Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Engine back in the car, but won't start!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 08:56 PM
Marlon
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bob - what about "Japs'? It's in about a thousand posts on hundreds of threads.

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Marlon, please note that to some people of asian descent the term "nips" is considered derogatory. Please use proper terms going forward.

Thanks,
Old 07-01-2009, 10:31 PM
springgeyser
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dharn- Always nice that you are sharing your experience with others.

Originally Posted by Marlon
Bob - what about "Japs'? It's in about a thousand posts on hundreds of threads.
Not sure whether you are just trying to push buttons or just oblivious. I always forget about my ethnicity until I am stupidly reminded out of the blue.
Old 07-01-2009, 10:35 PM
C4CRNA
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Japs is much better.
Old 07-02-2009, 02:23 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by C4CRNA
Japs is much better.
Marlon..all.. We are about DONE with this portion of the conversation, please keep this thread on subject. Thank you!
Do I make myself clear Marlon?
Old 07-02-2009, 04:09 PM
Dharn55
Drifting

Received 174 Likes on 107 Posts

Thanks Marc, it did seem to be going off topic in a BAD way.
Old 07-02-2009, 04:44 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Well Dharn it, are you going to give us some pics or what?

I've seen the valvetrain on a 996TT before on Pelican, loved to see the M96.
Old 07-02-2009, 10:25 PM
Dharn55
Drifting

Just trying to find the time. Should have them tomorrow
Old 07-03-2009, 10:34 AM
Todds911
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Dharn55,

I am pretty new here and I have a 1999 now. I did some searches a while back, and I thought you were one of the guys considering a 3.6 conversion. I think you were also researching or asking about rebuilds of 3.4's. I could be wrong since I've looked at some many posts, but I thought this was in 2008 when you were posting this.

So, I have missed the bridge from your earlier posts to now. What did you end up doing? The conversion? Rebuilding your 3.4? May I ask what was your engine failure and the cost to fix? It sounds like you ended up dropping the engine yourself? I did this as a complete amateur on my old 1983 911. Not too hard, especially with no water cooling system.

So after all your research, what is your conclusion on going about dealing with a 3.4 failure? I do not have an issue yet, and hopefully never will, but wondering if the 3.6 conversions have evolved since the older posts I have read (I don't see any shops advertising this service on the net - you may have been the guy who said the Rookes does it for $5k turnkey? I assume this does not include the cost of the motor since they are $7k on Ebay??).

If anything, given all the potential fires, I think I plan on at least buying one of those mountable fire extinguishers.

Let me know your thoughts. It's funny, I was looking for the 3.4 issue to have evolved, over the years, into some type of simpler fix, but it seems that I have learned that Porsche just seems to keep raising the prices on the 3.4.

Thanks,
Todd
Old 07-03-2009, 12:28 PM
Marlon
Drifting

Default Humble apology form Marlon:

Folks - My sincerest and humblest apologies to the entire Rennlist subscribership for my poor choice of vernacular and sarcasm. Bad judgement on my part and I accept responsibility in it's entirety. This is a great place - a mini social microcosm of great folks centering around legendary and great cars. So hopefully the aire is officially cleared and the steam subsided. I truly, truly apologize.

BTW: shop says my brand new reman is ok - it was overfilled by about 1.5 qts as well as the coolant overfilled. I can't believe how fast this thing is - even a heavy, C4 Tip!!!

Originally Posted by Marc Gelefsky
Marlon..all.. We are about DONE with this portion of the conversation, please keep this thread on subject. Thank you!
Do I make myself clear Marlon?
Old 07-03-2009, 12:55 PM
Todds911
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Marlon,

What are you having put in, a 3.4? If so, may I ask the cost, and what happened to your original engine? I see you say "remanufactured," will that take car or the OEM 3.4 historical potential issues?

I've been researching the 3.6 conversion. It seems you only need to remap the ECU and swap the throttle bodies, I thiink. And of course, find a 3.6.

thx
Old 07-03-2009, 08:00 PM
Dharn55
Drifting

OK, just set up a new post/thread with lots of pictures of the cams.
Take a look and let me know what you think.

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...ded-plugs.html
Old 07-03-2009, 09:18 PM
Marlon
Drifting

Todd - here's the deal: I was looking for a 996 and noticed that they are very attractively priced and during my search I found a 99' C4 Tip with 54K miles that had a Porsche remanufactured engine put in 1K miles ago. The body and interior were VERY, very great. I wanted a newer car, but since I could have a 99' with a reman engine or an 01' with maybe 10K less miles for about the same price I chose the 99' w/the 3.4L reman. The dealer I bought the car from originally sold it (used) to the PO and it started developing a 'tick' soon after. The dealer actually bought the car BACK from the PO and confirmed the impending failure thru a second reliable source and bit the bullet for the reman. The engine was purchased from a local dealer (HBL I think) for $8.2K and was another $2.6K for R&R and odds & ends. I am happy with it. Even with the Tip and 4WD it has more git up and go than my two 993s. I think I would have liked overstuffed seats though - but I ain't complaining.

Originally Posted by Todds911
Marlon,

What are you having put in, a 3.4? If so, may I ask the cost, and what happened to your original engine? I see you say "remanufactured," will that take car or the OEM 3.4 historical potential issues?

I've been researching the 3.6 conversion. It seems you only need to remap the ECU and swap the throttle bodies, I thiink. And of course, find a 3.6.

thx

Quick Reply: Engine back in the car, but won't start!!!