Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

I hate my car stereo, and I did something about it!

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 11:02 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by blinkwatt
Well the rear speakers to me are HUGE. Since I have a Boxster and the rear speaker help to fill it out for my ears. I know there has to be some way to get this to work with the rears on as well.

Yeah the selling point for me is the display as well. I don't like childish looking gear. My buddy has a Avic-d3(I think) with a nice glossy trim frame with PORSCHE(in their font) and the display is adjustable(set to Porsche amber) and it looks OEM. If it was some green or blue it'd look wack.

What are these 'wire nuts' your speak of? Did you have to buy any other parts to install or was everything there from Crutchfield?
Wire nuts are things that crimp the two wires together, without soldering. They are available at Radio Shack, cheap. You stick one end of wire in one end, crimp, then stick the other wire in the other end, crimp, solid connection. Do that about 5 times, and you are set. As for the rear speakers, turns out Crutchfield tech Paul found out that since this JVC has two speaker outs, and two sub woofer outs, I have my stereo connected so that the front speakers are connected, and the door speakers are connected as true subs. To get it back to factory, you need to buy 2 "Y" RCA connectors to make the 2 outputs into 4, then plug the harness RCA cables in. I'm going to try that tomorrow, but if the stereo sounds better controlling the door speakers as subs, I may leave it as is. Stay tuned!
Old 09-08-2009, 06:05 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by raspberryroadster
....am a lurker here (now that cobra is sold am looking at 2nd car - either 993 or 996)

sharing my audio upgrade in my 964...i maintained all original wiring/stock amp in the car in the event return to bonestock was appropriate. car was all rewired to accomodate new install:
-alpine cd9886 head unit (with built in mp3 dock)
-front speakers: boston sx50 with separate tweeters (stock size)
-rear speakers: alpine sps 400 (stock size)
-amp: alpine pdx4.100
-ipod dock was installed in the glove box, only remaining item to be done install of usb dock in glovebox

Sweet looking! Love the iPod in the glove box, too bad my new radio has the iPod connection on the front panel - I'll have to find a nice black iPod cable to be a little more stealth!
Old 09-08-2009, 08:46 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tippy
Thanks for confirming what I have said for years on this board. The CDR-220 sounds like doo-doo. Very AM like.

Im glad you like it Andy!
Also, today I figured out how to get my rear speakers back, thanks to your tip on splitting the outputs via the Y RCA adapters. The JVC unit only had front RCA outs. Since you provided the wiring diagram showing the front and rears going to the same RCA out, I was able to split the two into four and now have all speakers working! And it has so much bass, I actually have to EQ the bass lower. Sweet!
Old 09-08-2009, 11:04 PM
blinkwatt
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AndyK
Also, today I figured out how to get my rear speakers back, thanks to your tip on splitting the outputs via the Y RCA adapters. The JVC unit only had front RCA outs. Since you provided the wiring diagram showing the front and rears going to the same RCA out, I was able to split the two into four and now have all speakers working! And it has so much bass, I actually have to EQ the bass lower. Sweet!
So you just taped into the front speaker RCA outputs for the rears? If so,then there has got to be something wrong here,I mean that's what fader is for...to control the rears...Does it have fader controls?
Old 09-09-2009, 06:48 AM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

So you just taped into the front speaker RCA outputs for the rears? If so,then there has got to be something wrong here,I mean that's what fader is for...to control the rears...Does it have fader controls?
The fader doesn't really work, but I think that's the only way to do it with this particular HU without chopping up the factory wiring. So I keep it centered, I hear my rear speakers fine, and it works so far!
Old 09-09-2009, 08:33 AM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by AndyK
Yepper, that is what the Y -RCA's are for.
Old 09-09-2009, 11:18 AM
blinkwatt
Pro

So was the wiring harness that you have to cut and wire nut together pretty straight forward like matching up colors? Did you have to set up any new mounting brackets? How hard was it? Any special tools required.

Let me make sure I get this straight before I start ordering stuff. You split the front left/right with the rear left/right via 'y - cables' and all 6 speakers(dash tweeter and midrange and rears) still work? Also you used the sub out on the receiver to power the door left/right 5.25" speakers?
Old 09-09-2009, 01:43 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

So was the wiring harness that you have to cut and wire nut together pretty straight forward like matching up colors? Did you have to set up any new mounting brackets? How hard was it? Any special tools required.

Let me make sure I get this straight before I start ordering stuff. You split the front left/right with the rear left/right via 'y - cables' and all 6 speakers(dash tweeter and midrange and rears) still work? Also you used the sub out on the receiver to power the door left/right 5.25" speakers?
If you're going for the same receiver and Crutchfield harness, here is what I did and got all speakers working:

1) Remove old radio, unplug two harnesses and the antenna
2) Install Crutchfield provided antenna adapter into new HU antenna jack
3) Install metal radio sleeve by coercing it into the radio cutout
4) Wire radio harness to the Crutchfield harness using provided instructions (do this on a nicely lit table)
5) ** reverse the yellow and red power wires!! For whatever reason, Porsche is different than Audi in this case, but the wiring diagram doesn't say so.
6)**wire the blue wires together (amp turn on, antenna) into the HU harness blue wire. Instructions from Crutchfield don't mention this either.
7) Buy 2 of the small Y RCA splitters listed in a link on my earlier post
7) Plug in the two splitters into the top two RCA out jacks on the HU
8) Plug the 4 harness RCA cables into the splitters, matching right and left
9)Plug the antenna cable into the HU from the top down, so the L part of the plug points UP towards you, over the RCA plugs, or the antenna cable will pop off during the final radio slide-in!
10) Carefully hold the radio close to the install area, while stuffing all the wiring back into the cavity so there is room for the radio to slide in without getting stuck on the cables, etc.
11) Install the faceplate, and try it out!

I think that's everything. There are about 5 or 6 wire to wire connections, and the RCA plugs. If you wire it the way I listed here, you have no subwoofer controls, but the overall sound is much better, and I even cut the bass to lower the boomyness. If you decide to wire the front speakers and door speakers, without the splitters, you get the door speakers as sub woofers and can control the frequency and volume seperately. But it doesn't sound as good, and you lose the rear speakers.
Old 09-09-2009, 05:45 PM
blinkwatt
Pro

Andy did do you have the factory 6x40 amp? DSP?
Old 09-09-2009, 06:04 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Andy did do you have the factory 6x40 amp? DSP?
No DSP, just the amp and door speakers "hi-fi" option.
Old 04-21-2011, 12:28 PM
venture996
2nd Gear

I just stumbled onto this thread and its very useful; thank you. I am installing the newer version of the JVC unit that Andy put in (KD-AHD79), and it has two pairs of outputs in addition to the sub-out, so at least I don't need a splitter. I selected it for the same reason that Andy did; the abilityt o match the disply color.

With your instructions this sounds like an easy install (yikes, I just cursed myself!). Thanks again.
Old 04-21-2011, 03:51 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ha! Glad you found the thread! Except for the asinine way the JVC requires you to change the radio presets (push a menu button, scroll with the volume wheel, then push the wheel to choose the station), all is still good. As a tip, I found the "hip-hop" EQ setting works best while driving - you need all the extra bass you can get to compete with the flat 6!
Old 04-21-2011, 04:54 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,465 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis C
That's the way to do it!

I crank SRV's music frequently. I have the factory Bose system. It's certainly not the best car stereo I've ever had, but considering the cabin noise mentioned before, I am not inclined to change it.
Funny how things change... since this thread, I've completely changed my system. I've got a new head unit, new amp and new speakers all the way around.
Old 04-22-2011, 01:06 AM
inviktus
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I found this thread a month ago when I changed out my factory head unit for a JVC Arsenal unit, and the wiring instructions that Andy posted were invaluable. Meant to post a "thank you" back then, but, well, I didn't. So better late than never: Andy, thanks for your work!
Old 04-22-2011, 09:36 AM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Glad the posts helped! Funny how everyone seems to be going with a JVC. Is it because of the display color match feature?

Quick Reply: I hate my car stereo, and I did something about it!