Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

It's all fun and games till someone loses an eye.

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 11:34 PM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by uberskier
Wow, but I'm thinking (could be wrong) that a windshield is cheaper than the front hood (repainting and repairing). Perhaps you have glass coverage?

Or both at once like recently happened to me in my Boxster S. I was just merging right to move over for an upcoming exit and the car in front of me launched what looked like some sort of metal tool like a ratchet or such, appox. 12 inches long. His rear tire picked it up off the highway surface. There was about 1 second from the time I saw it lift off, hit, and disappear. ( There's an entrance-exit situation right there so traffic always tends to tighten up. I was fairly close.) First strike was right in front of me, about one foot down from the windshield on the front hood. It scraped it's way up the front hood kind of heading towards the passenger side. Then it struck the bottom of the windshield, scraped it's way up, flipped, and struck the top of the windshield, breaking it. The actual strike that broke it was the same spot as in the video.

I was very bummed. It was the first time the car has ever seen so much as a scratch.
However, I was telling my tale to a friend who owns a auto repair shop. He told me a tale of one of his customers whom had a very similar experience with a much grimmer result. Bottom line - his customer was killed.

After hearing that story I felt very lucky indeed. Had the object been 10 inches higher when I got there, first strike would have been the windshield, right in front of me. And again, it was WAY bigger than a 4" bolt. It could have easily been curtains for me.
I thanked my boxster for taking the scars for me that day and promised her an early oil change!

Phil

ps You boys weren't exceeding any speed limits during the making of that video, right?
Old 06-21-2009, 11:46 PM
RollingArt
Drifting

Originally Posted by cdodkin
Ed, that blonde wig really suits you, haven't seen you looking like that before

I used it for these two test runs - with a Flip MinoHD camcorder - first video is mounted outside on the 996, 2nd is mounted inside windshield on the Land Rover

http://gallery.me.com/c.dodkin#100074

http://gallery.me.com/c.dodkin#100080

That mount works awesome! Nice video from the 996 exterior.

What say yee, about the illegal U turn, right in front of the sheriff, at the end of the video??

Phil
Old 06-22-2009, 12:53 AM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RollingArt
That mount works awesome! Nice video from the 996 exterior.

What say yee, about the illegal U turn, right in front of the sheriff, at the end of the video??

Phil
I'd survived the other two cops on the hill, so I figured I just wanted to get to the restaurant and cool down!

It was like cop central that day - I know they're out to get me....
Old 06-22-2009, 02:52 AM
Eharrison
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cdodkin
Ed, that blonde wig really suits you, haven't seen you looking like that before

Catching the bolt sucks - but catching it on video is kinda cool.

You mentioned camera mounts...

Heres what you need - Delkin Fat Gecko (made locally in Poway)

http://www.delkin.com/products/acces...fat-gecko.html

You can mount inside the windshield, or outside the car - lots of flexibility, and an extremely solid mount for video or stills. (Loads to 7 lbs)

I used it for these two test runs - with a Flip MinoHD camcorder - first video is mounted outside on the 996, 2nd is mounted inside windshield on the Land Rover

http://gallery.me.com/c.dodkin#100074

http://gallery.me.com/c.dodkin#100080
Thanks for the info. And when I go in drag I'm always a brunette.

Originally Posted by Meister Fahrer
Hey Ed, that's a drag, but pretty amazing slo-mo video there!

Then watching the video through the cracked glass is kind of hard core, like some kind of Jesse James reality chase show, ha.

Funny can really hear your car when the Helmholz kicks in and resonates in the cabin....

Who's the blonde, and what'd you do with Paris?
It is kinda neat that the glass is cracked but I would have rather have done it in photoshop......

And the blonde is.......

I'll probably take it down....copyright issues.....
Old 06-22-2009, 02:53 AM
Eharrison
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by RollingArt
Or both at once like recently happened to me in my Boxster S. I was just merging right to move over for an upcoming exit and the car in front of me launched what looked like some sort of metal tool like a ratchet or such, appox. 12 inches long. His rear tire picked it up off the highway surface. There was about 1 second from the time I saw it lift off, hit, and disappear. ( There's an entrance-exit situation right there so traffic always tends to tighten up. I was fairly close.) First strike was right in front of me, about one foot down from the windshield on the front hood. It scraped it's way up the front hood kind of heading towards the passenger side. Then it struck the bottom of the windshield, scraped it's way up, flipped, and struck the top of the windshield, breaking it. The actual strike that broke it was the same spot as in the video.

I was very bummed. It was the first time the car has ever seen so much as a scratch.
However, I was telling my tale to a friend who owns a auto repair shop. He told me a tale of one of his customers whom had a very similar experience with a much grimmer result. Bottom line - his customer was killed.

After hearing that story I felt very lucky indeed. Had the object been 10 inches higher when I got there, first strike would have been the windshield, right in front of me. And again, it was WAY bigger than a 4" bolt. It could have easily been curtains for me.
I thanked my boxster for taking the scars for me that day and promised her an early oil change!

Phil

ps You boys weren't exceeding any speed limits during the making of that video, right?
Wow, doesn't take much to change your life does it? Scary sometimes.
Old 06-22-2009, 10:23 AM
function12
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Eharrison
Yeah, I've had a string of bad luck lately and when it hit I just saw it and figured, "Well should have I expected any less?". I was going through the other videos and everyonce and a while you hear a big sigh. It's kinda funny hearing them while watching them.

And Marlon, no one threw a bolt. It came from the road.
Why does it always seem to be that way?? I get in the same rut at times. If it weren't for bad luck I would have no luck.
I would have called it a day after that but I guess it is better to just roll with the punches and kicks and rock throwing and....
Old 06-22-2009, 02:07 PM
Tommy Carrera
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Few years ago a car ahead of me picked up a 14" section of sign post off the road and slung it at me in my Ford Focus going 75.

How do I know it was 14"? Because I measured it after pulling it out of the headrest on the passenger side.
Old 06-23-2009, 12:00 AM
RollingArt
Drifting

Originally Posted by Tommy Carrera
Few years ago a car ahead of me picked up a 14" section of sign post off the road and slung it at me in my Ford Focus going 75.

How do I know it was 14"? Because I measured it after pulling it out of the headrest on the passenger side.

OMG !!! That's way too scary. You must have been in a daze for a spell after that one, and probably happy to be alive! And super thankful that you didn't have a passenger?

Phil
Old 06-23-2009, 12:19 AM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts

Awesme video Ed. Nice to see those enjoying the spirit of the 911. Where in Ca is that section of road located? We just don't have runs like that in CT. BTW how fast where you guys traveling on some of the straight sections. Looks like a lot of fun. Keep safe and watch out for the road debris.

Jay
Old 06-23-2009, 12:28 AM
Eharrison
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by DJ23
Awesme video Ed. Nice to see those enjoying the spirit of the 911. Where in Ca is that section of road located? We just don't have runs like that in CT. BTW how fast where you guys traveling on some of the straight sections. Looks like a lot of fun. Keep safe and watch out for the road debris.

Jay
Thanks! It's down in Southern California between San Diego and LA, near Temecula and Escondido. It's only fun when you get out early. Less traffic and the guys that go on these are reasonable when driving, no one acts like an ***, but we do have fun.

And as for straight sections...A girl never tells her age......

When there's no posted speed limit the highest you can go is 65.....
Old 06-23-2009, 02:02 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

What a stroke of bad luck. What's most incredible about this is that clearly the targa way up in front of you flung it up from the roadway,--and was WAY out there in front of you. You weren't even tailgating.

But I noticed that you tend to cross the double-yellow line on the curves,--you have a Porsche! You don't need to do that! Stay on your side! :-)
Old 06-23-2009, 02:06 AM
Eharrison
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Edgy01
What a stroke of bad luck. What's most incredible about this is that clearly the targa way up in front of you flung it up from the roadway,--and was WAY out there in front of you. You weren't even tailgating.

But I noticed that you tend to cross the double-yellow line on the curves,--you have a Porsche! You don't need to do that! Stay on your side! :-)
Yeah I know.... The double line. I was trying to catch up and only "shave" when I know if someone was coming around the corner, I'd be on the right side before they see me!!!! I know, I know ...I do honestly feel the same way.
Old 06-23-2009, 11:41 AM
ArneeA
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah... double yellow..
Old 06-23-2009, 05:43 PM
ppashley
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice videos.
Look like a whole lot of fun, you were shifting alright.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:18 AM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts

[And as for straight sections...A girl never tells her age......

When there's no posted speed limit the highest you can go is 65..... ]

Great answer Ed. Keep enjoying the life my friend. I have a question. Previously I have read that some have gone touring in the canyons. Is that drive near there? And if not have you driven the canyons and how does it compare to this drive. Again thanks for the video it makes you want to go out and drive.

Jay

Quick Reply: It's all fun and games till someone loses an eye.