Sponsored by:

PPI Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 10:14 AM
SKooT1027
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PPI Question

Well, I think I found my car . The car is down in TX and I got a very good price on it. I called in yesterday, and the car was actually already at Park Place Porsche & Bentley, in the Dallas, TX area (anyone know how good they are) getting a PPI. The guy that got the PPI was interested in the car, but could not get financing and was told the car would not be held until they could secure financing. They couldn't, and I could. I do not have that PPI in hand, but was read most of it and given a number to someone at the dealership to call and ask about the PPI. Everything seems to check out.

My question, is there any reason this PPI would not be sufficient? I worry a bit that maybe this dealer does a lot of work with the dealership, but at the same time I feel like if a dealership didn't perform a PPI up to par, it would come back on them. I am still trying to get through to the person at the dealership to request a copy of this PPI, but should I have an indy perform one as well, or is that overkill?
Old 04-08-2009, 10:31 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,495 Likes on 938 Posts

I think I would want to know a little bit more about the PPI before I made the final decision. It sounds like the other guy paid for it, and so technically the dealership doesn't have to release any information to you. I would think the current owner would also get a copy of the PPI, and perhaps they can provide you with the information. Is this a private seller or is it being sold through the dealer?

I would want to see exactly what the PPI includes. I think some are more thorough than others. I would expect a good one to cost $250 - $300. If you are able to get the details, and you feel that this PPI was indeed thorough, then it should be fine.

Good luck - I hope it works out for you. It is exciting to finally find a good car after searching. Any other details on the car that you can share? Any pics?
Old 04-08-2009, 10:52 AM
SKooT1027
Pro

The car is from a dealer down in Dallas that seems to deal primarily with porsches and other higher end cars. So they have one copy of the PPI, and I guess the guy that was looking at it has the other. He gave me a direct line to a contact at the dealership that did the PPI, so I'm going to ask if I can get a written copy from them. When I call, are there specifics I should ask about regarding what was looked at?

I'm keeping details to a minimum until it's 100% completed, but a deposit is down. Im working on a flight and figuring out time off work prob middle of next week. It's an 02 cab with pretty much every option except hardtop with slightly under 40k miles. More details will be revealed as I finalize the flight, and figure out this PPI thing
Old 04-08-2009, 11:05 AM
SH || NC
Drifting

Before spending any money, get a hardcopy for yourself [which it sounds like you are trying to do]; free or paid for. Verbal conversations mean diddly-squat, especially when flying cross country and spending several thousand dollars. The sellers do not have your best interests at heart.
Old 04-08-2009, 11:12 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Make sure you get a readout of the DME for over revs in range 1 and 2. Range 1 over revs are not much of a concern because they occur when you hit the rev limiter. Range 2 over revs usually occur in a missed down shift and can do damage.

I live just north of Dallas. Let me know if there is anything I can do to assist.
Old 04-08-2009, 11:12 AM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

When I bought my MY99 from a private seller, another interested buyer asked and paid for a PPI, but didn't do the deal. The seller faxed me the actual bill for the PPI(from a Porsche dealer in Conn.) and it contained each item that the technician thought needed attention ie,a broken hinge on the center console, indicated tire wear, brake pad life remaining etc. Be sure to get the actual PPI/report performed...then check back on Rennlist and share the info for opinions. GL
Old 04-08-2009, 11:47 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Aside from the PPI, are service records available for the vehicle? In the 40K miles range, it would be nice to see if the brakes have been replaced, the clutch, etc.
Old 04-08-2009, 11:49 AM
SKooT1027
Pro

Okay I just got through to the dealership that did the PPI. There were two major discrepancies bw what the sales guy said and what the dealership said:

Slight RMS Leak - I asked specifically about this and the seller said no
Clutch is Hard - same story

Other problems:
Needs front pads - Seller is doing
Minor trim issues
Driver seat switch cover is missing (covers seat adjustment buttons)
Rear exhaust tip is broken and rattles slightly

The minor ones don't bother me much since it is a used car. The first two do, since the seller didn't mention these. How would you approach?

Here is the car:
http://www.monroemotorcars.com/cgi-b...1576&d_id=1100

Basic specs:
02 White/Natural 6spd
39250 miles
Full Leather
Bose
Tecknic
PSM
Heated/Power seats
(basically everything but hardtop)

The dealership quoted about $2k for parts/labor for RMS and Clutch at the same time. (Does that sound right)? Is the RMS an issue once it's fixed, or is it fine once it's replaced? I was thinking of saying to take another $1k off (go 50/50) bc of these two necessary (and omitted) issues.

What do you think?

They did not do the overrevs b/c they only do that if it's specifically requested, and the guy didnt ask

edit: fwiw, it was a CPO car when it was sold to the last owner in 06. The seller sent me the CPO paperwork from back then

Last edited by SKooT1027; 07-23-2010 at 05:17 PM.
Old 04-08-2009, 12:08 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Beautiful car. I love the natural interior.

I had the RMS and the intermediate shaft seal done on mine at the dealer for roughly $1,380. So, IMHO, adding the clutch at $2,000 seems pretty reasonable (from a dealer). I'd ask them to cover it, or at the very least to split it with you.
Old 04-08-2009, 12:10 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 262 Posts

Hi Scott,

I guess our meet and chat on Sunday put you over the edge.

Having the brake pads, clutch and RMS replaced would be a good move. You just want to fly down and drive the car back and not worry about maintainance for a while.

Congrats!
Old 04-08-2009, 12:12 PM
SKooT1027
Pro

Originally Posted by Dennis C
Beautiful car. I love the natural interior.

I had the RMS and the intermediate shaft seal done on mine at the dealer for roughly $1,380. So, IMHO, adding the clutch at $2,000 seems pretty reasonable (from a dealer). I'd ask them to cover it, or at the very least to split it with you.
Okay I'll see how much they're willing to do, and maybe if they can even get it done in the next few days before I pick it up. Otherwise, I will take the money off and get it done at a guy up here.

Originally Posted by chsu74
Hi Scott,

I guess our meet and chat on Sunday put you over the edge.

Having the brake pads, clutch and RMS replaced would be a good move. You just want to fly down and drive the car back and not worry about maintainance for a while.

Congrats!
Chao,

It really opened my eyes to look farther and I immediately found a few nice ones. I saw the combo on this one and loved it, and price wise it def beats up here by a good amount of $$. I'll see how much I can get them to cover and update the thread
Old 04-08-2009, 12:22 PM
SKooT1027
Pro

Okay - Update:

I got through to the guy at Monroe (seller).

They are replacing the RMS, Clutch and Front Pads today. I thought they only said front pads. They have their own shop, so they are doing the work. I know it may be extreme, but I shouldn't have to worry about them not actually doing the work, right? Obviously if something came up in the near future I would have the receipt saying the work was done, and it's prob a little overly paranoid, but I want a second opinion.

So basically that will all be taken care of today and good to go by the time I would pick up the car

and completely off topic - it just started snowing in CT - the southern coastal area, not the northern mountainous area. wtf.
Old 04-08-2009, 12:27 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

I would be very wary. You are buying out of state not down the street. Tell them you would like to see the old parts that were swapped out and delivery receipts for the new parts. After all its worth $2K.
Old 04-08-2009, 12:29 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by SKooT1027
Well, I think I found my car . The car is down in TX and I got a very good price on it. I called in yesterday, and the car was actually already at Park Place Porsche & Bentley, in the Dallas, TX area (anyone know how good they are) getting a PPI. The guy that got the PPI was interested in the car, but could not get financing and was told the car would not be held until they could secure financing. They couldn't, and I could. I do not have that PPI in hand, but was read most of it and given a number to someone at the dealership to call and ask about the PPI. Everything seems to check out.

My question, is there any reason this PPI would not be sufficient? I worry a bit that maybe this dealer does a lot of work with the dealership, but at the same time I feel like if a dealership didn't perform a PPI up to par, it would come back on them. I am still trying to get through to the person at the dealership to request a copy of this PPI, but should I have an indy perform one as well, or is that overkill?
FWIW, you can always spend a few extra dollars and get your own PPI done. The Ruf guys do a good job, can do a leak down test, check the paint all over for respray, etc etc. I would guess they could get it done for you today or tomorrow. Peace of mind and all that.

As for Park Place, that's where I bought my car years ago. They have an army of dealerships (Porsche, Bentley, Benz, etc). They are not a bad lot to buy a car from, but I do not use them for service any longer.

Nice car combo! Good luck!

-td
Old 04-08-2009, 12:31 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

That is an excellent idea to get your own PPI done at RUF.

Quick Reply: PPI Question