Sponsored by:

escaped a ticket

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 10:34 AM
yasuro
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Barn996
Tim, I have to say BS...unless you have a chip. new air induction, coffee can aftermarket exhaust, large rear wing and spinner hub caps....you couldn't possibly do 46 mph!!!
don't forget the "powered by acura" vinyl all over the car. that adds 20-25 rhp (riceboy horse power).
Old 01-10-2009, 10:47 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Barn996
Tim, I have to say BS...unless you have a chip. new air induction, coffee can aftermarket exhaust, large rear wing and spinner hub caps....you couldn't possibly do 46 mph!!!
Oh, ye of little faith! My car is a MONSTER!

Originally Posted by Wellardmac
He was driving downhill with the wind behind him.
EXACTLY!!!!
Old 01-10-2009, 11:44 AM
Dave!
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Wellardmac
In previous posts you have admitted to being 18 years old.

I can guarantee that at 18 years old that your car is far more capable then you are as a driver. Maturity is about restraint and knowing when not to do something even when you can. It is clear from your posts that you are not capable of restraint (in driving or attitude) and therefore have a ways to go before maturity.
18 year old drivers should not have 911s. When I was 18 I was getting myself in more than enough trouble in a dodge neon, had I a 911 I'd be dead right now.

Maturity aside, an 18 year old simply doesn't have the driving experience necessary to control a normal car in an emergency situation, let alone a car with a big fat butt.
Old 01-10-2009, 01:01 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave!
18 year old drivers should not have 911s. When I was 18 I was getting myself in more than enough trouble in a dodge neon, had I a 911 I'd be dead right now.

Maturity aside, an 18 year old simply doesn't have the driving experience necessary to control a normal car in an emergency situation, let alone a car with a big fat butt.
I agree with you 100%.

I'm not saying that there are not any very capable 18 year old drivers out there, but I am saying that they are very, very rare. In my opinion the words and behavior of this particular 18 year old suggests that he is not one of them.

Last edited by Wellardmac; 01-10-2009 at 02:03 PM.
Old 01-10-2009, 02:42 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by DreamCarrera
I have to call BS on this one.

If this were true you would have been cuffed and stuffed in the blink of an eye, at least on one of the occasions.
Absolutely! +1
Old 01-11-2009, 02:03 AM
rotokim
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Even if Raphael is a capable driver, a teenager at over 120+ on a highway at night is ridiculous - no matter where you are. Posting it on a public internet site with your full name is really a bad idea.
Bob
Old 01-11-2009, 02:24 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by rotokim
Even if Raphael is a capable driver, a teenager at over 120+ on a highway at night is ridiculous - no matter where you are. Posting it on a public internet site with your full name is really a bad idea.
Bob
Let's see if I can recap this situation. An 18 year old kid with a 911, reportedly driving 170+ MPH, got 3 tickets in one month, and posting that info on a web site with what could be his full name.

18 year old kids believe: 1) they are indestructible, 2) know everything there is to know.

Unfortunately, the truth is that they: 1) are mortal like the rest of us, 2) don't know anything, 3) have no common sense, 4) have no clue how quickly bad things can happen when driving a "legal" speeds, let alone at 100+ MPH.
Old 01-11-2009, 11:25 AM
salayc
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by gota911
Let's see if I can recap this situation. An 18 year old kid with a 911, reportedly driving 170+ MPH, got 3 tickets in one month, and posting that info on a web site with what could be his full name.

18 year old kids believe: 1) they are indestructible, 2) know everything there is to know.

Unfortunately, the truth is that they: 1) are mortal like the rest of us, 2) don't know anything, 3) have no common sense, 4) have no clue how quickly bad things can happen when driving a "legal" speeds, let alone at 100+ MPH.
Funny how it changes... I remember times when I was at least a passenger with that kid, and now I can feel my blood boil when I see someone driving like that.
Do what I did at 16, get a motorcycle. If you survive until 18, you have a new respect for speed and inertia, oh, and a little more scar and less skin
Old 01-11-2009, 12:02 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by gota911

I think that you summed up this kid pretty well Tim - sadly he's too young and inexperienced to realize what a jackass he's being in risking his life and the life of others that happen to stumble into his path.

Honestly, 3 tickets in a month - he deserves to lose his license - any judge that does not do so needs kicking from the bench, as this kid obviously has a speeding issue. I've not had 3 tickets in my life, nevermind in one month. What we have here is someone that has no restraint and unleases in a dangerous manner. He should not be driving a Porsche until he has developed some maturity.

I have no problem with kids killing themselves (although I do feel sorry for their parents), as they're young enough that they've contributed nothing to the world and really have done nothing of value yet - honestly, the loss of an 18 year old from the world is not a big deal - it happens every day. It's a waste - potential lost, but they've done nothing of value to the world that I should mourn. I do have a problem when they risk taking themselves out in a manner that might take others with them.
Old 01-11-2009, 02:34 PM
uberskier
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post

Wellard,
As a math teacher I have no problems with your math.

3 tickets/1 month is just wrong. I would be upset with 3 tickets in a year! Although I don't even want to say how many tickets I've gotten in about 25 years, because it will probably jinx me - let's just say I'm almost at the same amount the kid got in a month.
Old 01-11-2009, 02:40 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by uberskier
Wellard,
As a math teacher I have no problems with your math.

3 tickets/1 month is just wrong. I would be upset with 3 tickets in a year! Although I don't even want to say how many tickets I've gotten in about 25 years, because it will probably jinx me - let's just say I'm almost at the same amount the kid got in a month.
Thanks! I checked several sources and came to around the same numbers, so figured I couldn't be too far off. I found the original numbers on a Nissan 350Z forum and went from there.

As for tickets - I've only had one in the 21 years that I have been driving. Could I have gotten more? Sure, but I'm smart in where, when, and how long I put my foot down. I've also had some lucky escapes. I certainly would never do speeds like that on a public road - especially at night!

I think I've already published my philosophy on speeding before, but here's a quick recap (and I'll probably forget something)
i) only when conditions allow - i.e. good weather and a clear road
ii) only go as fast as you can see - i.e., you have to be able to see far enough ahead that you can see beyond your stopping distance and there should be no potential for surprises or obstacles within that stopping distance.
iii) don't speed in an area that's frequently patrolled and has speed traps.
iv) drive within your limitations
v) do not do anything that will endangers others
vi) be willing to accept the consequences of your speed if you're caught - bear in mind if you're +20mph over the limit, then you are going to get a nice ride in a police cruiser if you're caught.
Old 01-11-2009, 05:20 PM
russo
Three Wheelin'

Raphael, have you spent some time at DE track events? If not, I strongly urge you to attend. They are a great deal of fun and, speaking for myself, allow you to exercise your speed demons in a safe and controlled environment. Look, I am not saying that I am a saint, but I do know that as much as I would like to take my car to top speed I simply refrain myself and await the next track event.
Old 01-11-2009, 05:34 PM
rotokim
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Great point, russo. The track will give you an experience that will make fast driving on highways seem like a waste of time.

The last thing I'd want to do is squash Raphael's enthusiasm for Porsche. I was 18 with my brother's Porsche decades ago (don't get excited - it was an automatic 924) and I managed to drive like a crazy man most of the time. Once I got a little older, I lost some of that desire and developed a lot more respect for the law and physics. I hope he will too.

Raphael, be crazy about your car. But, heed some middle-aged advice and take it to the track.

Bob
Old 01-11-2009, 06:37 PM
911_993_997
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

As I said before, it's something I did only about 3 times on empty, straight, visible roads. I got it out of my system like I think most P-car owners have at some time, & I probably won't do it again. I'm not trying to start some huge argument here with any of you, much less with Bill Nye The Science Guy, AKA WellardMac who gets way too **** about things. As for the DE suggestion, I've actually been looking into it on the PCA of San Diego site & am thinking of trying it out this year. Oh, & for you guys saying I shouldn't be driving a Porsche, too bad. I'm most likely getting a 997S this year. But when the economy gets back on it's feet, I'll be replacing with an F-car or Lambo so you can all be happy.

Oh, & completely off topic here, but does anyone know a good detailer in the san diego area? My car is in desperate need of a good polish. I need to get rid of scratches, swirl marks, etc. & I want it to look like glass.

Last edited by 911_993_997; 01-11-2009 at 07:47 PM.
Old 01-11-2009, 11:09 PM
Dave!
Rennlist Member

Who is your dad and why is he trying to get you killed?

Edit: Any chance you're Nick Hogan?

Quick Reply: escaped a ticket