Sponsored by:

How To Jack up a P-car

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 11:23 PM
jpoint
Burning Brakes

Received 356 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
As you can readily see in these pics, I just leave the hardtop on whenever it happens to be on the car and I have to jack it up. Makes no difference.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...-securely.html
I noticed Edgy1 starts with the back of the car. That's where I would suggest too if I had a hard top latched.
Old 05-27-2013, 01:26 PM
ahartz
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just thought I would add my experience. I have a stock 2000 996 C2 (no aero skirts, lowered suspension, etc.). I followed the advice above:
1) Lift from rear jack point.
2) Drop car with front resting on jack stand at the front jack point; one 2x4 under rear tire. Remove jack.
3) Repeat on other side of car. Remove jack.
4) The car is now resting on two jack stands at the front, and one 2x4 under each rear tire. There is enough room now to get my relatively bulky jack far enough under the engine to reach the cross member. Lift the rear of the car at the cross member, and then lower the rear on to jack stands at the rear lift points.
Car is very solid on the four jack stands. I'm leaving the jack under the cross member (not lifting) for security.
Old 05-27-2013, 04:19 PM
robo_porsche
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I have found a perfect solution to the problem of lifting my Porsche in a safe way! I bought one of these that is on the picture below. You mount it on top off your normal garage jack so you get two lifting points (!) on your jack. I don't know what it is called in english (I bought it in Sweden), sorry!

It adds a little hight to the jack so I have to first jack up my car on each side normally (using the rear jacking points) and put some pieces of wood under the tires (about 5"). Then I simply use the jack with the additional device in my picture below to lift the car:

In the front right where the suspension is bolted to the body on each side, and then put jack stands under the Porsche front jacking points.

Rear on each side of the crossmember under the engine (the one pictured above in this thread), and then put jack stands under the Porsche rear jacking points.

This way you can jack up your car to ANY hight without having the car swinging around while you are jacking it up! It is fast and it is safe!! It is also a very cheap solution (I paid about 200 USD for jack and this device)!

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

PS. I also use the devicee to lift my other cars when needed!

Robert
Attached Images  
Old 05-28-2013, 01:35 AM
thstone
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I started to lift the rear using the engine and both engine mounts leaked! It scared the crap out of me. When I replaced the engine mounts it was clear that they were way beyond their useful life anyway. From now on, I use the engine mount as the lifting point, not the engine.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:10 AM
Cosmo Kramer
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 85 Posts

Ken makes these for the 996's I may buy a set. Makes jacking so much easier.

He goes by Porken on the 928 forum and he sells lots of innovative products.

http://liftbars.com/
Old 05-28-2013, 12:50 PM
robo_porsche
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Cosmo Kramer
Ken makes these for the 996's I may buy a set. Makes jacking so much easier.

He goes by Porken on the 928 forum and he sells lots of innovative products.

http://liftbars.com/
These are similar in theory to the one that I use, but if I wasn't clear in my previous post, I jack the car in the front in one go and then the rear in one go. The points that I use for jacking should be safe, I have seen that they used the same points for jacking when I was at a car inspection.

Robert

Quick Reply: How To Jack up a P-car