Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Time for and updated baby seat model thread? Past threads have outdated names, etc.

Old 04-19-2015, 10:54 PM
mjdavis
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

shearlayer is right on the money. The Maxi Cosi Rubi is both a pain in the rear to source (mine took about 6 weeks - from Switzerland I think) and a great seat for the 996. It makes me wonder why all seats aren't designed the same way. I recommend it just as highly as the Dunlop Direzza ZIIs.
Old 04-20-2015, 04:21 AM
SpawnyWhippet
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by shearlayer
I an in Menlo Park and can help you get it in the back of your car.
$200 obo. It cost me over $400 to get this thing from Germany.
Hi, I am in Atherton, so pretty close, but I can buy
a brand new 2015 model in the UK a brand new 2015 model in the UK
for $200 when I go over next month and carry it back on the plane. I could be a buyer at $150ish if that does anything for you?

At present, I am using a Britax Marathon in my 996 cabrio, but I'd prefer something that fit better, and I need to get something that can be firmly attached into my 1972 911
Old 04-21-2015, 07:28 PM
rs10
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by SpawnyWhippet
I was thinking to do this in my 911. I was going to buy 2 of the door latch 'D' loops from the door jambs of a wrecked Cayenne or similar, then bolt and weld them to the rear seat bucket to act as ISOFIX loops. However, even though I contacted about a dozen wreckers yards, none could be bothered to sell me a pair.
Assuming one could get ISOFIX loops from a wrecked car, I wonder if it would be too hard to securely attach them. Alternately, I believe that it is (or at least was) possible to buy ISOFIX connectors for certain cars for which they were optional ...
Old 04-22-2015, 01:00 PM
SpawnyWhippet
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rs10
Assuming one could get ISOFIX loops from a wrecked car, I wonder if it would be too hard to securely attach them. Alternately, I believe that it is (or at least was) possible to buy ISOFIX connectors for certain cars for which they were optional ...
2 of the cars I have were never built with ISOFIX, so it was not an option for me. I was going to mount the loops with bolts through the seat bucket and a thick backing plate, then run a seam weld around the base of the ISOFIX loop. If only I could find anywhere to sell them to me...
Old 04-26-2015, 01:14 PM
Road King
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by shearlayer
I an in Menlo Park and can help you get it in the back of your car.

It is in perfect shape and I even attached some felt to the seat so it does not damage the leather headliner. My son has outgrown it and we have no more little ones on the way.

$200 obo. It cost me over $400 to get this thing from Germany.
assuming it will fit in the TT, I'm local and I'm interested...shoot me a PM.
Old 05-03-2015, 01:17 AM
shearlayer
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sold to SeanL. Happy Motoring Sean!
Old 06-20-2015, 04:30 PM
mjdavis
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

One infant (Cybex Aton), one toddler (Maxi Cosi Rubi) and two adults. It was a tight fit, but sure beats driving a minivan.

Old 08-24-2015, 03:23 PM
Ben McCallister
AutoX

Sorry for the bump on the slightly older thread, but I figure its got 30 pages, its a good start.

Im about to buy a 13 991. I have a choice between a base and an S Vert.

Is there any difference in the rear seat room between the base and the S Vert?

I am looking to get a Cybex Aton2 and I know it'll fit in the back seat, and my wife (5'4, thin) should be able to fit up there without too much hassle. Is the S any worse?

Thanks!
Old 08-25-2015, 12:00 AM
Petersa9
Rennlist Member

Dude, you're asking 996 owners....
Old 01-17-2016, 12:48 PM
ALEV8
Three Wheelin'

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

About to add a 996 cpe myself and will be needing a seat for my 3 yr old, forward facing. I'm surprised nobody likes the recaro.
Old 01-17-2016, 02:43 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ALEV8
About to add a 996 cpe myself and will be needing a seat for my 3 yr old, forward facing. I'm surprised nobody likes the recaro.
Our son has been riding in the 996 since shortly after we turned him forward (1ish?). We put the airbag disable bar on the front seat and ordered a dummy insert for its buckle from a company in the UK. The choice of seat is much less of an issue then and he loves being able to ride up front.

Of course that means another adult can't join you comfortably and you have to deal with the occasional busybody that thinks it is illegal
Old 04-21-2016, 01:32 AM
Rustler
Instructor

Received 138 Likes on 55 Posts

This thread (and pictures of kids in 996s) may have just paved the way for me to 996 ownership. Just showed a bunch of pics to my wife who had been very skeptical, Thanks!
Old 06-13-2016, 10:16 PM
doodledad
Track Day

Just wanted to update this as I finally found the solution to my problem and wanted to pass this info along to other parents in search of a convertible car seat for their little one.

I bought a MKII cab with the goal of having (1) a beautiful car that I could enjoy and satisfy a lifelong dream, and (2) a car to take my wife, dog, and 2.5 year old out for trips around town with the top down. Goal 1 was accomplished immediately. Goal 2 proved more challenging. I went through 2 different car seats before finding the 3rd one that fit well. Goal was safety without modifying the car seat, with priority being a rear facing seat for my daughter. I read many, many threads and did a lot of runs to Babies 'r us to try putting them in the car without success. Here's what I found:

1) Combi Cocorro, rear facing- fit in the car well, easy to install, seemed very secure, especially with the rear facing tether. However, it is a really small seat and my daughter just seemed uncomfortable! We returned it.

2) Cosco Scenera next, rear or forward facing- Rear facing was just too big front to back. Front facing would work, but given that it was a cab and didn't have a rear tether anchor built in, I figured I would keep looking for rear facing.

The winner: 3) Britax Roundabout G4.1, rear facing- I am blessed with a short wife (5 feet even), making my job easier. The base on this seat is narrow and shallow, so it fits on the seat cushion. I took out the seat backs to give my daughter a bit more leg room. With the built in seat belt lock offs, it installed snugly. Until 2015, Britax sold these with a rear-facing tether to attach under the front seat (Swedish style tether). This makes it really secure. If you read the safety bulletins, the reason they discontinued the tether was not due to new data about the safety, but rather because newer cars had more impact sensing technology and there were concerns that the tether would interfere with this technology. Therefore, I ordered a tether extension. This thing is well secured in there, my daughter is comfy, and most importantly, I think it is a very safe seat! We've had several great Sunday afternoon cruises in this and my daughter, wife, and dog are all very pleased!

Hope this helps another Porsche loving parent!
Old 07-25-2016, 03:14 PM
mrjonger
Pro

My owners manual for a 2002 cab indicates there is child seat anchor behind the flip down seat, but I don't see anything there. I tried to feel under the carpet to see if there was anything underneath but couldn't tell. Anyone else have better luck?

Also, has anyone purchased a cosi maxi rubi stateside? Looking to get something sooner rather than later. Porsche junior seat might be available quicker, but it's a lot more expensive.
Old 07-26-2016, 09:12 AM
dgi 07
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mrjonger
My owners manual for a 2002 cab indicates there is child seat anchor behind the flip down seat, but I don't see anything there. I tried to feel under the carpet to see if there was anything underneath but couldn't tell. Anyone else have better luck?.
There is one back there, right where the seam is, you should be able to pop up a small section of carpet, a hidden door if you want to call it that. Underneath it is a loop anchor for the top strap of a car seat.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Time for and updated baby seat model thread? Past threads have outdated names, etc.