Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

question about window regulator and switches

Old 08-07-2010, 12:29 PM
dailydriverC4s
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to dig back up such an old thread but I am having similar problems with my drivers side window on an '02 C4S. The window only drops an 1/8th or 1/16th when opening the door. Holding the handle makes no difference, and if I push the window down by hand to a 1/2 inch with the door open it comes back up normally when closing the door normally

Window works perfectly with the power window switch... Any thoughts?

Last edited by dailydriverC4s; 08-07-2010 at 12:59 PM.
Old 08-18-2010, 12:22 AM
dailydriverC4s
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so now that I have posted some "Newbie Pics".... any thoughts? Do I need to replace the regulator?
Old 08-06-2011, 06:33 AM
kkswow12
Drifting

Received 102 Likes on 76 Posts

hay,dd, whatever happened with your window problem? i have that exact situation now, seems a bit different than all the other problems, like maybe the cable is stretched or something is loose holding the window in the front, howe you get this, it has been anotheryear since update, thanks in advance, kevin
Old 05-03-2012, 03:30 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by garrett376
A quick update that might be helpful - I bought a $5 microswitch from Digi-key.com and successfully repaired the locking mechanism by dissecting a new switch, using the new plunger and seal. Fortunately the Porsche switch can be disassembled without breaking it apart - I broke apart the new switch and everything fit together perfectly. All is well, saving from having to buy the entire lock for this small switch!

Thanks for the help.
Garret, per PM, thanks again so much for the solution!

I received the switch from digikey in the mail (darn, that's a tiny switch!), it appears likely that upon opening it, in order to remove the plunger etc, it will likely break the case, as its just too small to crack open smoothly with a blade. Obviously this doesn't matter as I just want the innards - however, is the micro-switch inside the door a similar size and build? If so, I am worried about damaging the casing upon dismantling it. Any advice? (I haven't actually removed the door panel yet and looked at the switch on the actual lock)

Cheers,

--H
Old 05-04-2012, 12:14 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 557 Likes on 424 Posts

Hi Howard,
The Porsche switch popped open easily without being destroyed and snapped right back together with no issues because it's designed to be opened versus the digikey one that's molded together. You can see the tabs on the Porsche switch that lets you pop off the top easily.

Good luck!

Originally Posted by Kahdmus
Garret, per PM, thanks again so much for the solution!

I received the switch from digikey in the mail (darn, that's a tiny switch!), it appears likely that upon opening it, in order to remove the plunger etc, it will likely break the case, as its just too small to crack open smoothly with a blade. Obviously this doesn't matter as I just want the innards - however, is the micro-switch inside the door a similar size and build? If so, I am worried about damaging the casing upon dismantling it. Any advice? (I haven't actually removed the door panel yet and looked at the switch on the actual lock)

Cheers,

--H
Old 05-04-2012, 12:24 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Just another note - this fix is still working almost 3 years later.
The following users liked this post:
TopPorscheFan (08-31-2019)
Old 05-12-2012, 06:19 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Finally got around to looking at this fix today.

The door panel came off easily in a few minutes, with no broken plastic tabs or scuffed leather

However, upon removal of the panel and peeling back the sound deadening material, I was left with a couple of questions before proceeding (plus it seems I'm missing a couple sizes of torx sockets):

Firstly, Is this the lock assembly I need to remove?

Is it just the 2 black torx bolts on the side of the door that hold the lock assembly in place?

Is it necessary to remove the metal bracket below to slide the assembly out? If so, how many bolts hold it in place? It looks like 4 bolts, including the right lower corner bolt that holds the air bag in-place (behind the liner in the picture)?

or

Cheers,

--H
Old 05-12-2012, 09:57 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Remove the 2 black torx bolts, then carefully withdraw it... there's a plastic tab that inserts into the door lock cylinder that you need to be careful of.
Old 05-14-2012, 01:45 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Will it slide out without removing the bracket?

Don't suppose you know offhand what size the large torx bolts are?

Cheers,
Old 05-14-2012, 05:11 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 47 Posts

I've got to do the same fix on mine, and it's not a torx bit you need for the lock assembly, it's a triple square bit. I bought a set a a local automotive parts store...not very expensive.
Attached Images  
Old 05-19-2012, 07:21 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 47 Posts

Just completed the fix using cannibalized parts from the Digi Key switch and everything is working properly.

Important note: When you put it back together, make sure you adjust the lock mechanism high enough (see bolts in pic) so that the cam is pushed down by the jamb latch on opening to activate the microswitch.
You can see in this photo that the cam hasn't been push down far enough, so a quick loosening of the bolts and moving the assembly up by 2mm would make it work properly.
Attached Images  
Old 06-23-2012, 10:53 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

You guys cursed me... I have to do this on my other car now!
Old 06-24-2012, 07:33 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

So to answer Howard's question above since I just took it all apart: yes I did need to remove the gold colored bracket to make it easier to slide the unit out. Also, I did need to remove the 2 10mm nuts on the back of the door handle so I could pull out the latch unit without breaking the lock mechanism that inserts into it.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:34 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,578 Likes on 985 Posts

My Boxster just starting doing this same thing: with the door open, the window rises up to the top. I will be looking into performing this switch replacement. Thanks everyone!
Old 08-20-2013, 12:56 AM
d0lph1n
Intermediate

Please let me know which micro switch is damaged:

- with the door open when I pull and release the outside/inside handle the window goes down and up immediately. After that, If I want to close the door after I touched the outside handle (window up), I have to bring the door as close to the car as possible without closing it. The moment the latch touches the striker the window goes down and stays there and now I can close the door. If I push the latch's mechanism with my finger, the window goes down and stay there.

- when I open the door from inside..everything is fine..and window goes down and stays there. I can close the door without any issue.

Thank you

Last edited by d0lph1n; 08-21-2013 at 02:19 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: question about window regulator and switches