Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

996 oversteer corrections at Thunderbolt.

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 05:33 PM
Fissionx
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dell I am aware of this too , but do you or do you not agree that say understeering on exit will scrub off more speed/time on r-comps than street tires. This is just something I have noticed and feel like it is supported by what we are both getting at.
Old 06-24-2009, 05:38 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Fissionx
Dell I am aware of this too , but do you or do you not agree that say understeering on exit will scrub off more speed/time on r-comps than street tires. This is just something I have noticed and feel like it is supported by what we are both getting at.
Aware that you need to read up on this?

As far as the understeer issue, it depends on the situation. But oversteer should be faster if controlled. For example, trailbraking.
Old 06-24-2009, 05:46 PM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
Dan, actually the slip angle is SMALLER on street tires. You really need to read up on slip angle to get a better understanding.
Actually, slip angle changes depending on many factors, "optimal" slip angle is smaller on street tires. During a full opposite lock slide for example, it'll be rather high for the rear tires regardless of compound.

This is the sort of thing I'd like to avoid wasting time on, by having you ride in my car or let me ride in yours. You go to VIR often enough don't you?
But oversteer should be faster if controlled. For example, trailbraking.
Or on corner exit...
Old 06-24-2009, 05:54 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Ahmet
Actually, slip angle changes depending on many factors, "optimal" slip angle is smaller on street tires. During a full opposite lock slide for example, it'll be rather high for the rear tires regardless of compound.

This is the sort of thing I'd like to avoid wasting time on, by having you ride in my car or let me ride in yours. You go to VIR often enough don't you?

Or on corner exit...
I don't consider this wasting time. If you do, then we aren't going to get along very well. You are using terminology that is nothing other than synonymous. Optimal slip angle and just regular ole slip angle is the same thing. The "optimal" slip angle of the tire IS the slip angle of the tire. Staying inside the slip angle of tire is optimal. Make sense?

Yes, I am usually at VIR quite often. However, not in the coming months as I have another baby on the way. In fact, I had to cancel for this weeks race at VIR.

But if we are at VIR at the same time (or any track) and I have time I'd be happy to jump in the car with you.
Old 06-24-2009, 06:23 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Ahmet
I'm of the thought that a small slip angle is required to go fast, and if you never have to open the wheel, you're not pushing very hard.
I'm a little confused. Are you referring to yaw when you say slip? You really shouldn't have any oversteer with a small slip angle, since you need some slip angle to turn the car anyway.

You would need to countersteer when you exceed the traction limits of the rear tires first and have excessive yaw angle (oversteer) - but you will still have some slip angle - just the rear slip angle will probably be greater than the front. However, you can also exceed the traction limits of the front tires first (aka understeer) [again you will still have some slip angle, just the front will probably be greater than the rear]. Both situations illustrate exceeding the tires limit and that you are "pushing hard," although the method for correction is typically different.

-td

Last edited by himself; 06-24-2009 at 07:43 PM.
Old 06-24-2009, 07:24 PM
DCP
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You really need to read up on slip angle to get a better understanding.
Hey, Dell. Just wondering what books you have found helpful. I've got the Going Faster book by Carl Lopez, which is very helpful. Anything else that you recommend?

I know that nothing really beats getting instruction, but I am kind of tuition challenged for the time being.
Old 06-24-2009, 08:51 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

The best book series I have read is Ross Bentley's Speed Secrets. What I have found is that while you are correct, nothing beats good instruction, the book allows you to have in your mind what you want to translate on the track. There are several sections that I like to read before a race weekend. Really gets me in the right "mind set".
Old 06-25-2009, 03:07 AM
Meister Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Ahmet, thanks for sharing the video. It's hard to tell with the video, but it looks like the track is especially slippery. I've never driven a track in the rain, but it looks like you kept it straight.

Obviously we're driving street cars so there are some limits....
Old 06-26-2009, 02:38 AM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rkPdMI9XxU

Quick Reply: 996 oversteer corrections at Thunderbolt.