Sponsored by:

Transmission "kaputt"?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 11:49 PM
michael9962007
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Transmission "kaputt"?

My 2000 996 C2 convertible with 81, 000 miles, always properly serviced, started producing grinding noises in its engine. An independent porsche mechanic whom I consulted suggested (after driving the car for a couple of minutes around the block)that maybe the bearings are worn out. He told me that I was at least the 10th person with problems that he thinks are due to the fact that Porsche does not recommend a transmission fluid change until the 90, 000 mile service.....went to my dealer, had them drain the fluid, they found shavings in it and would take $9,500 for a transmission replacement....if the other expert is right, couldn't that have been avoided by an earlier fluid change? If so, shouldn't Porsche foot the bill (or at least split the costs with me?).

How frequent are problems like mine? Anybody else who experienced something similar?
Old 12-21-2008, 12:08 AM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

why dont you get have it Rebuilt thru an indipedent or get a Used Tranny... much cheaper... Engine and Trans problem are preety common on Porsches...
Old 12-21-2008, 06:50 AM
Rickker
Racer

Originally Posted by michael9962007
My 2000 996 C2 convertible with 81, 000 miles, always properly serviced, started producing grinding noises in its engine. An independent porsche mechanic whom I consulted suggested (after driving the car for a couple of minutes around the block)that maybe the bearings are worn out. He told me that I was at least the 10th person with problems that he thinks are due to the fact that Porsche does not recommend a transmission fluid change until the 90, 000 mile service.....went to my dealer, had them drain the fluid, they found shavings in it and would take $9,500 for a transmission replacement....if the other expert is right, couldn't that have been avoided by an earlier fluid change? If so, shouldn't Porsche foot the bill (or at least split the costs with me?).

How frequent are problems like mine? Anybody else who experienced something similar?
Michael, was the transmission noisy for a long time before you had the oil drained out? My C4 makes a very noticable noise when applying light throttle in 5th or 6th gear. The noise goes away when letting up on the throttle. However, in my case, when we drained the oil, it was clean as a whistle. Not a thing on the magnetic drain plug. However, it has this noise which worries me. Just wondered if your transmission noise got louder and louder with time, or stayed the same until you drained the oil?
....Rickker
Old 12-21-2008, 07:33 AM
JDSStudios
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Rickker
Michael, was the transmission noisy for a long time before you had the oil drained out? My C4 makes a very noticable noise when applying light throttle in 5th or 6th gear. The noise goes away when letting up on the throttle. However, in my case, when we drained the oil, it was clean as a whistle. Not a thing on the magnetic drain plug. However, it has this noise which worries me. Just wondered if your transmission noise got louder and louder with time, or stayed the same until you drained the oil?
....Rickker
I thought the stock plug was NOT magnetic;
did you put in an after market?
Old 12-21-2008, 09:32 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Personally, I would NEVER wait 90K before I change my tranny fluid but that is not what let to your gearbox going. Second, the gearbox on these cars is not $9.5K unless you are paying full retail markup. You can have a full rebuild with cup gears (steel NOT brass) for less than that. Talk about blowing sunshine up your ***. Frickin dealers! And lastly, no, these are NOT "common" in these cars.

And no, the potentially busted tranny is NOT a result of a 90K fluid interval rec'd by PCNA. Nice try but no, that is not something you can pin on PCNA.

I would start by contacting somebody like Sunset Porsche up in Oregon to see what they will sell it for since they have dealer cost+15% on their parts.

Where are you located? I am sure many of us here could rec'd a good shop to REALLY diagnose this for you.

By the way, how long have you had the car?
Old 12-21-2008, 10:23 AM
Rickker
Racer

Originally Posted by JDSStudios
I thought the stock plug was NOT magnetic;
did you put in an after market?
Now that you mention it, I'm not sure. I guess I assumed that it was magnetic, since many cars (including my first Porsche, a 1969 911T) were fitted with magnetic plugs. Does anyone have the definitive answer on this?
...Rickker
Old 12-21-2008, 01:40 PM
pszikla
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

My noise turned out to be coming from the diff, not the tranny.
No noise on load, noisy when coasting!
Pete
Old 12-21-2008, 01:44 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts
Default It takes more than a few metal pieces in transmission fluid to...

Originally Posted by michael9962007

warrant a transmission replacement. Transmissions, especially manual ones and I don't know from your post which type your car has, are notorious for having metal debris present in a fluid drain, especially the 1st one.

Now if the drained fluid has a metallic sheen this indicates metal to metal contactd and wear.

The noise though could and probably is significant. However, if car equipped with manual transmission noise could come from another source.

An automatic (Tip) equipped car the noise might come from low or just old fluid. Depends upon the noise and if any other symptoms present.

Car out of warranty. If transmission due to be replaced it will be on your tab, not Porsche's. If you can convince the dealer/Porsche to extend you some goodwill towards the repair more power to you.

Too late now, but transmission fluid is a vital fluid, vital to the proper and continued trouble-free operation of the transmission. I know this is hard to accept but just because the Porsche owners manual doesn't schedule a transmission fluid change doesn't mean you can't ignore and have it changed at some reasonable interval.

Porsche and other car makers have begun, have actually been engaged in for some time what M. Miller who writes for a BMW mag. calls "global war on maintenance". Essentially these cars are seen as simply buy and drive and requiring as little maintenance as possible. 15,000, 20,000 (or more with cars equipped with "oil change" computer) engine oil changes and "life time" coolant and "life time" transmission fluid.

Well, if you don't plan on keeping the car very long and if you plan on selling it privately and can convince a prospective buyer the lack of agressive service is nothing to be concerned about then there is no need to deviate from the schedule Porsche recommends.

However, if you plan on keeping the car and continue to enjoy it as trouble free as possible, more frequent vital fluid/filter services are a must.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 12-21-2008, 03:00 PM
Botsy67
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I also nerver believed in "lifetime" fluids starting with my bimmers, so I already changed my 996 transmission fluid when I just got the car at ~30K miles and plan to change it again at 60K miles. That way I really hope that I won't have severe transmission problem later on... Cheers,
Old 12-21-2008, 03:33 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What kind of noise are you guys talking about? Grinding(like missing a shift) or moaning(like a bad wheel bearing or a bad tire)?

Originally Posted by pszikla
My noise turned out to be coming from the diff, not the tranny.
No noise on load, noisy when coasting!
Pete
Old 12-21-2008, 09:34 PM
Rickker
Racer

Originally Posted by washington dc porsche
What kind of noise are you guys talking about? Grinding(like missing a shift) or moaning(like a bad wheel bearing or a bad tire)?
In my case, it is sort of a humming or moaning noise when applying light throttle at low rpms in the higher gears. This noise may very well also be there at higher revs, but is then masked by exhaust and intake noise. The main characteristic of the noise is that it is present under load and goes away when the throttle is lifted.
...Rickker
Old 12-22-2008, 10:58 AM
pszikla
Rennlist Member

Ditto, more humming, and quite loud but definetly not a "grinding sound" as a missed shift, and as I mentionned in my first post it was off load sound and quiet "on load".
Pete
Old 12-22-2008, 03:46 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you require a new tranny?

Originally Posted by pszikla
Ditto, more humming, and quite loud but definetly not a "grinding sound" as a missed shift, and as I mentionned in my first post it was off load sound and quiet "on load".
Pete
Old 12-23-2008, 10:07 AM
pszikla
Rennlist Member

Did you require a new tranny?
The diagnosis at this time is that the noise is differential related.
I have put the car down for the winter, but it will be the first thing to do in the spring.
The Indy thinks that it may be as simple as changing out bearings?
I'll repost on this in April.
Cheers, Pete
Old 12-23-2008, 10:22 AM
JDSStudios
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Rickker
Now that you mention it, I'm not sure. I guess I assumed that it was magnetic, since many cars (including my first Porsche, a 1969 911T) were fitted with magnetic plugs. Does anyone have the definitive answer on this?
...Rickker
Reason I mentioned it, is because I just replaced all liquids in my C4S,
transmission included, and the plug is NOT magnetic.

Either way, the oil was very clean, ver light amber (80,000Km).
It took 3.2L, and I will probably wont replace it again.

Brake fluid is hygroscopic, and that I will replace often.
Also, as far as I know, it is the only hygroscopic (so it absorbs water) liquid in the car.

Quick Reply: Transmission "kaputt"?