Sponsored by:

My New-To-Me Hollows

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 01:56 PM
SH || NC
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up My New-To-Me Hollows

Picked these up last weekend from a former C4S owner. They are powdercoated just slightly darker than the factory finish, painted center crests, and have nearly brand new Bridgestone S02As. $1500

Maybe it was just in my head but they did actually feel lighter when I was moving them around by hand during the swap.

Full body shots tomorrow.

Old 07-17-2009, 02:11 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts

they look to be off a Turbo S that came with Seal Grey Hollows...
Old 07-17-2009, 04:00 PM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Stunning color. Those save 5 lbs each more or less vs the stock solid spokes, right?

Edit: Checked on 944racing.de's wheelweight page, and the fronts are 5.0 lbs lighter, while rears are 5.7 lbs lighter each. When you get them on, see how obvious the seat of pants difference is.
Old 07-17-2009, 04:19 PM
SH || NC
Drifting

Originally Posted by RallyJon
Stunning color. Those save 5 lbs each more or less vs the stock solid spokes, right?
Edit: Checked on 944racing.de's wheelweight page, and the fronts are 5.0 lbs lighter, while rears are 5.7 lbs lighter each. When you get them on, see how obvious the seat of pants difference is.
Thanks! Here is another source.

They are mounted, but I have only driven them around town so far, so hard to tell. I have to assume the most noticeable difference will be when you really give it the beans, and perhaps the pickup is a little quicker
Old 07-17-2009, 04:28 PM
CosmosC4S
Three Wheelin'

They look nice!

As to any difference in power, comeon now...20lbs less is not gonna do anything significant or noticeable, in your mind maybe.
Old 07-17-2009, 04:38 PM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by CosmosC4S
As to any difference in power, comeon now...20lbs less is not gonna do anything significant or noticeable, in your mind maybe.
20 lbs on your wheels takes a lot more power to accelerate that 20 lbs in the back seat. There are some useful rule-of-thumb multiples out there, and wheel weight is less important that tire weight, but even a real numb-butt can feel a 5+ lb per wheel change.

Here you go. An conservative estimate of 3:1. http://www.bigblockdart.com/techpage...ngweight.shtml I've heard up to 5:1, but those formulas assumed the mass was farther from the axis of rotation (tires).
Old 07-17-2009, 04:38 PM
SH || NC
Drifting

20lbs less is not gonna do anything significant or noticeable, in your mind maybe.
I might not be able to feel it - you are right - but reducing unsprung weight and rotational mass make a difference. Its a C4S; I gotta loose weight wherever I can!
Old 07-17-2009, 04:41 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I would think that a reduction of 20lbs of unsprung weight(wheels, tires, brakes) will be an improvement and noticeable.Recently I read in Excellence magazine that "removing 33 lbs of unsprung weight at the wheels is equivalent of 198 lbs from the body of the car".
Old 07-17-2009, 04:43 PM
Marlon
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They look nice!

My secret weapon for sprinting as a CatIII bike racer in San Diego back in the day was to train on a steel cog and then swap my chain and put on my aluminum cog for a leisurly 25 mile crit. A six-to-eight ounce difference in the acceleration of the rear wheel was dramatic. Even more so when you consider that the mass difference between a racing wheel and training wheel was confined mainly to the rotating center and NOT the rim itself. I could even tell the diference in acceleration on my 95' 993 when switching between the factory 16" rims and the 18" turbo rim solids - 16=good, 18=bad. But what you lost in acceleration, you gained in overall handling for other reasons.

YOu got a terrific deal and your car will notice the difference right away - 10 lbs on a powered axle is very significant.
Old 07-17-2009, 05:16 PM
CosmosC4S
Three Wheelin'

Wow, thanks for the enlightenment! If you guys are correct, then facts are facts.

It may help to contribute with the combination of other mods, weight reduction, etc.....but by the 20lbs itself, I still find it hard to believe until I experience it for myself. Still don't think you can actually "feel" the difference though. Like I said, the mind is a powerful thing.

But of course, what do I know, I won't even get into a debate on this.
Old 07-17-2009, 05:44 PM
ArneeA
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, thanks for the enlightenment! If you guys are correct, then facts are facts.

It may help to contribute with the combination of other mods, weight reduction, etc.....but by the 20lbs itself, I still find it hard to believe until I experience it for myself. Still don't think you can actually "feel" the difference though. Like I said, the mind is a powerful thing.

But of course, what do I know, I won't even get into a debate on this.

20lbs of unspring weight is different than 20lbs of sprung weight.

It WILL be felt, for sure. From going to lighter brake calipers and rotors, even lighter wheels, lighter TIRES, lug nuts (maybe a little too much).

If you're the type of driver who lugs around town, you won't feel it. If you're the enthusiast who enjoys driving the car, you will notice a difference, especially when the weight shifts side-side and fore-aft.
Old 07-17-2009, 05:49 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

I run the hollows off a TT as my summer wheels and there is a difference to be felt from the original non-hollows. rotating unsprung weight turns into mass at a factor of 6:1.
Old 07-17-2009, 10:11 PM
weatherthedecision
Intermediate

Gorgeous wheels man. I'm sure you'll feel the difference the first time you push her. Enjoy =)
Old 07-17-2009, 10:15 PM
rotokim
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Rims look great! Congratulations. Can't wait to see them tomorrow.
Bob
Old 07-17-2009, 10:18 PM
ArneeA
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love that finish work on those hollows. Good price too with tires. I miss the turbo twists. Good looking, OEM wheels!

Quick Reply: My New-To-Me Hollows