GT3 Cup exhaust and cat delete

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 04:30 PM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by onefastviking
Did you notice the drop in power while driving or just raise up your driving to better match the new found power at higher rpm's ?
You just adjust to the power band. We had some basic data so we were able to try corners in different gears and using different techniques to see what worked best.

David,
What do you have for suspension? Getting the front to stick with that big wing must be a challenge. It also creates a lot of drag. Does the downforce make up for it?
Old 09-01-2009, 04:47 PM
onefastviking
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ritter v3.8
It did with me- I found seconds at RA. With my 3.8 motor with track cams, headers, no cats, dual Burns race mufflers + mapping 4500 is min target rpm. Some the grunt of the 3.8 is lost but it howls north of there to 7k. Lots of compliments from GT3 owners too- which are always welcome.

We anticipate similar from the 996 project. Custom map is a given with these types of changes- for motor safety as much as power.

But isn't the custom map illegal in Spec 996 ?
Old 09-01-2009, 05:24 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts

I've only been on track (Road Atlanta) exactly one w/e in the car. And it was rushed so we didn't have the correct chin spoiler to put on so ran without.

First session it felt unbalanced and like the back end wanted to come around. But as the tires warmed they seemed to cover in part the imbalance. My wrench (IMSA/Rolex experienced) who was there made some damper changes and it felt much better. We are running custom valved/sprung Ksports (forgot what Audion19s had said about them) and I think by the end of the first day they were very good. Btw the wrench said its a lot of shock for the money. And I think he thinks they cost a lot more than they do. We'll see if they last.

We need to open the wing up - car had good grip but lacking in top speed I think. Its such early days with the car- and I'm surely no expert, but almost out of the box I've never had so much fun sitting down before. And it only got better from there.

As far as Spec Class is concerned we'll see how it shakes out in '10. Choosing things like Hoosiers and Bilsteins and allowing bolt in cages just doesn't make sense IMO. That said we won't do anything that we can't easily undo to get back to spec- whatever that ends up being. Meantime will start running in NASA, CHIN etc.
Old 09-01-2009, 05:39 PM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've only been on track (Road Atlanta) exactly one w/e in the car. And it was rushed so we didn't have the correct chin spoiler to put on so ran without.

First session it felt unbalanced and like the back end wanted to come around. But as the tires warmed they seemed to cover in part the imbalance. My wrench (IMSA/Rolex experienced) who was there made some damper changes and it felt much better. We are running custom valved/sprung Ksports (forgot what Audion19s had said about them) and I think by the end of the first day they were very good. Btw the wrench said its a lot of shock for the money. And I think he thinks they cost a lot more than they do. We'll see if they last.

We need to open the wing up - car had good grip but lacking in top speed I think. Its such early days with the car- and I'm surely no expert, but almost out of the box I've never had so much fun sitting down before. And it only got better from there.

As far as Spec Class is concerned we'll see how it shakes out in '10. Choosing things like Hoosiers and Bilsteins and allowing bolt in cages just doesn't make sense IMO. That said we won't do anything that we can't easily undo to get back to spec- whatever that ends up being. Meantime will start running in NASA, CHIN etc.
David,
You might try running with just a taco wing or no wing to see how it compares. A one degree change in angle on my 997 cup has a meaningful impact on straightline speed and my wing is smaller than yours. I suspect your wing may do more harm than good. It's at least worth testing.
Jim
Old 09-01-2009, 05:58 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

We are running custom valved/sprung Ksports (forgot what Audion19s had said about them) and I think by the end of the first day they were very good. Btw the wrench said its a lot of shock for the money. And I think he thinks they cost a lot more than they do. We'll see if they last.
Interresting. I think I was one of the first to try the k-sports...and I never even got them to fit the car (rears needed to be machined to fit in the control arms). Sounds like they at least got that fixed. My car was stock height with their spring in the front with the adjusters all the way down and no preload on the front springs at all.

Then again...if you re-valved them and re-sprung them you've fixed the biggest issues. The internals are supposed to be nearly the same to the JIC's which are 3X the money...but when I had mine on a shock dyno the curve that they showed in stock form was completely linear and not digressive at all...and the comp / rebound rates were WAY off.

To be fair, my shock guy told me the same thing though...re-valve and re-spring them and they'd be a great option but at that point I was completely fed up and just wanted to be done with the headaches that went along with them. I'm glad to hear they might finally be delivering on what I hoped to initially get out of them.

Andy
Old 09-01-2009, 08:38 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

I expect that wing will just blow off one day and we'll see how it goes with just the uprights.
Its early days yet- I expect we'll try a lot of different things. There are some other guys here with similar set ups so at least we have the same air-anchor out back.

I was really surprised at the 3.4 its pretty quick compared to other guys with 3.6s. No problem keeping up. Even felt strong compared to the 3.8- not dramatically slower anyway.

I didn't hear to the contrary but I believe the Ksports were a no-issue install and set up. They arrived (as promised) 2-3 weeks after sending them the car specs- not 3-4 months like JIC (even then they were the incorrect ones). So far I would say that they are at least the equal of the JICs on track (based on two different P-cars though). A better drover might say the opposite.

But you can't argue with the service, delivery time or the price. As always YMMV.
Old 10-03-2009, 04:18 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Here's a couple of remarkably bad photos of the first prototype. We used less expensive Magnaflows to get the design right but will use Burns for the next set.

They have not been run or dyno'd yet so I can't you anything about them except they are very light and yet solid and stiff. Hope to give them a try next w/e.

Better photos, weight, hp/tq gain/loss to follow.
Attached Images   
Old 10-03-2009, 05:18 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

nice, can't wait to see the results.

For those of us who don't have the center exit cutout in the bumper we could still use a setup like this just turn the tips downward instead of straight out the back.
Old 10-03-2009, 07:08 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Sure or put the cans inline and straight out each side.
Old 10-03-2009, 07:22 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by onefastviking
But isn't the custom map illegal in Spec 996 ?
Yes, custom map is illegal in 996 Spec.

FYI, the shock package for 996 Spec is being changed to JRZ non-remote double adjustables. JRZ is going to be making a specific package for us, springs & all at a decent price. Hoosiers will probably remain spec for 2010, but we're going to be experimenting in Texas with some other tires (probably BFG R1's) to see if we can come up with an alternative that offers decent performance with greater tire life.

Rule changes are currently being debated on 996spec.net
Old 10-05-2009, 04:38 PM
onefastviking
Race Car

What diameter pipe did you use ?
Those look like the 6"Magnaflows with 3" outs, correct ?

Here's a couple of remarkably bad photos of the first prototype. We used less expensive Magnaflows to get the design right but will use Burns for the next set.

They have not been run or dyno'd yet so I can't you anything about them except they are very light and yet solid and stiff. Hope to give them a try next w/e.

Better photos, weight, hp/tq gain/loss to follow.
Old 10-08-2009, 01:28 AM
onefastviking
Race Car

Any dyno or track results yet ?
Old 10-08-2009, 10:29 AM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Sorry- no. Some engine work being done so not for another week or two. I'll post here for sure when we do.
Old 10-08-2009, 03:07 PM
jmla
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here are a couple of other set-ups:

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/g...t-project.html

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/g...t-headers.html
Old 10-15-2009, 05:38 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Better pic; an exhaust in search of a motor.

Motor should go back in tomorrow with exhaust to follow.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: GT3 Cup exhaust and cat delete