t; 12-17-2009 at 01:33 PM.
Old 10-03-2009 | 04:43 PM
falcon7x7
Racer

Hey Phil, I'm a 60 y/o guy too....I have 2 Harleys and my Garage Queen is a 2000 Road King and is for sale (it is looking for a new garage to grow roots in) BTW it has 4700 miles, sound like your kind of milage!

Sorry Phil, I have been reading all the digs your so called "friends" bestow upon you, and I could not help myself...

Your new "friend" Stew
Old 10-03-2009 | 06:23 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by Phil G.
As some of you know, after I sold my C4S, I got the hots for a new toy. So, I have been obsessed with getting a motorcyle. I haven't driven one in years, but a ride through the Utah canyons on my friend's BMW 1200GS convinced me I had to have one (at least a neat starter bike like a 450-650cc cycle). So, I'm taking a safety course in 2 weeks, and am (was) planning on going to the Philadelphia Motorcyle Expo next week. However, after after looking at the ad for the show, I'm just not sure I'm cut out for this. Tattoos, southern rock bands, and what's not listed, PIG RACES!

I have the feeling that this won't be "my crowd." I'm a 60 year old pediatrician for chrissakes. I don't want to sound like a snob, but I'm wavering on this. I really don't want to die either on a bike, or at the show. Could any of you do this?

http://phillyexpos.com/motorcycle_expo/index.html
Why would you sell a perfectly fine C4S -- hardly used IIRC -- and then replace it with a motorcycle?

Don't be too worried about the crowd. Lots of professionals into motorcycles now. H-D has really made a killing selling tricked out hogs to these people. I refer to this modern crop of hog riders as Chopper Chucks. Bad to their untanned skin.

Be more worried about getting on the road with all the distracted drivers. I rode a motorcycle for years and every once in a while consider buying one (my leaning is towards a nice air cooled BMW twin) then I see another butthead driver in a car or other 4-wheeled vehicle drifting from lane to lane while talking on a cell phone. And cell phone usage while driving is illegal here!

Every week day on the way to or from work I hear another traffic report of another motorcycle/vehicle accident. Almost all involve injury and sometimes death of the motorcycle rider.

No thanks.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 10-03-2009 | 07:10 PM
Eharrison
Nordschleife Master

All the Harley riders here are pediatricians or dentists.

The real ones still live in the high desert where you can still cook your meth in privacy.

Quick Reply: OT: Not sure I can do this ...