996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Need help with a VFE Supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 01:58 AM
TTJunkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with a VFE Supercharger

I'm wondering how I clean the air filter in the VFE supercharger kit. It looks like I'll have to disconnect the charge-cooler, dismount the overflow reservoir, unhook the mass airflow sensor then disconnect the intake and wiggle the whole thing out. There must be a way that doesn't require uninstalling the entire kit???
Old 06-26-2009, 04:17 AM
Meister Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Dude, you make it sound like we're all running SC's or something.

Why don't you call them 714-528-0066.
If they can't explain it over the phone, I'm close to Anaheim so please ask them to install one on my 996.
I promise to post detailed pics.

Seriously a 996 C2 with an SC and 420hp must be amazing like a GT2.....
Old 06-26-2009, 12:31 PM
TTJunkie

Meister Fahrer:
I've asked many times. Both Sales (Sean Crary) and Engineering (Nik Saran) have been unresponsive.
As for performance, I had an X51 motor with an EVO CAI and a PowerChip X51 program that brought output to 400hp, so the VFE Supercharger was just a waste of money (they told me they had an X51 program, but they don't). Now I'm stuck with a nominal intake and an impossible to clean air filter. Not my best purchase...
Old 06-26-2009, 12:35 PM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Seems a little far fetched that you got 400hp out of a CAI and a chip. I don't see how that's possible.
Old 06-26-2009, 12:45 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

you have to take out the silicone hose from the throttle body and cooler, disconnect hose from cooler and charger. Remove intake from the charger. (need to remove the metal strip that holds/cover the bumper).. lift up the cooler and reservoir (no need to disconnect the water lines) out of the way. Remove intake tubing holding the MAF... (remove maf first).... from here you should have access to the filter.

Brush off all the dirt from the filter and blow out all the dirt from the inside out.... refer to K&N filter website for an official way of cleaning it.

30 min job if you know what to do....
Old 06-26-2009, 02:29 PM
996SC
7th Gear

TTjunkie,
You're not alone, I gave up asking VF for advise.
They either don't respond to email or give stupid answer "please refer to the instruction manual".
I found this forum about their poor support & services :

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=4416837

I bought my VF supercharger from Evom few years ago, they still give me support & answer my questions without fail.
You may want to call Evolution motorsport at 480-317-9911
Old 06-26-2009, 02:33 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TTJunkie
As for performance, I had an X51 motor with an EVO CAI and a PowerChip X51 program that brought output to 400hp, so the VFE Supercharger was just a waste of money

That SC is worth 670 hp, your motor isnt even putting stress on it.

The SC is not a waste.

I had the same one on my '69 Camaro. I ran the full 20 lbs of boost (it was maxxed) and revved a 5.7L motor to 8,000 between shifts - sometimes it would hit 8500.

My point, it is a big blower for a tiny motor.
Old 06-26-2009, 07:25 PM
TTJunkie

MedTech, the X51 is a 345-355 horsepower motor , the PowerChip adds 15-18 horsepower, the CAI adds about the same. There are also 100 cell cats, a free-flow plenum and low restriction mufflers. Easily 400 horsepower. So, the total gain after replacement was nominal since I had to rip out a great X51 program and put in timing for stock cams, headers and manifolds loosing all performance gains from the X51, the PowerChip flash and the EVO CAI.

Thanks 996SC, That was a great link; very entertaining.

Thanks Redridge, if I'm not mistaken, your procedure is basically the same as the one I proposed. Still, knowing that it's the only way will make the job much easier.

Tippy, I agree completely. As soon as I can get away for a few days, I'm driving to EVO Motorsports to have the car retuned from scratch.

Thanks guys!
Ric :-)
Old 06-28-2009, 09:51 PM
TTJunkie

I was not able to get to the air filter.
I got the intercooler output disconnected from the bypass valve and the throttle body.
I got the MAF off.
I got the overflow reservoir off.
But the supercharger is too close to the rear to get the intake off without dismantling the supercharger, and the charge-cooler won't lift enough to get the intake tube out from under it. I guess I'll take it to a real mechanic and have them redesign the whole system to allow the air filter to be cleaned, which I suspect will be cheaper than having 80% of the kit removed every 3000 miles.
As a design engineer, I find it difficult to believe anyone would produce such a system.
Still, Redridge can do it in 30 minutes (3.4 liter?).
Old 06-28-2009, 10:22 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

yes.... 30 min, done it 3x already (3.4). Did you take the metal strip off that covers the bumper (4 screws). It will give you room to twist (up) the intake for removal.... that will expose the bottom intake to the cooler. Once that is done, you can move the cooler out of the way. You do not need to take the reservoir off. If you are spending more than a couple of hours on this the 1st time.... then yes, bring it to a mechanic.
Old 06-29-2009, 12:11 PM
TTJunkie

Yes I removed the strip
Old 06-29-2009, 12:44 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

You can remove the fiter by itself by simply removing the 90 degree tube between the cooler and the throttlebody along with the bypass valve. Remove the short tube between SC and cooler. Move the cooler to the left. You then reach in and loosed the clamp on the fiter itself and then pull the filter out. You have to push aside some cables and AC lines to get it out.

Quick Reply: Need help with a VFE Supercharger