Sponsored by:

watch dilemna

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 12:35 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 372 Posts
Default watch dilemna

I saw another watch thread on here and thought I would share my situation.
just was shopping for a watch for my wife yesterday. I have wanted to get her a nice watch for a while. I got her a Raymond Weil when we got married, now time to add another. She liked the Ebel Tarawa steel with diamonds quartz (and it is 70% off), then I took her to see the Cartiers and she loves the steel tank (automatic and no diamonds), it is double the price with 25% off. I think quartz would be better for her, less maintenance, more accurate and she won't have to set it when she doesn't wear it.
she likes a square face. I think she is stuck on the Cartier and will probably get it but want her to take some time and really want it (a few weeks). please share opinions.
BTW I have a roadster model.
her birthday is in 2 weeks and she is 6 months pregnant, so I need two gifts and not 2 watches. probably earings and watch.
does the tank come in quartz and if so would you buy it for your wife?
Old 01-11-2009, 12:51 AM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go with what she likes the look of - the 'manly' ideas of what's 'best/easiest/accurate' just don't count here...

So Cartier steel Tank it is

And yes, they are available in Quartz:

http://www.bernardwatch.com/Cartier/...ancaise/CAR241

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FLV8H8/...8&linkCode=asn

And instead of earrings, suggest that you pamper her while she can still appreciate it - give her a day at a spa

My SWMBO is also watch crazy - always a guaranteed smile on Christmas or Birthday
Old 01-11-2009, 01:22 AM
Couper
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tell her to shut up and look at her damn cell phone if she wants to know the time.
JK
Get her what ever she likes best.

I'm still looking for a fake replica of the orginal pulsar led watch.
Old 01-11-2009, 02:11 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 372 Posts

Yeah I'll probably go for the tank. question is quartz or automatic if it is available. For some reason I cant't access the tank secton on the cartier site. I thinik I can convince her to go for the quartz.
Not a bad suggestion for the spa, that has always worked well in the past.
thanx for the help guys.

Last edited by Turbodan; 01-11-2009 at 02:12 AM. Reason: additiion
Old 01-11-2009, 02:39 AM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Not in to Cartier...however I would always go with an automatic over quartz.
Old 01-11-2009, 02:46 AM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

Im waiting for the "whats on your wrist today" thread... just a matter of "time".
Old 01-11-2009, 04:43 PM
ryangambrill
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got my wife the Cartier Tank Francaise 18k (White Gold) with diamonds a couple years ago. Great watch. Classic look.
Old 01-12-2009, 03:10 PM
UCrazyKid
Pro

I would go Cartier if you have the cheese to spend on it. In my experience most women will prefer the quartz solely for the sake that the watch will be thinner in size and not have much appreciation for the "mechanicals" of an automatic (unless your wife is an engineer, YMMV.) This of course goes against my personal feeling that for this kind of money, I don't want a plastic battery operated movement. My wife just had a baby after a nightmare pregnancy and I got her a Longines(MOP, diamonds). It's quartz, paper thin and she loves how delicate/elegant it looks, I don't think you can lose there.

For the second gift, definitely diamond studs if she doesn't already have some.

Congrats!
Old 01-12-2009, 03:24 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

I tried to get my wife to appreciate my watch habit by getting her a couple of nice automatic models, educating her on the movements, etc.

All she does is bitch that she's got to set the time/date every time she doesn't wear them for a couple of days

She totally doesn't understand why my Panerai is hand wind.

Andy
Old 01-12-2009, 09:03 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 194 Posts

Get har a Pasha quartz,cheaper and more accurate(I know,fire away but its for his wife !)
For the baby gift work in the bithstone(hope it is not May $$)
Congradulations
Old 01-12-2009, 09:35 PM
Jon996
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Another watch fanatic here. I admit, it is not logical.
I would stick with automatic. I have had more quartz watches leak after battery replacement (by jewelers, no less). While I know the guidelines on service for my automatics, I go a lot of years without service.

PS: Really like the Cartier Tank. I have the Roadster Chrono to fill my chronograph niche.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:27 AM
Gary
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jon996
Another watch fanatic here. I admit, it is not logical.
I would stick with automatic. I have had more quartz watches leak after battery replacement (by jewelers, no less). While I know the guidelines on service for my automatics, I go a lot of years without service.

PS: Really like the Cartier Tank. I have the Roadster Chrono to fill my chronograph niche.
Bought my wife an Ebel for her birthday recently (which is square like Cartier). Don't know how they compare price wise to be honest. Can't remember the exact model name but very elegant, not too big but not one of those "squint to read the time" watches either; I chose the version with the 10 diamonds on the face. Quartz, not automatic (I'm an automatic fan myself).

Best,

Gary.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:51 AM
wpriller
Burning Brakes

Go with the Cartier, and get a watch winder. Go to www.watchwinderstore.com to look at winders.
Old 01-16-2009, 01:01 AM
joes c4 cab
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiOn19s

She totally doesn't understand why my Panerai is hand wind.

Andy
That is funny, because my wife did not understand why I wanted the Panerai 111 - manual wind, open back. Looks great though.

To the OP - my mom got a Cartier tank last year for her birthday. She is 63. It does not seem like a younger woman's watch to me.

I bought my wife a beautiful women's Rolex 10 years ago, and a beautiful Baume & Mercier a few years back and they just sit in the safe. She now wears my GMT. 40mm for women is the way to go.

Just my 2 cents.

Congtats on the pregnancy!
Old 01-16-2009, 01:08 AM
IamSMC
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by redridge
Im waiting for the "whats on your wrist today" thread... just a matter of "time".
OK
https://rennlist.com/forums/watches/...re-thread.html

Quick Reply: watch dilemna