Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

381 hp was the 3.8 I believe.
Old 12-20-2008, 08:49 PM
Rickker
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JimB
The X51 is way more than the 25 advertised hp. If they will give you a great deal you should consider it.
I have heard this before from other sources, that Porsche has under rated the power of the X-51 engine. That the actual output is 7-10 BHP more than the rated 345. I wonder if there are some actual dyno results to support this, or is this just a myth?
....Rickker
Old 12-20-2008, 09:52 PM
Trj
Addict
Rennlist Member

I will try to get mine on the dyno. I know it seems to hang with the early cups and the 6 gt3s speed wise. Torque lacks in comparison though. I am also down to around 2800 lbs.....
Old 12-22-2008, 05:43 PM
vwrado
Instructor

Originally Posted by Trj
I will try to get mine on the dyno. I know it seems to hang with the early cups and the 6 gt3s speed wise. Torque lacks in comparison though. I am also down to around 2800 lbs.....
What did you do for weight loss to get it down to 2800lbs?
Old 12-22-2008, 07:46 PM
Trj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Removed the interior, sunroof, mufflers, door windows, side and rear glass replaced with lexan, optima battery ect...
Old 12-22-2008, 09:13 PM
deckman
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by russo
There is some controversy since Porsche has offered to pay 75/25 to replace my original 2002 45k engine due to casting defect in which the engine at the RMS is not able to completely seal.
Did yours leak leak like crazy as soon as the seal was replaced? How many times did you have to replace it?
Old 12-24-2008, 10:57 PM
NAO
Advanced

Originally Posted by Rickker
I have heard this before from other sources, that Porsche has under rated the power of the X-51 engine. That the actual output is 7-10 BHP more than the rated 345. I wonder if there are some actual dyno results to support this, or is this just a myth?
....Rickker
it could be true because I put on in a 2000 996 and the only mods is a muffler bypass and reprogrammed Ecu for adaption and it put out 370 on the dyno.
Old 12-24-2008, 11:24 PM
vwrado
Instructor

370 to the wheels? Isn't that faster than a GT3?
Old 12-24-2008, 11:30 PM
NAO
Advanced

fwhp
Old 12-25-2008, 02:06 PM
russo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did yours leak leak like crazy as soon as the seal was replaced? How many times did you have to replace it?

Deckman:
At no time was the oil leak of any significant volume, in fact, we are talking about 3 to 4 drops. Indeed, appreciating the fact that in a Porsche an oil leak may be a symptom of a potentially serious matter I had checked out by my local mechanic in which he confirmed the source was from the RMS. The dealer promptly replaced the seal at a cost of $1800.00, the car was already out of warranty. Ever since I replaced the seal both of my cars are parked over a 2 x 4 piece of cardboard so that just a single drop of oil is promptly noticed. Well, 5 months after the seal was replaced I noticed 3 drops of oil on the cardboard surface. Called the dealer and explained the situation and drove the car over. They replaced the seal at their cost. 3 months later, again a few drops of oil and hence back to the dealer. This time the mechanic had noticed that when the engine is at temperature there was no leak. When the engine cooled he did notice a drop or two of oil on the floor. At this point, Porsche conceded that this was an engine in which there was a defect in the casting of the metal at the RMS junction. In any case, Porsche did make good and offered to pay 75% for a new engine. Remember, an 02 with 45K miles, way out of warranty coverage.
Porsche did me right, I don't know if owning 3 Porches affected their decision to rule in my favor. Needless to say, they have me as a lifetime customer. I mention this because while the matter was being discussed between the dealer and manufacturer I began to seriously consider a Ferrari as my next car.
Old 12-25-2008, 02:49 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by russo

Deckman:
At no time was the oil leak of any significant volume, in fact, we are talking about 3 to 4 drops. Indeed, appreciating the fact that in a Porsche an oil leak may be a symptom of a potentially serious matter I had checked out by my local mechanic in which he confirmed the source was from the RMS. The dealer promptly replaced the seal at a cost of $1800.00, the car was already out of warranty. Ever since I replaced the seal both of my cars are parked over a 2 x 4 piece of cardboard so that just a single drop of oil is promptly noticed. Well, 5 months after the seal was replaced I noticed 3 drops of oil on the cardboard surface. Called the dealer and explained the situation and drove the car over. They replaced the seal at their cost. 3 months later, again a few drops of oil and hence back to the dealer. This time the mechanic had noticed that when the engine is at temperature there was no leak. When the engine cooled he did notice a drop or two of oil on the floor. At this point, Porsche conceded that this was an engine in which there was a defect in the casting of the metal at the RMS junction. In any case, Porsche did make good and offered to pay 75% for a new engine. Remember, an 02 with 45K miles, way out of warranty coverage.
Porsche did me right, I don't know if owning 3 Porches affected their decision to rule in my favor. Needless to say, they have me as a lifetime customer. I mention this because while the matter was being discussed between the dealer and manufacturer I began to seriously consider a Ferrari as my next car.
You are correct. Porsche did treat you right!

Quick Reply: 3.6 L x51?