Sponsored by:

996 Swaybar Options ??

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 11:35 AM
tricki
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 996 Swaybar Options ??

ok - i have a 1999 996 C2, and just purchased a used set of gt3 coilovers, and have been looking into sway bar options. i would like to go w/ gt3's but am finding it difficult to source (dropped an email into suncoast this morning).

also have read good things about the h&r's, which seem easily available and resonably priced new.

has anyone used eibach's? found these on ebay => http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Eibac...Q5fAccessories

seemed to be priced well.

any input would be much appreciated

rich
Old 05-29-2009, 11:45 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 261 Posts

GT3 sways can also be bought at Paragon who is a sponsor here. Difference is weight. If you are using it for street, the consensus here is that H&R is fine and not worth the GT3 premium.
Old 05-29-2009, 01:29 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by tricki
ok - i have a 1999 996 C2, and just purchased a used set of gt3 coilovers, and have been looking into sway bar options. i would like to go w/ gt3's but am finding it difficult to source (dropped an email into suncoast this morning).

also have read good things about the h&r's, which seem easily available and resonably priced new.

has anyone used eibach's? found these on ebay => http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Eibac...Q5fAccessories

seemed to be priced well.

any input would be much appreciated

rich
Search is your friend.

Also, try www.tarett.com for sways and links.

-td
Old 05-29-2009, 02:11 PM
tricki
AutoX

thanks guys. been searching around and didn't find to much on the eibachs. found trg's, h&r's, mix -n- match h&r / gt3's.

gonna keep trolling around

rich
Old 05-29-2009, 04:16 PM
eDoug
Instructor

Originally Posted by himself
Search is your friend.

Also, try www.tarett.com for sways and links.

-td
+1 on the Tarett site. Also great folks to deal with. Ira is awesome.

I put the GT3's on w/Tarett links and had them set relatively firm (1 from stiff rear, middle front) for a DE a few weeks back. With those, and the PSS9s set to firm, the car was really a huge, huge improvement over stock. It took me dozens of laps to even get comfortable with the new handling. Also - camber set about as aggressively as I could go without additional mods. I didn't time the difference - but it's much faster, much more stable, and now I'm trying to play catch up again with my driving skills relative to the car's capabilities.

On the down side, I thought it was a little stiff for the street and wondered if I had made a mistake.

I went back to my mechanic to dial out some of the camber - no DEs for a while - and set up the suspension a bit softer. I went full soft on the GT3 bars and I'm actually thinking it's too floaty now. My point is, with adjustable suspension and enough patience, you can dial in exactly what you want, track, street, compromise, etc. That's the best thing about the GT3 sways in my opinion.

In the end, I couldn't be happier with my setup. For less than $4k or so, including labor, I feel like it's a different car and I have the option to change it relatively easily any time I want.

Good luck - search around - lot's of other posts on this subject.
Old 05-29-2009, 06:53 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

thanks guys. been searching around and didn't find to much on the eibachs.
Might be a reason for this...

-td
Old 05-29-2009, 08:26 PM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Since you have GT3 coilovers just get GT3 swaybars and stock GT3 drop links. You don't need to have adj drop links unless you plan to corner balance your car and play with the preload on the sway bars.

This advice is a WAG since you didn't state how you intend to use the car or desire to achieve.

Sources for the GT3 bars... any Pcar dealer may have them in stock call around. That is what I did when I was getting 2 sets of them a while back.

Trending Topics

Old 06-01-2009, 02:14 PM
Darren
Burning Brakes

I have a pair of H&Rs on my car that I need to take off and sell. I'm going much stiffer on the springs and these sway bars are a little too big for what I'm doing.
Old 06-01-2009, 02:32 PM
eDoug
Instructor

Originally Posted by Paul 996
Since you have GT3 coilovers just get GT3 swaybars and stock GT3 drop links. You don't need to have adj drop links unless you plan to corner balance your car and play with the preload on the sway bars.

This advice is a WAG since you didn't state how you intend to use the car or desire to achieve.

Sources for the GT3 bars... any Pcar dealer may have them in stock call around. That is what I did when I was getting 2 sets of them a while back.
Unless you have GT3 wheel carriers, I don't think you can put on GT3 sways on the stock 996 front without replacing the drop links.
Old 06-01-2009, 03:18 PM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

Incorrect... He has GT3 shocks/springs. The drop link attaches to a collar that is threaded onto the shock body. Nothing to do with the wheel carriers. See 1st pic.

2nd pic shows a stock C2 rear unit next to a GT3 rear unit with respective drop links still attached.

Originally Posted by eDoug
Unless you have GT3 wheel carriers, I don't think you can put on GT3 sways on the stock 996 front without replacing the drop links.
Attached Images   
Old 06-01-2009, 03:55 PM
eDoug
Instructor

Originally Posted by Paul 996
Incorrect... He has GT3 shocks/springs. The drop link attaches to a collar that is threaded onto the shock body.
Sorry - you are correct! Was thinking about my own setup with the Bilsteins. In that case, it's kind of a no-brainer, isn't it?
Old 06-01-2009, 04:56 PM
tricki
AutoX

thanks for the continued input!!

Paul 996 - As I was unpacking my coil-overs I discovered all parts were included EXCEPT the 3 locking nuts as pictured in your second pic. Do you know the part numbers or a source for them by chance? I have been speaking to a couple of dealers and they can't seem to find the part numbers on PET.

Many thanks

rich
Old 06-01-2009, 05:06 PM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

Your right it is not identified in PET but it is pictured. A tip may be that they have a 993 part # on them. LVDELL once found that the collar that the drop link connects to is a 993 part # as well. Worth a shot for a parts guy willing to research it.

thanks for the continued input!!

Paul 996 - As I was unpacking my coil-overs I discovered all parts were included EXCEPT the 3 locking nuts as pictured in your second pic. Do you know the part numbers or a source for them by chance? I have been speaking to a couple of dealers and they can't seem to find the part numbers on PET.

Many thanks

rich

Quick Reply: 996 Swaybar Options ??