996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Transmission "kaputt"?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2008 | 10:22 AM
salayc
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by pszikla
The diagnosis at this time is that the noise is differential related.
I have put the car down for the winter, but it will be the first thing to do in the spring.
The Indy thinks that it may be as simple as changing out bearings?
I'll repost on this in April.
Cheers, Pete
Constant humming sounds bearing related.
GL.
Old 12-23-2008 | 01:16 PM
chago996
Racer

So what happens to trans. fluid over life of car? I have read that since there is no combustion residues like engine oil, it can last the life of the car. Does it lose viscosity, or is it micro debris that degenerates the fluid?
Old 12-23-2008 | 06:03 PM
pat056
Rennlist Member

Not a transmission expert.
I can tell you that after I changed my tranny fluid (75k miles), my grinding into 2nd gear ceased, as in it's never happened since. I now have 88k miles on it.
Also, I recommend letting the tranny warm up before getting fisky with it. For me, that's at least 10 minutes of very easy shifting and only shifting above 3500 rpm. But that's me. I like keeping the car running above 3500 rpm anytime.
Old 12-23-2008 | 07:41 PM
SH || NC
Drifting

Originally Posted by chago996
So what happens to trans. fluid over life of car?
I'm no expert either, but I'm sure it get heat cycled and degrades just like another other fluid. For my use, I plan on doing it soon, or at my 45k service.
Old 12-23-2008 | 09:18 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

FWIW on the 996 Cup car, Porsche wants you to change the transmission fluid every TEN HOURS. I change mine annually just in case and on the RS about every 10 hours of track time.
Old 12-24-2008 | 06:28 PM
rmillnj
Racer

Originally Posted by Rickker
Michael, was the transmission noisy for a long time before you had the oil drained out? My C4 makes a very noticable noise when applying light throttle in 5th or 6th gear. The noise goes away when letting up on the throttle. However, in my case, when we drained the oil, it was clean as a whistle. Not a thing on the magnetic drain plug. However, it has this noise which worries me. Just wondered if your transmission noise got louder and louder with time, or stayed the same until you drained the oil?
....Rickker
My '99 made the same kind of noise, only under throttle. After a lot of looking and misdiagnosis, they finally figured out that it was the clutches on the limited slip differential. As a result my transmission was replaced under warranty. The good news was that before they figured it out, all of the bearings on the serpentine pulley and the alternator got replaced under warranty. And then since the transmission was being replaced I got the clutch replaced and only had to pay for parts. Labor was covered under the warranty.
Old 12-27-2008 | 09:12 AM
Rickker
Racer

Originally Posted by rmillnj
My '99 made the same kind of noise, only under throttle. After a lot of looking and misdiagnosis, they finally figured out that it was the clutches on the limited slip differential. As a result my transmission was replaced under warranty.
Ron, we have had some PMs on this subject, and I fear that my problem is the same as you have described. Unfortunately warranty coverage has long expired on my '99 C4. In the meantime, my engine expired, and the issue of a noisy transmission became trivial in comparason. I am just hoping the transmission will hold together until I recover from the cost of the engine replacement.
....Rickker
Old 12-27-2008 | 12:04 PM
ejdoherty911
Three Wheelin'

I was selling two transmissions about 6 months ago and couldn't find any buyers for months and months and months, including on this board. I was only asking $500 ! Ended up selling them to someone in Ireland. He installed them both and was very very happy. Saved him literally $7000 euro. Over there transmissions were about $4000 euro.
Old 12-27-2008 | 02:27 PM
SH || NC
Drifting

$500!? Wow; I think I would have bought one just for cheap insurance.
Old 12-28-2008 | 06:24 PM
Rickker
Racer

Originally Posted by ejdoherty911
I was selling two transmissions about 6 months ago and couldn't find any buyers for months and months and months, including on this board. I was only asking $500 ! Ended up selling them to someone in Ireland. He installed them both and was very very happy. Saved him literally $7000 euro. Over there transmissions were about $4000 euro.
Let me know if you come up with any more for sale. I may need one of the AWD (C4) type.
...Rickker

Quick Reply: Transmission "kaputt"?