Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

I hate my car stereo, and I did something about it!

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 12:27 PM
perryinva
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

There is no doubt that you can tailor the frequency response car specific with a 12 band equalizer a heck of a lot more than with just bass & treble, but saying that the CD or CDR-220 sounds like garbage is way off. The "all mid lows and mid highs" IS the speakers, not the HU. When you EQ with a new HU you are correcting the speakers weaknesses, obviously not the old HU's, as you just removed it. If you just replace the speakers you will see a 7/10s improvement, and if you could EQ the car with the OE HU in place, a 9/10s improvement. That last tenth is what costs you. Like I said, versatility, options, power, etc are all worth what you are willing to pay to get. The OE HU is almost as basic old school car stereo as you can get, and like everyone else, I'd rather have a blank canvas of standard mounting dimensions for amps, speakers and HUs, but since Porsche didn't give us that (what IS it with all the German car builders and stereos, can't they JUST leave it standard!), I do what I can for the most bang for the buck. With the exception of the double din AVIC type HUs, every other aftermarket HU is just way too disco for my tastes.
Old 08-28-2009, 12:49 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Tippy
The CDR-220 sounds like garbage, it is all mid-lows and mid-highs. If it were a EQ, the settings would resemble a bell curve.

I cant imagine just replacing the speakers and calling it a day.

The Kenwood I was mentioning Andy has "system Q", a sound processing/EQ functionality that allows 12 bands of equalizing.

What I mean is, is you can tune out the harsh frequencies from the little-bitty drivers and boost the lows to compensate for the poor response they put out.

If you just change speakers, you still have a **** sounding signal being sent to great speakers IMO.

Of course, it is the sum of all the parts and speakers, HU, and amp would round out the package.

But, you said $300.
I agree. So when you changed your HU to the Kenwood, were you able to EQ out the harsh sound and get something more listenable, using the factory amp and speakers??

Bob - The head unit you have uses LOW 2.5V preamp outs (mentioned in a review as being low compared to more hi-fi units). The Kenwood or JVC HU I would get have higher output preamp voltage - not sure it makes that much of a difference though.
Old 08-28-2009, 12:54 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by AndyK
I agree. So when you changed your HU to the Kenwood, were you able to EQ out the harsh sound and get something more listenable, using the factory amp and speakers??

Bob - The head unit you have uses LOW 2.5V preamp outs (mentioned in a review as being low compared to more hi-fi units). The Kenwood or JVC HU I would get have higher output preamp voltage - not sure it makes that much of a difference though.
I was under the impression that the factory amp's actually use 'speaker level" outputs, That may be limited to the Bose systems?
Old 08-28-2009, 01:04 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Marc Gelefsky
I was under the impression that the factory amp's actually use 'speaker level" outputs, That may be limited to the Bose systems?
Yes, I believe the Bose system is completely different than the regular hi-fi system.
Old 08-28-2009, 02:18 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes. I could hear the tweeters for the first time and the lows (for the size) was not bad.

I added a sub so the lows were covered. But, for mids/highs, it wasnt bad.

Like I said, it isnt audiophile quality but for your budget, I think it sounded fairly good.

The CDR-220 sounds like you said, an AM radio. My Kenwood sounded so brilliant with decent mid range reproduction.

I have an Alpine now and it was barely noticeably better sounding than my factory HU in my 4Runner.

But hey, its just my opinion.
Old 08-28-2009, 02:45 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

I was all set to order a new HU from Crutchfield, when their website said there was no harness that would work with the factory amp equipped cars. I thought the Audi/VW harness would work - but it looks to have 4 RCA plugs. Is that right, or is there another adapter?

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_1207017...tab=review#tab
Old 08-28-2009, 02:58 PM
Tippy
Race Car

I was all set to order a new HU from Crutchfield, when their website said there was no harness that would work with the factory amp equipped cars. I thought the Audi/VW harness would work - but it looks to have 4 RCA plugs. Is that right, or is there another adapter?
Lets see, I had 4 sets of Y-adapter RCA's.

You use the front channel on the HU to plug into the front speakers and the door subs on the amp.

The rear channel of the HU plugs into the rear speakers and the subwoofer (if you were to use one) on the amp.

Then, all you need is the power harness adapter.
Old 08-28-2009, 03:05 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

If I cant get an adapter, stick it on, and plug in to the existing speakers and amp, I'm not doing anything! I won't be getting a sub, and need simplicity!
Old 08-28-2009, 03:10 PM
perryinva
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The non Bose "hifi" uses the low levels from the Becker, not speaker level. The speaker outputs on the HU are not even hooked up. I don't know if thay are high level pre outs or low level, tho. Tippy is right that you will get better tailored frequency out of a 12 band EQ HU than changing the speakers, BUT you are still limited to what the poor OE speakers with paper cones can do. I personally feel (and lets face it, audio is ALL subjective) that just upgrading the speakers gives you more clarity and punch. I may not be able to balance it exactly, but what I have is very listenable. I'll have to look up and see what that Kenwood looks like.
Old 08-28-2009, 03:16 PM
Tippy
Race Car

If I cant get an adapter, stick it on, and plug in to the existing speakers and amp, I'm not doing anything! I won't be getting a sub, and need simplicity!
Andy, you can. Just ask an installer at Best Buy or car audio shop for which adapters you need.

It is plug and play. 15-30 minute install no problem.
Old 08-28-2009, 03:18 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Originally Posted by perryinva
Tippy is right that you will get better tailored frequency out of a 12 band EQ HU than changing the speakers
That is all my point is. He has a limited budget and wants plug and play.

Speakers require melting plastic tabs on the grills and resecuring back with potentially different size speakers frames, etc,.
Old 08-28-2009, 03:20 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'd much rather try making the stock system (speakers and amp) sound more pleasing by getting a HU with better equalizer, and get the benefits of iPod connection and HD radio. That is, if the adapter harness will work. I have to pull the Becker unit out and have a look at the connections. I assume the speaker wires all lead to the amp, and the preamp outs (via RCA) come from the HU to the amp inputs, right? Why did Crutchfield say the adapter wont work for this application?
Old 08-28-2009, 03:23 PM
Tippy
Race Car

The RCA's plug from the HU directly to the factory amp.
Old 08-28-2009, 03:31 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tippy
The RCA's plug from the HU directly to the factory amp.
Via that black plug that also has the amp power on/off blue wire, right? Crutchfield has the adapter but doesn't realize it?
Old 08-28-2009, 04:27 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Via that black plug that also has the amp power on/off blue wire, right? Crutchfield has the adapter but doesn't realize it?
It was 3 years ago. Sorry, I dont remember exactly.

Thats why I would ask an installer who does them regularly, I would have to look at it to figure it out.

The installer gave me all the RCA's and harnesses I needed right there and bought them.

Quick Reply: I hate my car stereo, and I did something about it!