Sponsored by:

LWFW Clutch Advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 04:06 AM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts
Default LWFW Clutch Advice

I'm leaning toward the SACHS Sport clutch (spring style) and presssure plate to go with my Aasco flywheel. Does anybody know where I can get it for a reasonable price? Pelican wants about $1,300....ouch!
Old 01-14-2009, 11:05 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Mark,

I saw this on ebay. They may not have exactly what you are looking for but may be worth a try. PartsGeek.com At the bottom of the page they have GT2 & GT3 clutch kits for $590 off retail. Maybe they carry or can get the Sport clutch. No affiliation.... yada, yada, yada!
Old 01-14-2009, 01:23 PM
racing97
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I called Aasco in relation to the Sachs sport pressure plate not to long ago, apparantly they are working on a cost effective solution but have no parts to sell as of two weeks ago. They have indicated some cutomers with turbos and superchargers have had issues with the sport Sachs unit not holding up, here is what they found out. Sachs sport and street pressure plates have the same clamping pressure 1650 lbs although the sport unit has thicker material on the straps for the pressure ring and the pressure ring is Ferro-Nitrided what ever that means, probably to work with the cermetalic linings racers use. They said in order to really improve the situation a new pressure ring will need to be casted so the fulcrum point leverage can be altered. So right now it looks like the money spent on a Sport plate probably would not be warranted but they said the sprung hub disc cuts down on the noise significantly.
regards
Old 01-14-2009, 05:06 PM
flyingpenguin
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 2 cents.

Back in May my clutch went and after a standard clutch job (new Sachs clutch disc + pressure plate + throw out bearing) it turned out that the flywheel resurfacing was not done right; above 3,000 rpm the whole car would start shaking like a pig.

I installed the AASCO LWFW, but did not change the pressure plate and disc, ie. unsprung disc + single mass flywheel equals the sound of marbles in your tranny at any rpm's below 3000.

I did not feel like taking the tranny out again, so changed out the tranny oil, using Redline Shockproof, which significantly reduced the grinding at high torque low rpm.

Not feeling comfortable with the strain on the tranny I decided to drop the engine last week and change out the clutch disc and pressure plate. Spec clutches has a good solution for the 996. You can choose from different levels (Stage 1 thru 3 or 4).

LMPerformance.com has been very helpful, price for the stage 2 set is around 600 bucks, but make sure you specify that you need a sprung clutch disc. Otherwise they will assume you have a normal flywheel and need an unsprung one.

Initial verdict is a heavier pedal, but still easy to modulate, and slightly less tranny grinding on acceleration / deceleration.

I still want take a look at the Redline shockproof stuff that comes out after 10k miles (+10 trackdays) and see how that has held up.

Be aware that a LWFW will always leave you with a noisy tranny when idling, which does not bother me personally.

Joost
Old 01-14-2009, 07:52 PM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Tim, thanks for the link. I appreciate it

Racing97, thanks for the information on the Sachs sport clutch. I had a similar conversation with Randy. It sounds like you understood more of what he was saying. Thanks for the translation. He discussed the clamping load with me also. I did not realize the Sachs Sport clutch had the same clamping load as the standard clutch.

Joost, I really appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with me. I had looked at the SPEC clutches initially. I thought they were a step down in quality from the Sachs sport clutch. They are way more affordable. I will reconsider. I am definately going to go with a sprung clutch disc.

Any advice on whether to go with the stage 2 or 2+ (I may supercharge down the road)? Also, I could not decide on whether to get the steel or aluminum pressure plate. Does anybody have experience with either, combined with the LWFW?
Old 01-14-2009, 08:56 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mfletch
Tim, thanks for the link. I appreciate it

Racing97, thanks for the information on the Sachs sport clutch. I had a similar conversation with Randy. It sounds like you understood more of what he was saying. Thanks for the translation. He discussed the clamping load with me also. I did not realize the Sachs Sport clutch had the same clamping load as the standard clutch.

Joost, I really appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with me. I had looked at the SPEC clutches initially. I thought they were a step down in quality from the Sachs sport clutch. They are way more affordable. I will reconsider. I am definately going to go with a sprung clutch disc.

Any advice on whether to go with the stage 2 or 2+ (I may supercharge down the road)? Also, I could not decide on whether to get the steel or aluminum pressure plate. Does anybody have experience with either, combined with the LWFW?
Sachs Stage 2 is more than enough for a supercharged Porsche.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:11 PM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

1999porsche911, thanks for the input on the clutch. I appreciate learning from your experience. Any thoughts on the aluminum (lightweight) versus the steel pressure plate?
Old 01-14-2009, 09:32 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mfletch
1999porsche911, thanks for the input on the clutch. I appreciate learning from your experience. Any thoughts on the aluminum (lightweight) versus the steel pressure plate?

I don't like the noise of a LWFW on a street car so I have no experience with them on the Porsche. I also know the effects of changing the balance of the crank and the potential granading effects from vibration. You'll find that an SC on your car will make it rev fast enough even with a dual mass flywheel. If you go with a single mass, make sure you have a sprung disc and expect to wear your crank bearing prematurely.

Last edited by 1999Porsche911; 01-22-2009 at 09:53 AM.

Quick Reply: LWFW Clutch Advice