Sponsored by:

escaped a ticket

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 11:47 PM
JReid
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by salayc
Do what I did at 16, get a motorcycle. If you survive until 18, you have a new respect for speed and inertia, oh, and a little more scar and less skin
I did this and took it one step further as well; I started racing motorcycles. Now I rarely get crazy on the street because what's the point? When you can go to the track and exploit everything the car/bike has to offer it makes driving/riding on the streets terribly boring. The track definitely made me a safer and slower driver/rider on the streets. Good adivce, if slightly misguided.
Old 01-12-2009, 01:12 AM
salayc
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 02R6
I did this and took it one step further as well; I started racing motorcycles. Now I rarely get crazy on the street because what's the point? When you can go to the track and exploit everything the car/bike has to offer it makes driving/riding on the streets terribly boring. The track definitely made me a safer and slower driver/rider on the streets. Good adivce, if slightly misguided.
Def. not an endorsement for a motorcycle, rather an endorsement of physics. I raced as well and what I learned was how crazy the street was. The best part of racing was learning the capabilities of the machine under you. Now, I am aware enough of the capabilities of a car that it's enough for me to recognize how a car reacts even when it's not pushed to the edge. I also try to always respect the lives of others, so I just don't see how it's worth it to push a car (or a driver) on the street. If you can afford a 997 or Ferrari as a teenager, you can afford track time and there's no need to risk anyone else's life. Maybe Raphael is a reckless driver, maybe not, but most likely he will not consider any of this until he is at least 30.
Old 01-12-2009, 06:00 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by salayc
I also try to always respect the lives of others, so I just don't see how it's worth it to push a car (or a driver) on the street. If you can afford a 997 or Ferrari as a teenager, you can afford track time and there's no need to risk anyone else's life. Maybe Raphael is a reckless driver, maybe not, but most likely he will not consider any of this until he is at least 30.

Yup! totally agree. He's not going to get it until one of two things happen i) he's mature enough to realize the consequences of his actions ii) he kills himself or someone else.

It's sad to see someone who has the ability to drive such well engineered cars to be so totally undeserving and unworthy of doing so.

He obviously has the means to take the car to the track. He should limit his poor behavior to that forum.

I'm sure there's another Enzo out there waiting for this guy to come along and split in half after he wraps it around a pole. Poor undeserving car.
Old 01-13-2009, 09:49 AM
LJpete
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He should do some DE's. It will give him a newly found sense of modesty and at worst give him more basic understanding of car control and the physics/consequences behind driving that fast.

Better yet, start at an autocross where speeds are slower (less potential for damage) and he'll still get a dose of humble pie on his ability when he gets schooled. Even if he manages not to loose it he will learn again car control, physics and see what people that have experience can do. You never know, maybe he'll even get into performance driving in a safe and controlled environment.

While I have very little tolerance of young kids or others regardless of age driving like lunatics on the road, I would encourage him to learn in a safe place where there are less variables like other civilians (who can't drive) and do unpredictable things that can potentially result in an accident (see the kid that t-boned me on the way home from work and put me in 2+ years and counting in physical therapy). With speeds that high, it doesn't matter who's at fault, the collision will result in serious consequences.

Get your thrills at the track or Autocross,

/soapbox
Old 01-13-2009, 03:28 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by RaphaelPlascencia
As I said before, it's something I did only about 3 times on empty, straight, visible roads. I got it out of my system like I think most P-car owners have at some time, & I probably won't do it again. I'm not trying to start some huge argument here with any of you, much less with Bill Nye The Science Guy, AKA WellardMac who gets way too **** about things. As for the DE suggestion, I've actually been looking into it on the PCA of San Diego site & am thinking of trying it out this year. Oh, & for you guys saying I shouldn't be driving a Porsche, too bad. I'm most likely getting a 997S this year. But when the economy gets back on it's feet, I'll be replacing with an F-car or Lambo so you can all be happy.

Oh, & completely off topic here, but does anyone know a good detailer in the san diego area? My car is in desperate need of a good polish. I need to get rid of scratches, swirl marks, etc. & I want it to look like glass.
LOL!!! C'mon, guys. Read the original post and the above quote again. This is just a kid leting off some hot air. Bragging and enlarging. Maybe he did, maybe he didn't, know what I mean?

Quick Reply: escaped a ticket