Sponsored by:

Drought Level 2 in San Diego

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 01:07 PM
rudy1024
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drought Level 2 in San Diego

Today is the first day of Drought Level 2 here and the practical application of the restrictions for me is car washing. At Level 2, you can still wash your car at home, but you have to bucket wash and the hose needs to be turned off when not in use. I already do that (watching people that waste water because they don't shut off the water when they aren't rinsing has always irked me). So, at this point, no affect. If the Drought Level increases to 3, you're not allowed to wash your car at home at all - you have to go to a commercial facility... which I am very reluctant to do. Has anyone tried the waterless car wash products (the one I've seen is Optimum No Rinse & Wash & Shine)? Does these products work as advertised and has anyone that has used it get good results (clean with no streaking or swirl marks, etc.)? Not panicking yet - but looking for an alternative if necessary.

Thanks,
Rudy
Old 06-01-2009, 01:30 PM
Dave!
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why not look around for a self-serve wash place where you get access to hoses? Bring a bucket, some soap and your own sponge (never know if the soap/sponge dispensers they have will have any grit in them) and get to washing.
Old 06-01-2009, 01:30 PM
Michael-Dallas
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

We have had your drought level 3 equivalent here in North Texas the past few years. I take my cars to a coin-op car wash where I use the equipment and chemicals there. It really saves me a ton of time.

If you don't want to use the equipment and chemicals at the coin-op carwash, then bring your bucket, soap, sponge mitts, and alot of change because you'll be just renting the high pressure water hose at that point.

///Michael
Old 06-01-2009, 01:38 PM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Rudy,

During the summer I never use water on my car.
Basically you use a California Car Duster to wipe down the car; then use a quick detail mist to get any dirt spots or poo; then follow w/ a NanoWax.

If you want specifics/product names then PM me.

Aaron
Old 06-01-2009, 02:00 PM
ajayabb
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Here's a Photo of my car after washing it with Optimum No Rinse
Attached Images  
Old 06-01-2009, 02:12 PM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 111 Posts

I just picked up some Optimum No Rinse last month. I've used it twice so far and I've been very impressed with it. It does take me a little longer than standard washing but that's probably because I'm being extra cautious with it until I feel more comfortable. A single 2 gallon bucket, a grit gaurd, a sponge, and some microfibers and you're all set to go. I live in an apartment building with a multilevel garage so this is really made my life easier...
Old 06-01-2009, 02:35 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

+1 on Optimum No Rinse. I originally bought the stuff so I could use it to give my car a "sponge bath" during the cold winter months, but I'm using it more and more throughout the year...I think the car looks glossier using ONR vs a regular car shampoo ritual.
Old 06-01-2009, 03:18 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Turn your water off when not using the hose? You guys don't have nozzels on the west coast?
Old 06-01-2009, 03:57 PM
mtl911sc
Instructor

Big +1 - Optimum No Rinse is the sh-t
Old 06-01-2009, 05:14 PM
rudy1024
Pro

Originally Posted by washington dc porsche
Turn your water off when not using the hose? You guys don't have nozzels on the west coast?
We do have nozzles, but stopping the water from running is only as good as the washer at the end of the hose - and I don't keep a dedicated car wash hose. Point being, if you get caught having sheets of water coming of your driveway because the nozzle shut off only stopped the water at the nozzle end and not the spigot, you can get a ticket... Plus, the city passed out these little "water-ticket" things in the newspaper, so you too (or the neighbor you don't get along with) can report someone for violating the new rules... (silly, I know...)

Anyway, looks like a lot of thumbs up on the Optimum stuff - at $16/32 oz bottle, it's worth a shot.

Thanks!
Rudy
Old 06-01-2009, 05:46 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

++ Optimum No Rinse Works well.
Old 06-01-2009, 06:39 PM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds so good, I just ordered it myself.
Old 06-01-2009, 07:15 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ohhh, it's a shortage of washers, I see.

Originally Posted by rudy1024
We do have nozzles, but stopping the water from running is only as good as the washer at the end of the hose - and I don't keep a dedicated car wash hose. Point being, if you get caught having sheets of water coming of your driveway because the nozzle shut off only stopped the water at the nozzle end and not the spigot, you can get a ticket... Plus, the city passed out these little "water-ticket" things in the newspaper, so you too (or the neighbor you don't get along with) can report someone for violating the new rules... (silly, I know...)

Anyway, looks like a lot of thumbs up on the Optimum stuff - at $16/32 oz bottle, it's worth a shot.

Thanks!
Rudy
Old 06-01-2009, 08:23 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by washington dc porsche
Ohhh, it's a shortage of washers, I see.
LMAO!

Quick Reply: Drought Level 2 in San Diego