996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

996 w/Tracking and AutoX Bad?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 09:44 PM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just put over 10 track days this summer. Some were PCA and some were private track days with lots of track time. So far the car is pretty reliable except both cats failed but were replaced under warranty. I did put the X51 oil pan to help prevent oil starvation. I like the car and really not afraid to track it although I did spend a few bucks on suspension, sway bars, brakes.
Old 10-16-2008, 10:43 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by EG9
I've read lots on 996 engine life but havn't found any info on how reliable the engine when doing lots of autox and track days throughout the year. The car would also be a daily driver. This is an '03 C4s w/25K miles. If it is serviced regularly than does this type of use deminish the engines life span?? or is this engine bullet proof??

Thanks,

Ed-
Ed,

Enjoy your car on the road and track. With proper care tracking will not decrease the life of your car. You'll certainly need to perform some maint. tasks more frequently (oil changes, pads, brake fluid, etc.) but these cars will hold up fine for years of track use.

I've driven my 986 (which uses a smaller version of the same engine in the 996) for eight years of road and track use with no adverse affects.
Old 10-16-2008, 11:06 PM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

if your going to track regularly make sure you use Mobil1 5W50... that is if you want longevity... track wear related failures will happen later than sooner... but you can protect your engine against high temperatures with Mobil1 5W50 (which also flows well in colder temperature)... maybe also invest in a X51 oil pan to prevent oil starvation...
Old 10-16-2008, 11:40 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

3.4 and 3.6 engines are ticking time bombs. They all blow up, or catch on fire, or get RMS, or have some other catastophic failure. DON'T DRIVE IT. Anywhere. Not on the road. Not on the track.

Besides, the watercooled 996 is not a real race/track car. You need something aircooled like a 993.
What a croc... Of you know what!
Clearly you were not around when this topic, and many others, were discussed in various contexts. My post was a facetious and humorous way of saying, do a search. Those that have been around a while caught the references. You ok with that Ben or should I say Sean?

FWIW, here are some of the old posts, so you can be in the "know" instead of left field:

Thread: Is the 996 a bad tack car

Thread: 996 Not a real Porsche

Thread: How reliable are 3.4 engines

Thread: 996 Reliability

Thread: Car catching fire (1)

Thread: Car fire (2)

Thread: catastrophic engine failure

Thread: IMS Failure

Here is a classic answer that should be ingrained in all our memories:

Originally Posted by Wellardmac
I just love it when this question comes up each week.

Search for engine, RMS, oil, then sit back and suspend reality.

At least I didn't do that

-td

Quick Reply: 996 w/Tracking and AutoX Bad?