Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Baby seats in a coupe...?? anyone have pics???

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 02:49 PM
discoganya
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by b-man
Am I correct in thinking that a Britax Roundabout will fit, but the base cannot be used?
Yes.

If that's true, is it quick/easy and safe to mount without the base?
Yes it is quick and easy to mount. Just keep the seat in place, pass the seat belt through the loop and fasten it. Extend the seat belt all the way out till it clicks and then retract it to hold the car seat firmly. The seat is then locked in position. Takes about 20 seconds.

Are there any options that are better (like a seat with a base)? Graco has been mentioned a few times, but what model(s)?
I don't think any base will fit. Graco seats fit without the base. Graco seats come in two basic types: SnugRide and SafeSeat. SnugRide fits perfectly. SafeSeat is the newer Graco seat (mainly a marketing thing) and does not fit in nicely. So if you go with Graco, just buy a SafeSeat. They come in tons of colors/options/padding, etc but the seat dimensions are the same, and fit well in the back of a 996 Coupe.
Old 02-09-2009, 11:07 PM
nowata
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 46 Posts

this has probably been threaded to death, but i can't find it. is there a way to deactivate the front air bags for a front/fwd facing child seat?
Old 02-09-2009, 11:16 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by waydeki
this has probably been threaded to death, but i can't find it. is there a way to deactivate the front air bags for a front/fwd facing child seat?
There is an OEM airbag deactivation kit that can be installed by your dealer.
Old 02-10-2009, 06:38 AM
steepsnow
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use a Britax Companion, rear-facing in the rear seat of my C4. The rear seatbelts have the child-seat locking ratchet feature, which was the final deciding factor for me between a 993 and 996. (993 seatbelts do not ratchet). My wife is 5'4" and she can fit in the fron seat with the baby seat in the rear, passenger side, just barely. She is fine for short trips, but it is not ideal for a road trip.

You can test all of the baby seats on display at Babies-R-Us - just ask and give them your driver's license for a few minutes. I tried every infant carrrier on the shelf at B-R-U. I already had the Britax Companion (B-R-U does not sell that model). The Companion and Graco Snugride were almost identical in terms of functionality and front seat position after install. They were the two that allowed the most front-seat room.

Also, most "Boutique" baby stores will let you try all of their seats as well.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:40 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I just stated a new thread that will hopefully get input from current baby seat owners that will give up updated baby seat brand/names/etc that work best. Doing a search usually yields some good info but the model/etc are outdated and unavailable.

I posted my use in that thread and hopefully others will chime in as this seems to be a topic that gets ALOT of play over the years.

Quick Reply: Baby seats in a coupe...?? anyone have pics???