Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Why Do You Care So Much About Your Car’s ‘Value’?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 02:10 PM
SH || NC
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Why Do You Care So Much About Your Car’s ‘Value’?

Its certainly not going to appreciate up anytime soon, so why focus on it so much? It’s not an investment, its not real estate, it’s not your 401k, it’s not your kid’s college fund.

If your 996 dropped $5k in ‘value’ tomorrow, what are you going to do? Sell it, or just make another post about it?

So some dingus gets a deal on a 996 just like yours for $10k less than what you paid. Who gives a F? Is your 996 all of a sudden worth $10k less to you? The way I see it, my property taxes are smaller, but its still worth a million to me.

Are you any less excited about it when you walk up to it in your garage? If so, you are in the wrong car.

Daily drive it, rub it, track it, detail it, etc. The constant moaning of ‘values’ makes us look like another set of Porsche owners who think their cars can drive on water, and not get wet.
Old 02-20-2009, 02:33 PM
Dave!
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fair post. I think the only thing that bothers me is that 6 months after I bought my car it could have been had for 6k less. But you're right, it's mine now, I love it, and what its value is doesn't really bother me outside the "If something terrible happened and I had to offload all my belongings, how much would I end up with" line of thought.
Old 02-20-2009, 02:47 PM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

EXACTLY. Always buy a car based on what you think it's worth at the time you buy it. Afterwards, it's a done deal. I mean, if people were always worried about value, they would NEVER buy a computer. It's the same thing with a house. If you didn't stretch, and it's fallen in value, but you're planning to enjoy it for years, who cares? Man, more people care about money than care about enjoying what they already have and living well. Then again, you're talking to a guy who could pick up a brand new TT tomorrow but still drive my almost 9 year old cab because it still gives me a spring in my step when I walk up to it.
Old 02-20-2009, 02:47 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Don't care here. Havn't sold a car in the past 7 years and honestly don't ever intend to sell any of them ever unless I'd be absolutely stupid not to due to a rediculous offer.

I'm trying to buy back my drag truck I built when I was in HS. I guess I just get attached to them.

Andy
Old 02-20-2009, 02:51 PM
skiracer
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 130 Posts

It only really hurts when you buy new, but then you have to expect high depreciation rates. I still think buying a high-end sports car for half price (or less) w/ 25k mi on the clock is a screaming deal.
Old 02-20-2009, 03:05 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

I love my 996, these cars are meant to be enjoyed... nothing else!
Old 02-20-2009, 03:09 PM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Anders0n||C4S
Its certainly not going to appreciate up anytime soon, so why focus on it so much? It’s not an investment, its not real estate, it’s not your 401k, it’s not your kid’s college fund.

If your 996 dropped $5k in ‘value’ tomorrow, what are you going to do? Sell it, or just make another post about it?

So some dingus gets a deal on a 996 just like yours for $10k less than what you paid. Who gives a F? Is your 996 all of a sudden worth $10k less to you? The way I see it, my property taxes are smaller, but its still worth a million to me.

Are you any less excited about it when you walk up to it in your garage? If so, you are in the wrong car.

Daily drive it, rub it, track it, detail it, etc. The constant moaning of ‘values’ makes us look like another set of Porsche owners who think their cars can drive on water, and not get wet.
+1
Old 02-20-2009, 03:15 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 315 Likes on 263 Posts

Opportunity cost is what one usually associates with value on a good or service. Since money is the medium used to make the exchanges of services and goods in our lives; it becomes the yard stick. I am glad your million dollar house is still worth a million dollars to you because it sure isn't to anyone else right now. Hopefully; it will change in the future.

For example:

I am currently thinking about buying a 964 in addition to my current car or selling the 996 and upgrading to a turbo. That is why monetary value is important. We are all happy for you that you will never sell any of your cars/houses you buy. I deal with the fact that material goods age and will need replacing. I do it in a way that is most economical and not what is most emotional fulfilling. How you measure that is your yard stick.
Old 02-20-2009, 03:36 PM
deckman
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

I care about it for a bunch of stupid reasons, and one not so stupid. Most of it is emotional. I paid a bunch for it not too long ago and now it's worth bunch less. If I'd waited I could have gotten a bigger, badder vehicle. Those who did wait and paid what I paid don't visit the 996 board, they visit the Turbo board. So that makes me jealous and feel like a dope. The subjects of "what it is worth now" and "does it get me excited to drive it" have little in common. Just telling it like it is, I'm shallow

However, if my financial picture suddenly changed tomorrow this car would be the very first thing that would go, hands down. Since that is not so far fetched these days, what the car is worth matters in real terms. There is nothing I can do about it but that doesn't mean I'm not going to think about it on occasion.
Old 02-20-2009, 03:45 PM
uberskier
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post

Watching the market at this minute just make me want to go out and drive it this minute. Unfortunately, 30 degrees here and I only have summer rubber.

At least I'm having fun in my 911. I'm not having any fun in any of my stocks/funds/bonds/etc.
Old 02-20-2009, 03:54 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 315 Likes on 263 Posts

Originally Posted by uberskier
Watching the market at this minute just make me want to go out and drive it this minute. Unfortunately, 30 degrees here and I only have summer rubber.

At least I'm having fun in my 911. I'm not having any fun in any of my stocks/funds/bonds/etc.
The major market indicies are back to around 2002 low levels. Just think how much your car would have cost in 2002 and then realize how much you just paid for it. It not all that bad!!

You should get a set of winter rubbers on your C4S. Make that AWD work. I put my winter treads on my C2 and run it when its clear out. The car feels like its got an extra 15hp because the air is denser.
Old 02-20-2009, 04:00 PM
SH || NC
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chsu74
Opportunity cost is what one usually associates with value on a good or service.].
Opportunity cost? For a 996? Its huge, no matter how you slice it; its discretionary income.

Originally Posted by deckman
I care about it for a bunch of stupid reasons, and one not so stupid. Most of it is emotional. I paid a bunch for it not too long ago and now it's worth bunch less.
I’m with you there. And the harsh reality is, it’s gone and its not coming back. There are 997s and 996 TTs within the price range of what I paid for my 996 a few months ago, but I wanted this car, with this CPO coverage, with this set of options, this close to me, so I’m happy with it.

If I'd waited I could have gotten a bigger, badder vehicle. Those who did wait and paid what I paid don't visit the 996 board, they visit the Turbo board. So that makes me jealous and feel like a dope. …
You’re always in that position though – waiting for something better or cheaper to come along. The grass isn’t always greener on the other side, the brown spots are just in different places.

However, if my financial picture suddenly changed tomorrow…
I understand, but the impression I take away from these threads, not yours specifically, is the constant hang wringing and personal detriment due to the values.

My point is, if you’re not in that dire circumstance, enjoy it!
Old 02-20-2009, 04:01 PM
uberskier
Pro

I'll certainly do winter rubber next year. Just bought the wife a MacBook, got a V1, have 2 sets of summer tires in the shed for our DD (not much extra room for another set). So I may hold off this year.
Old 02-20-2009, 04:07 PM
htny
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the only reason I even contemplate the value of my 911 is when I think about a trade, and that's only because you can buy 6 turbos and 997s so inexpensively right now (many for about what my C2 went for in 2007).

Unless you're selling/trading today, what difference does value make? You can't lever against it really, so I fail to see the logic.
Old 02-20-2009, 04:11 PM
uberskier
Pro

Sounds like my house. Value had increased incredibly since I bought it (although taxes are going up). I don't care how much I can get for it because I love it and don't want to leave it. I can make it to NYC in 1 hour, but have the benefit of living in the country. If I sold it and got close to what it's worth, I probably couldn't afford anything in the area.

All I know is bottom line "I have a Speed Yellow 911 Carrera 4S and I love it!!"

Quick Reply: Why Do You Care So Much About Your Car’s ‘Value’?