Sponsored by:

GT3 Cup exhaust and cat delete

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 04:14 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ritter v3.8
In the can shown at the top, do you think there is a center baffle/divider or do the left and right gases just mix and exit?
I wouldn't be surprised if they just mix and exit. Someone needs to stuff a borescope up the tip and see.
I am very interested to see what you come up with.
Old 08-30-2009, 08:17 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts

Borescope. I like the way you think. I know someone who has one too.
But look at the the stock Cup exhaust- if it was divided then a.) I don't think that the tips would be so very close together and b.) there would likely be a seam on the outside no?

Absent the borescope I guess you could just angle a coat hanger in the exhaust tip and if you don't hit something . . .
Attached Images  
Old 08-30-2009, 09:16 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

I have access to both exhausts on the 996 Cup and 997, but probably won't be able to see them myself for a week or two. I will check them both when I can.
Yes, usually there would be some sign of an internal wall or baffle inside, unless it is piped with a perforated pipe internally (unlikely but possible).
Old 08-31-2009, 12:24 AM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Have look and let us know. I may have "mole" check one out for us this week though.
Old 08-31-2009, 07:39 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Borescope. I like the way you think. I know someone who has one too.
But look at the the stock Cup exhaust- if it was divided then a.) I don't think that the tips would be so very close together and b.) there would likely be a seam on the outside no?

Absent the borescope I guess you could just angle a coat hanger in the exhaust tip and if you don't hit something . . .
Lucky me, guess what I happened to run across after work today ? An '04 996 Cup car !
Ok, so I shoved a borescope up it's tip,actually both tips, and here is what I found.
The first section in the exhaust is actually a honeycomb cat, just like a street cat although it did appear to be a better larger cell/higher flowing cat. One on each side and it can be seen/noticed in your picture. The shiny, first section of the exhaust on each side is the cat section. After that it is a pipe, one on each side, that comes straight out of the cat section and then 90 degree turns for the exit. Now the reason the middle section is rusty/discolored is that the pipes internally are perforated which appears to mix both sides slightly as well as act as a baffle to dampen the sound.
Make sense ? ? ?
I didn't have a camera to take pictures of the borescope display, not so sure how they would have turned out anyway, but I think it's pretty easy to picture from the description above and your previous picture.
After seeing this now I understand why the extreme cost of this exhaust system, it really is 2 cats and a muffler, not just a muffler.

Let me know if you have any other questions, I can check the 997 although I am guessing it will be the same.
Old 08-31-2009, 08:09 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Hey kewl- thanks.
And from the original pic on page 1 - there are baby cats in there I just read.
So the question is then if you eliminate the cats, can the left and right sides empty into a common singular muffler or better off are they better being maintained separate- like this design for example:
Attached Images  
Old 08-31-2009, 08:19 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

That is the million dollar question ! And the only way to get an answer is to build both and dyno, or find someone else that has already.
I would speculate some mixing would help although depending on when and how you mix it could also hurt performance. This gets into tuning the exhaust pulses, and also tuning them for a specific gain at a specific RPM range.

Hey kewl- thanks.
So the question is then if you eliminate the cats, can the left and right sides empty into a common singular muffler or better off are they better being maintained separate- like this design for example:
Old 09-01-2009, 11:19 AM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

We will go one route (at least) and compare to muffler delete but with stock cats.
Stay tuned (pun intended this time).
Old 09-01-2009, 11:31 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Hey kewl- thanks.
Actually...look closely at that design (which is pure sex BTW) and it would appear they do mix the exhaust gasses right before the exit. See where there's a subtle "x" just after the mufflers where it's turning down to exit.
Old 09-01-2009, 11:38 AM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Like the extra long headers btw?
Old 09-01-2009, 11:44 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Yes....probably not ideal for my street car though!

anyone know the story behind the buldge in the head pipes prior to the bend. Just slip joints or a stepped design? Lots of crazy cool stuff going on there.
Old 09-01-2009, 12:00 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

We will go one route (at least) and compare to muffler delete but with stock cats.
Stay tuned (pun intended this time).
Comparing to muffler delete with stock cats really isn't fair, the cats are the greater restriction. Better to test vs pure open pipes, now if you can beat that then you are onto something. Important to watch how it moves the power curve, more power may sell more pipes but it is not always better. Be sure to dyno well and watch airfuels and hopefully you can adjust as needed to really optimize what you build. - Remember that your motor is just an airpump, more out means your needs for proper air and fuel in changes.
Old 09-01-2009, 01:10 PM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It was fun to open this up and see the underside of my old car. I miss that thing.

I didn't read all the posts so I apologize if I'm repeating what someone else said. When we put straight pipes on my 3.6L X51 we put the pre-cat o2s in the pipe and hung the post-cat sensors in clear air. It worked great but we would get CELs from time to time. Nothing a small piece of electrical tape won’t fix!

I would second the concern about fuel mixture. Whatever changes you make, make sure you put the car on a dyno to make sure you’re not too lean.

We did a ton of testing on the car and in general the less backpressure you have the more HP and torque you will get but as expected it gets higher and higher in the rpm range. With straight pipes my car had no torque under 4500 rpms but screamed from 6000 up.
Old 09-01-2009, 02:12 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JimB
It was fun to open this up and see the underside of my old car. I miss that thing.

I didn't read all the posts so I apologize if I'm repeating what someone else said. When we put straight pipes on my 3.6L X51 we put the pre-cat o2s in the pipe and hung the post-cat sensors in clear air. It worked great but we would get CELs from time to time. Nothing a small piece of electrical tape won’t fix!

I would second the concern about fuel mixture. Whatever changes you make, make sure you put the car on a dyno to make sure you’re not too lean.

We did a ton of testing on the car and in general the less backpressure you have the more HP and torque you will get but as expected it gets higher and higher in the rpm range. With straight pipes my car had no torque under 4500 rpms but screamed from 6000 up.
Did you notice the drop in power while driving or just raise up your driving to better match the new found power at higher rpm's ?
Old 09-01-2009, 04:14 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

It did with me- I found seconds at RA. With my 3.8 motor with track cams, headers, no cats, dual Burns race mufflers + mapping 4500 is min target rpm. Some the grunt of the 3.8 is lost but it howls north of there to 7k. Lots of compliments from GT3 owners too- which are always welcome.

We anticipate similar from the 996 project. Custom map is a given with these types of changes- for motor safety as much as power.

Quick Reply: GT3 Cup exhaust and cat delete