996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Sunroof Fun

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 12:47 PM
s-spiff
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The sunroof I'm assuming is very similar to the power window. If it finds too much resistance, it will reverse direction or stop. Too much resistance comes from years of dirt build up, lubrication wearing away or even cables starting to get frayed or rough (again from lack of lube). I haven't looked yet, but if there is a diy on taking the sunroof apart to clean/lubricate, I think it would solve 99% of the problems...
Old 08-28-2009, 01:57 PM
chriswaxman
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ivangene
where would one go about spraying this .... can you tell us.. I bet thats all thats wrong with mine too.. its always seemed a little "gummed up" and slow then that started to cause issues.
I sprayed the "tracks" on either side that are the path of travel.

BUT - if something "gummed up" a simple lube may not be the best solution, even if it works ok in the short run. Basically, you don't want to just put new lube over old lube if the old lube is filled with crud.

My sunroof track looked clean, but a bit dry and acted as if it was dragging. So a little motorcycle chain wax seemed like a good idea.

As with most things you grease up (axels, bearings, etc.), you want to make sure its clean first, then relubricate. For a motorcycle chain I'll clean it with WD40 and then use chain lube or wax lightly then wipe off any excess. You only want to use just as much lube as you really need, use too much and it just gets messy and collects dirt.

Note that I am not basing this on any particular information or expertise related to 996 sunroofs, or any sunroofs for that matter. I just applied common sense principles from motorcycle chains, which I clean and lubricate often, and applied them with some adjustments to my sunroof. And it seems to have worked.
Old 08-28-2009, 08:47 PM
Rickker
Racer

Originally Posted by dresler
mine ignores my button pushes half the time. Auto opens, but won't auto close. reprogramming a la' Loren doesn't help.
Mine is exactly the same. Auto open works, but you have to hold the button down to close it. It does not function the way the owner's manual says. I tried the reprogramming process, but no luck.
...Rickker
Old 08-28-2009, 09:25 PM
Holger B
Race Car

Received 87 Likes on 34 Posts

The sunroof is crap and rattles. One more reason to get a GT3.
Old 09-08-2009, 08:52 AM
atx.911
Instructor

Originally Posted by chriswaxman
Mine was pretty creaky when I bought my car, I even had to help it closed with the little wrench under the switch plate at one point. Then I hit the mechanism with some motorcycle chain lube/wax and its been fine ever since.
Well I am takin it to the shop Wed. My sunroof makes more of a poppin noise. I am not sure that greasing the track will fix it. It seems to be a two part problem.

It doesn't seem to have any friction what so ever except when closed and I push the button to lift it. It then attempts to move forward again and makes this pop noise when the back of the sunroof should just move up...but not forward again.

The other part of the problem is the switch is malfunctioning. I have to close completely before auto open works. Auto close doesn't work.

Old 09-09-2009, 12:46 AM
atx.911
Instructor

Any1 else have any feedback? Tomorrow my baby goes into the shop for it, hopefully it is something covered in my warranty. I have searched high and low and can't find anything on the internet that explains why I hear a pop noise when tilting the sunroof up (it tries to move forward again).

Also, taking her in to get the ignition replaced (covered on warranty).
Old 09-15-2009, 05:05 PM
atx.911
Instructor

So the result of the popping noise was that the sunroof needed to be recalibrated. After the calibration was done, it worked briefly, then the next day, back to the malfunction and popping sound.

The motor was replaced and this did the trick. Haven't had a problem for about a week now.
Old 09-16-2009, 12:29 PM
kpl
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Auto open works, but you have to hold the button down to close it.
mine just started doing this yesterday, otherwise it works fine. 45K on the car and I use the sunroof regularily.
Old 09-18-2009, 01:01 PM
atx.911
Instructor

Originally Posted by kpl
mine just started doing this yesterday, otherwise it works fine. 45K on the car and I use the sunroof regularily.
You can try recalibrating it, I am not sure how to do this though.

Yeah mine started acting up and making this popping noise, eventually had to replace the motor.
Old 09-19-2009, 03:46 PM
kpl
Racer

can someone post the recalibration procedure?...my usually adequate search skills couldn't find it.
Thanks,
Old 09-19-2009, 06:22 PM
Rickker
Racer

Originally Posted by kpl
can someone post the recalibration procedure?...my usually adequate search skills couldn't find it.
Thanks,
This is from the "Porsche 996 - The Essential Companion" book:

"This is done by holding down the rocker switch in the "close" position for ten seconds with the sunroof already closed. Under these conditions the sunroof control system will automatically switch to and run through the initialisation procedure."

This did work on my '99C4, but I still find I have to coax the system to do what I want it to. Anyway, good luck.

...Rickker
Old 09-24-2009, 01:41 AM
kpl
Racer

thanks for posting that, it did the trick, and now it works fine!

Quick Reply: Sunroof Fun