Sponsored by:

Help on removing AC Compressor

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 08:06 PM
Dharn55
Drifting

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts
Default Help on removing AC Compressor

I finally had some success in trying to remove the AC Compressor on my 996, which the manual make sound so simple. The big challenge was getting at the rear mounting bolt, which is way back in there. I found that by removing the temperature sensor and grommet that fits between intakes 4 & 5 you get an almost straight shot at the bolt. Putting it back together may be just as challenging.

However I now need two more answers from those who have done this before.

First, the manual says to disconnect the electrical plug connection. Is this on the single wire that connects behind the pulley? And do you disconnect is at the plastic piece behind the pulley, or is there another connector I haven’t found yet?

Finally, there are two lines connected to a device mounted to the top rear of the compressor that at first looked like a receiver/dryer. The lines are too short to pull the compressor out of position. In looking at PET this device may be the “fuel cooler” which shows two lines connected to it, but the manual does not mention this device or the fines to it. If they are fuel lines I should be able to disconnect them with loosing the charge on the compressor (which is the whole point in removing the compressor after all). Anyone with any advice on this?
Old 03-06-2009, 12:14 AM
porsche52
Board Certified Porsche Trauma Surgeon
Cayenne Grief Counselor
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Dharn55
I finally had some success in trying to remove the AC Compressor on my 996, which the manual make sound so simple. The big challenge was getting at the rear mounting bolt, which is way back in there. I found that by removing the temperature sensor and grommet that fits between intakes 4 & 5 you get an almost straight shot at the bolt. Putting it back together may be just as challenging.

However I now need two more answers from those who have done this before.

First, the manual says to disconnect the electrical plug connection. Is this on the single wire that connects behind the pulley? And do you disconnect is at the plastic piece behind the pulley, or is there another connector I haven’t found yet?

Finally, there are two lines connected to a device mounted to the top rear of the compressor that at first looked like a receiver/dryer. The lines are too short to pull the compressor out of position. In looking at PET this device may be the “fuel cooler” which shows two lines connected to it, but the manual does not mention this device or the fines to it. If they are fuel lines I should be able to disconnect them with loosing the charge on the compressor (which is the whole point in removing the compressor after all). Anyone with any advice on this?

The answer to your first question is yes, it is the single wire for the a/c clutch. There is a single spade connector that should be zipped tied to the intake/fuel rail area, it will have a clear plastic cover over the connection point. Simply follow the wire from the pully (clutch) and you will find it.

Now is this a 996 N/A or turbo?? From how you described the back bolt for the compressor it sounds like a N/A car. If so, the cylinder you are talking is just a accumulator/reservoir, the reciever/dryer is located in the front trunk next to your battery! This car is not equpped with a fuel cooler, the TURBO is however, witch is probably what you were looking at in PET. What are the two lines you are talking about (a/c lines, High and Low psi) are they held in with allen bolts? There should only be two lines going to the A/C compressor! I belive the Power steering (upper) reservoir must be removed in order to remove your style of A/C compressor, due to the accumulator. Suck out the fluid, turn the lock, pops right out. Dont forget to make shure the aluminum spacer is installed for the back bolt before you re-install the compressor, and I always use a magnet to hold the back bolt up, in order to clear the spacer and allow the compressor to be removed and or installed. Is the system evacuated? Why are you removing the Compressor? Just curious
Old 03-07-2009, 12:49 PM
Dharn55
Drifting

Here are some pictures of the lines and the device attached to the rear of the AC compressor. Any thoughts on what they are would be appreciated.
Attached Images    
Old 03-07-2009, 01:45 PM
Doug Donsbach
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

The two small lines are fuel lines. You'll need to remove those and relocate the compressor without breaking the A/C lines.
Old 03-07-2009, 03:45 PM
porsche52
Board Certified Porsche Trauma Surgeon
Cayenne Grief Counselor
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow I feel stupid, I have never seen those lines on a 996 N/A engine. What year is the car? I can tell you that it is very, very uncommon.
Old 03-07-2009, 04:16 PM
Dharn55
Drifting

Porsche52 - 2000 C4 Cab, NA. Going to try to disconnect them and see what happens. I found the "fuel cooler" in my PET under 996 and 2000, so maybe non-turbos do have one. However, the manual does not say anything about removing or disconnecting it, so who know.
Old 07-04-2014, 07:28 PM
jshalomo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default were they indeed fuel lines?

Originally Posted by Dharn55
Porsche52 - 2000 C4 Cab, NA. Going to try to disconnect them and see what happens. I found the "fuel cooler" in my PET under 996 and 2000, so maybe non-turbos do have one. However, the manual does not say anything about removing or disconnecting it, so who know.
Hi. I am stuck on this step now....were they indeed fuel lines or did freon come gushing out? On my car they look like they tie directly into the compressor.

Last edited by jshalomo; 07-04-2014 at 07:29 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-04-2014, 09:31 PM
stjoh
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 69 Posts

They are fuel lines. Went through the same thing when I replaced my engine. :-)
Old 07-04-2014, 11:27 PM
jshalomo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh that's great news. Thank you.

Quick Reply: Help on removing AC Compressor