Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Why Do You Care So Much About Your Car’s ‘Value’?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 04:21 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by deckman
I care about it for a bunch of stupid reasons, and one not so stupid. Most of it is emotional. I paid a bunch for it not too long ago and now it's worth bunch less. If I'd waited I could have gotten a bigger, badder vehicle. Those who did wait and paid what I paid don't visit the 996 board, they visit the Turbo board. So that makes me jealous and feel like a dope. The subjects of "what it is worth now" and "does it get me excited to drive it" have little in common. Just telling it like it is, I'm shallow

However, if my financial picture suddenly changed tomorrow this car would be the very first thing that would go, hands down. Since that is not so far fetched these days, what the car is worth matters in real terms. There is nothing I can do about it but that doesn't mean I'm not going to think about it on occasion.
It's really too bad that you have this attitude. These cars are meant to be driven and enjoyed for what they are now. Don't equate "turbo" with more expensive or more desirous,--you have been brain washed by Zuffenhausen.

Be happy with what you have. Most people will never ever own a Porsche in their lifetime.
Old 02-20-2009, 05:56 PM
Jon996
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting thread. . . I have had some of the thoughts expressed, but most go away with a drive. Purchased a 2003 back in 2007 for a little less than half the price the original owner paid. Today it is down further, but hey it is a car. Like I said, nothing takes care of these feelings faster than a drive.

My friends would think we are all crazy to complain--a Porsche is it!

Regarding a turbo, GT3, etc. Sure it would be nice, but unless you have unlimited funds there is always something faster. As with many others, I bought the best I could at the time, and still really like it.

Actually, if I had my wish, I would come into some money at the same time Dan(Edgy01) wanted to sell his cab. Alas. . .
Old 02-20-2009, 06:04 PM
ryangambrill
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
It's really too bad that you have this attitude. These cars are meant to be driven and enjoyed for what they are now. Don't equate "turbo" with more expensive or more desirous,--you have been brain washed by Zuffenhausen.

Be happy with what you have. Most people will never ever own a Porsche in their lifetime.
WOW!!!!

+100
Old 02-20-2009, 06:06 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If, I still had my 996.......I would say "because I a'int rich", that's why....
Old 02-20-2009, 06:11 PM
uberskier
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Edgy01
+1

I Love Mine
Old 02-20-2009, 06:11 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

To the OP...I agree. I never cared what the street value of my car is....it's like those commercials. Paid this and that blah, blah, blah....owning your dream car, priceless. That is my car!
Old 02-20-2009, 06:14 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree that if you can't enjoy the car for what it is, regardless of current value, you are missing out! I also agree with Deckman's point - the odds of being out of work for an extended period of time have risen daily since last October. If I lose my job, the 996 will be my emergency money. The fact that it is losing value daily doesn't help.

I guess if I lost my job, and the car become worthless, I wouldn't have to sell it - until that first repair!
Old 02-20-2009, 06:49 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by uberskier
Watching the market at this minute just make me want to go out and drive it this minute. Unfortunately, 30 degrees here and I only have summer rubber.

At least I'm having fun in my 911. I'm not having any fun in any of my stocks/funds/bonds/etc.
Me, too. Drive it over an f-ing cliff.
Old 02-20-2009, 06:57 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 315 Likes on 263 Posts

Originally Posted by Anders0n||C4S
Opportunity cost? For a 996? Its huge, no matter how you slice it; its discretionary income.
I am sure some of us, myself included, have pissed away 10Gs on something like a week in Vegas and not have enjoyed it as much.
Old 02-20-2009, 07:27 PM
pszikla
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I never tell what I paid when I bought it and to say it again, most people don't know how low the price has gotten.
They won't look either because the perception of luxury/cost is always there regardless.

The fact that I could buy one now for a lot less than I did a few years ago.......big deal!!
I still get all "giggly" when I walk past it in my garage cause I know it is MINE!!
Pete
Old 02-20-2009, 07:47 PM
deckman
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pszikla
I still get all "giggly" when I walk past it in my garage cause I know it is MINE!!
Pete
Truth be told, so do I
Old 02-20-2009, 08:17 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by uberskier
+1

I Love Mine
+++

I did NOT buy the car to worry about what it's not worth!
Old 02-20-2009, 08:29 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by pszikla
So true!!!!!!!!!!!!
99% of people have no clue what a Porsche costs, they just believe that they are really really expensive and the envy when they are talking to you about the car is palpable.

I never tell what I paid when I bought it and to say it again, most people don't know how low the price has gotten.
I find myself constantly apologizing and explaining that it's really not as expensive as people think, and I didn't blow the kids' college funds on a car, really!
Old 02-20-2009, 08:49 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

As far as I am concerned, my P-cars have all held their value (and actually appreciated) every time I get in and drive. The ROI in these cars is one I look forward to every time I drive especially meeting up with my good friends of the region at our coffee and drive every Saturday!
Old 02-20-2009, 09:00 PM
zroadhouse
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1

I'm living the dream. I look at the auction prices now and know that I could have spent a few thousand less dollars on a car. However, I love the one I have!

Quick Reply: Why Do You Care So Much About Your Car’s ‘Value’?