Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Time for and updated baby seat model thread? Past threads have outdated names, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 10:45 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,580 Likes on 987 Posts

I snagged the '16 Diono car seat from my wife's '14 Audi Q5, and while it does fit in the back of my '99 996 Cab, it's not a perfect fit. It does work though, and this Diono is one of the safer, slimmer seats that claims to allow up to 3 installed side by side in our Q5 (which is not a large SUV - similar to a BMW X3).

However, I'm considering an IMMI GO instead. Has anyone tried this in a 911 Cab? Looks like it's even smaller and meant for short trips, because it's not all that comfortable.

https://www.immigoseat.com/product/immi-go/
Old 01-22-2017, 05:21 AM
Zmonsta
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My kid just turned 3 years old @ 38" & 31 lbs

For 2+ year, he sat in a Combi Coccoro (first rear facing behind passenger seat, then forward facing behind me) in my 99' 996 without any problems.
But his height has outgrown the Coccoro, shoulders above the highest harness hole.

Today, just picked up a Evenflo Stratos (from Toys R Us for $129 MSRP, side tip - they just started a promo to trade your old infant toddler car seat and beds for 25% off car seats and furniture). The base is exceptionally narrow on this seat, so no problem using it on top of the seat cushion. I had a difficult time getting it to tighten down on the seat using the forward-facing seat belt holes. But read a tip to use the rear-facing seat belt looping holes instead, and the whole thing tighten down absolutely perfect. FYI, I also use the top tether. Can't wait to put the kid in it tomorrow. Hope this helps others.

Last edited by Zmonsta; 01-27-2017 at 02:54 AM.
Old 02-10-2017, 01:16 AM
MiataR
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 10 Posts

Installed a Cosco High Back booster car seat last weekend (I had previously used this in the 993). No issues with fitment in the 996, though removing the bottom seat cushion gave my 6 year old daughter additional headroom.

I used the rear latch under the carpet to secure the seat.

I also tried removing the fold down seat back, but was not comfortable with the fact that this allowed the booster seat to lean back quite a lot. IMO, the seat back provided some additional much needed support.
Old 03-13-2017, 02:55 PM
high rider
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How is the clicks install on the other side?
Old 03-13-2017, 02:57 PM
high rider
Intermediate

Originally Posted by silvergray951
Thanks - great advice and comments. I had experimented with rotating the seat belt latch aft of its normal position with some success, but the seat still moves too much. But it made me think that I could potentially achieve better results using an old fashioned lap belt on the factory mounting points - like this (I noticed someone else mentioned that in an old Rennlist post):

I think the advantage of this is that I will be able to cinch the belt tighter given that the mount points will be well beneath the seat on both the left and right sides. For the record I ordered it here:
http://www.retrobeltusa.com/product-p/2p-xxx-eu60.htm

I'll also try the high density foam for positioning.
I'll update this thread with results.

Regards,
Michael
2004 911 4S

PS - can someone confirm the Brey Krause part number BK-9003? I'd like to hedge my bet on the lap belt by also preparing to use the latch mount system like this chap did:

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...hild-seat.html
Anybody has this set-Up ?

Can you fix those attach on both side of the seat?
Thanks
Old 03-13-2017, 04:18 PM
mrjonger
Pro

Originally Posted by MiataR
Installed a Cosco High Back booster car seat last weekend (I had previously used this in the 993). No issues with fitment in the 996, though removing the bottom seat cushion gave my 6 year old daughter additional headroom.

I used the rear latch under the carpet to secure the seat.

I also tried removing the fold down seat back, but was not comfortable with the fact that this allowed the booster seat to lean back quite a lot. IMO, the seat back provided some additional much needed support.
I purchased a cab thinking it would be fun for my toddler daughter. The irony is that it is the worst variant of the 996 you could get for a car seat. No rear latch and you lose a couple of inches to the pop-up bar housing. Having an adult in the front seat is not advised if you've got cab and a normal length toddler. Oh, and the kid gets tired of the wind blowing in her face fairly quickly.

I've just gotta make it to the booster seat phase...hopefully better then.
Old 03-13-2017, 05:06 PM
DrBrain
Instructor

Exactly. My 5 year old hates driving with the top open. The blowing wind is very loud for them and the backseat gets significant turbulence.

Originally Posted by mrjonger
I purchased a cab thinking it would be fun for my toddler daughter. The irony is that it is the worst variant of the 996 you could get for a car seat. No rear latch and you lose a couple of inches to the pop-up bar housing. Having an adult in the front seat is not advised if you've got cab and a normal length toddler. Oh, and the kid gets tired of the wind blowing in her face fairly quickly.

I've just gotta make it to the booster seat phase...hopefully better then.
I have the Maxi Cosi Rodi, it has a narrow base and fits in the rear with the seat and back cushion removed.
Old 03-14-2017, 12:36 PM
Vdubjetta02
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting thread... My kid is due next weekend!

I am probably going to wait a while before putting her in the porsche due to my loud *** exhaust system
Old 03-14-2017, 12:39 PM
Road King
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Vdubjetta02
Interesting thread... My kid is due next weekend!

I am probably going to wait a while before putting her in the porsche due to my loud *** exhaust system
Unless you can fit a rear facing seat in your car it's gonna be awhile, I didn't take either of my little ones for a ride until they were about 18months old. I have a full size fwd facing Maxi Cosi Rubi seat.
Old 05-20-2017, 07:48 PM
DASC4S
Intermediate

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978
I snagged the '16 Diono car seat from my wife's '14 Audi Q5, and while it does fit in the back of my '99 996 Cab, it's not a perfect fit. It does work though, and this Diono is one of the safer, slimmer seats that claims to allow up to 3 installed side by side in our Q5 (which is not a large SUV - similar to a BMW X3).

However, I'm considering an IMMI GO instead. Has anyone tried this in a 911 Cab? Looks like it's even smaller and meant for short trips, because it's not all that comfortable.

https://www.immigoseat.com/product/immi-go/
Murphyslaw1978 - Did you stick with the diono, try the IMMI GO, or find something better? thanks
Old 05-20-2017, 07:52 PM
DASC4S
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Zmonsta
My kid just turned 3 years old @ 38" & 31 lbs

For 2+ year, he sat in a Combi Coccoro (first rear facing behind passenger seat, then forward facing behind me) in my 99' 996 without any problems.
But his height has outgrown the Coccoro, shoulders above the highest harness hole.

Today, just picked up a Evenflo Stratos (from Toys R Us for $129 MSRP, side tip - they just started a promo to trade your old infant toddler car seat and beds for 25% off car seats and furniture). The base is exceptionally narrow on this seat, so no problem using it on top of the seat cushion. I had a difficult time getting it to tighten down on the seat using the forward-facing seat belt holes. But read a tip to use the rear-facing seat belt looping holes instead, and the whole thing tighten down absolutely perfect. FYI, I also use the top tether. Can't wait to put the kid in it tomorrow. Hope this helps others.
zmonsta - how has the Evenflo Stratos worked out? I'm looking for both a convertible and booster for my 2 and 5 year olds. I swore to my wife my 2002 C4S could do the family duty, and of course none of our current car seats/boosters fit. Thanks
Old 05-20-2017, 08:15 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DASC4S
Murphyslaw1978 - Did you stick with the diono, try the IMMI GO, or find something better? thanks
The Diono is pretty much it for Cabs without the top tethers. For my 5-yr-old, we're using the BubbleBum Travel Car Booster, since she's quite a tall girl. I've considered RideSafer but I cannot find many independent reviews on it, so I'm not sure I want to do it.
Old 05-20-2017, 10:07 PM
DASC4S
Intermediate

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978
The Diono is pretty much it for Cabs without the top tethers. For my 5-yr-old, we're using the BubbleBum Travel Car Booster, since she's quite a tall girl. I've considered RideSafer but I cannot find many independent reviews on it, so I'm not sure I want to do it.
yeah, I looked at the RideSafer too. Like you said, there aren't independent reviews. Looks good but tough to say its as good as an actual rigid frame seat. Given how small the backseat area is in the coupe - not sure which is better.
Old 05-20-2017, 10:25 PM
pat911ph
1st Gear

Default Safe traffic

I use Safe traffic ride safer travel vest in conjunction with a Costco booster or a bumblebum inflatable booster.

the vest almost acts as a 5 point harness while using the seat belt.
Old 05-21-2017, 01:35 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pat911ph
I use Safe traffic ride safer travel vest in conjunction with a Costco booster or a bumblebum inflatable booster.

the vest almost acts as a 5 point harness while using the seat belt.
Something appears to have changed with the RideSafer product. My guess is that it didn't take off or do well, and Joe the newer products aren't as good (based on some reviews).

I think the product is a great idea, especially compared to a regular seatbelt, but compared to a child safety seat, it doesn't seem to pass muster.

Quick Reply: Time for and updated baby seat model thread? Past threads have outdated names, etc.