Go Back  Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums > Water Cooled Technical Discussion Areas > 996 Forum
Reload this Page >

Time for and updated baby seat model thread? Past threads have outdated names, etc.

Notices
996 Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: LN Engineering

Time for and updated baby seat model thread? Past threads have outdated names, etc.

Old 05-28-2019, 12:11 PM
mbgt72
User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, here's an old thread bump, but it seems like the best place to continue the conversation.

Looking into options for a 996 and a kid in the 2.5yr old & 35+lb range with room to grow.

My main question is, it seems that most are going with a back seat option and not using the Porsche seatbelt deactivation bar. I was just curious as to why so few were using the factory option and if the factory option was still feasible. It seems the bar can be found on eBay for $100, and then I know it has to be programmed by a dealer (which they may or may not do). But if that option works, that route would be my preference vs the back seat route.

Either way, it seems like the car seat manufactures keep rebranding and changing their names so some of the great options earlier in this thread are no longer available. Trying to figure out which seat will work best in either the front or rear of the 996.

Secondary question, my mother has a 2009 Cayman, is it possible to find a seat that would work in both my 996 as well as her Cayman?

Thanks for the help!
Old 05-28-2019, 03:19 PM
professorman
User

Originally Posted by mbgt72 View Post
So, here's an old thread bump, but it seems like the best place to continue the conversation.

Looking into options for a 996 and a kid in the 2.5yr old & 35+lb range with room to grow.

My main question is, it seems that most are going with a back seat option and not using the Porsche seatbelt deactivation bar. I was just curious as to why so few were using the factory option and if the factory option was still feasible. It seems the bar can be found on eBay for $100, and then I know it has to be programmed by a dealer (which they may or may not do). But if that option works, that route would be my preference vs the back seat route.

Either way, it seems like the car seat manufactures keep rebranding and changing their names so some of the great options earlier in this thread are no longer available. Trying to figure out which seat will work best in either the front or rear of the 996.

Secondary question, my mother has a 2009 Cayman, is it possible to find a seat that would work in both my 996 as well as her Cayman?

Thanks for the help!
Although the front seat is ‘okay’ the back is still safer. I bought the airbag deactivator, but my wife would not allow me to use it in my Boxster. I drive my 911 about 3-5 days per week with my son in the backseat. He is almost 4, and about 40 lbs. it fits perfectly. He stays back there, so if I am taking out my family, I don’t have to move his seat. This seat stays in the 911. I modded it, so it won’t fit other cars now. I don’t see him having a problem with this seat until he grows to a booster seat, and then that will be an easier fit.
Old 07-06-2019, 03:54 PM
tniyh98
New User

My $0.02.

Pulled the trigger on a 2003 C2 - and needed to get the kids into it.

Have a large 4 year old and a large 2 year old. Both could, technically, go into high backed boosters - but there's no way my wife would allow that.

Settled on Cosco Finale DX for both of them. Have it in with both the seat belt and the latch system.

Used the seat bottoms as a template to cut some foam flooring to use as pads underneath the child seat so as not to damage the actual leather seat.

Tried with both the seat back/bottom in and out.
  • Out gave me more room (I'm 6'3), but had an unacceptable amount of movement
  • In was the opposite. However, I can live with a little less legroom for the 15 mins or so I have them in the car. I've just used the two seat settings - 1 is with kids, 2 is solo.

TLDR - Cosco Finale DX works great!
Old 07-06-2019, 04:06 PM
Gingerman
User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Nice to see this updated. I have a 2.75 year old and another due in November.

Originally Posted by tniyh98 View Post
My $0.02.

Pulled the trigger on a 2003 C2 - and needed to get the kids into it.

Have a large 4 year old and a large 2 year old. Both could, technically, go into high backed boosters - but there's no way my wife would allow that.

Settled on Cosco Finale DX for both of them. Have it in with both the seat belt and the latch system.

Used the seat bottoms as a template to cut some foam flooring to use as pads underneath the child seat so as not to damage the actual leather seat.

Tried with both the seat back/bottom in and out.
  • Out gave me more room (I'm 6'3), but had an unacceptable amount of movement
  • In was the opposite. However, I can live with a little less legroom for the 15 mins or so I have them in the car. I've just used the two seat settings - 1 is with kids, 2 is solo.

TLDR - Cosco Finale DX works great!
i am mostly curious how people have managed the rear facing seat. Can a front passenger sit comfortably with a rear facing car seat behind her?
Old 07-06-2019, 04:09 PM
tniyh98
New User

Not sure - I'd imagine it's possible, but you're going to have seriously reduced room in the front pax side.

My wife is 5'2, and with our 4 yr old behind her, it's already pretty cramped.
Old 07-06-2019, 04:51 PM
Gingerman
User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tniyh98 View Post
Not sure - I'd imagine it's possible, but you're going to have seriously reduced room in the front pax side.

My wife is 5'2, and with our 4 yr old behind her, it's already pretty cramped.
Thanks. It won’t be necessary but one of those things that I would love to figure out. One thing I have seen in these threats is removing the rear seat back. I removed the bottom for my front facing seat but removing the back seems to buy an inch or so as well.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Time for and updated baby seat model thread? Past threads have outdated names, etc.

Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: