Sponsored by:

996 Not a real Porsche?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 12:39 AM
trackjunky
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 996 Not a real Porsche?

Just thought I'd light a match here in the 996 forum. Here's what was said in the Racing forum:

"Good for you sticking up for the 996, one of few the track junkies....next you will tell us that it is the best lookng Porsche every made??? In the old day's Porsche would have to change very little to race there productions cars. Since the 996 came along..... They had to creat an entirely new model line to keep racing.... 996 is not a real Porsche in my book."

Don't worry, you'll be able to find the thread.

Old 09-21-2007, 12:49 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

You mean that my 996 is not a REAL Porsche??? Man, that pi$$es me off!
Old 09-21-2007, 12:53 AM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 79 Posts

996 not a real Porsche? He**, it's not even a real car. LOL
Old 09-21-2007, 01:22 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

some ppl like to stick to old technology.
given unlimited resources i will ALWAYS have the latest p car.
Old 09-21-2007, 01:28 AM
RS 197
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can apprecitate you guy's enjoy your 996 cars....Don't get to crazy on me. You did not build the cars.

Here are a few questions I could not get past when I considered a 996.

Why is the 993 holding there value while the 996 is depreciating as much as any other 911 based car.
Why did Porsche go away from it's roots, change the power plant?..... Proffit..... Well it worked. they are the most profitable car company in the world. They did not get there building GT3's and Turbo's. The profit is in there production based models.
No more hand built cars...Assembly line issues, quality issues. Interior O.K. at best, Styling not up to par.
The power plant is a throw away, way cheeper to just replace than rebuild... The gear box is getting better, but not close to the G50 in durabiltiy.
Porsche would not have a cup car if it was based on the stock 996 engine. They were not designed to withstand a race track. That is a huge compromize in my book.

Let us all look back on what made Porsche what it is today.... Not the buisiness model of the 996.... If the fist 911 would have been the quality and Reliabiltiy of a 996, Porsche would have no race roots specializing in mini vans and econo cars.

I do appreciate all that have purchased a 996,997,Cayman, SUV......Production cars....They are great cars. Without all of your $$$ Porsche could not afford to offer the GT3 or Turbo to the few that appreciate it.

Again, try not to take it too personal. For me I will repeat, a 996 is not a real porsche. It is a compromize for the all mighty dollar.....
Old 09-21-2007, 01:32 AM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I heard that they were made in China, and are covered in lead based paint...
Old 09-21-2007, 01:46 AM
JBRipps
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Joe....have you ever driven one? And I'm not just talking about driving one around the block. You can't even try to compare transmissions....they are different entities. Are you talking durability, as in they last long? The G50 shifts like a school bus.

The depreciation issue is based on simple economics.....supply and demand. And if you could replace your sacred air cooled engine for half the price as rebuilding it....are you saying you'd rebuild it? I don't think so. A replaceable engine is a fantastic luxury in my eyes.

And where the hell is it written that a 993 was not a "production" car? Geeeeez. Get off your high horse and drive a 996 on the track while using the A/C, and maybe, just maybe, you'll change your mind. I know you have never done that, as it surely would be in your evidentiary report already. Will the 993 go down as one of the best looking 911's ever? Absolutely. But to say a 996 is not a real Porsche is sheer ignorance.

Your issues sound like they are coming from someone who really doesn't know too much about Porsche in general, but I am very confident that you are a 993 expert. I know the 996 outperforms the 993 in almost every single aspect. Do the doors of the newer car "snap shut" like the older ones? No....but that doesn't make a 996 not real. You sound ridiculous. Just my 2 cents...and this is coming from someone who also owns an '85 targa for the past 8 years. I'm just thankful that I own at least one real porsche....phewwwww. No flaming intended....not.

Sounds like you jumped from air cooled directly to a 997.....prolly cuz the lights look better.
J
Old 09-21-2007, 01:47 AM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Originally Posted by RS 197
I can apprecitate you guy's enjoy your 996 cars....Don't get to crazy on me. You did not build the cars.

Here are a few questions I could not get past when I considered a 996.

Why is the 993 holding there value while the 996 is depreciating as much as any other 911 based car.
Why did Porsche go away from it's roots, change the power plant?..... Proffit..... Well it worked. they are the most profitable car company in the world. They did not get there building GT3's and Turbo's. The profit is in there production based models.
No more hand built cars...Assembly line issues, quality issues. Interior O.K. at best, Styling not up to par.
The power plant is a throw away, way cheeper to just replace than rebuild... The gear box is getting better, but not close to the G50 in durabiltiy.
Porsche would not have a cup car if it was based on the stock 996 engine. They were not designed to withstand a race track. That is a huge compromize in my book.

Let us all look back on what made Porsche what it is today.... Not the buisiness model of the 996.... If the fist 911 would have been the quality and Reliabiltiy of a 996, Porsche would have no race roots specializing in mini vans and econo cars.

I do appreciate all that have purchased a 996,997,Cayman, SUV......Production cars....They are great cars. Without all of your $$$ Porsche could not afford to offer the GT3 or Turbo to the few that appreciate it.

Again, try not to take it too personal. For me I will repeat, a 996 is not a real porsche. It is a compromize for the all mighty dollar.....

WTF are you talking about? Do you even know?

-As far as a 996's resale value compared to a 993's is concerned, it is a simple lesson in supply and demand. There were far more 996s made and therefore the values of these cars are taking a bigger hit. In case you haven't heard the 996 will outperform the 993 in EVERY way. PERIOD. END OF STORY

-Porsche decided to abandon the air-cooled engine because it was inadequate to handle the extra horsepower Porsche needed in order to continue to evolve the 911 into the future. Don't get me wrong, I love the older air cooled P-Cars but they are old technology.

-The interior and styling are more than up to par, in fact, I believe they are exceptional. The 996's interior has all of the modern touches but it still has its pure sports car roots.

Go back to the 993 board and post your BS there where it is welcome and appreciated.
Old 09-21-2007, 02:19 AM
RS 197
Pro

Originally Posted by DreamCarrera

WTF are you talking about? Do you even know?

-As far as a 996's resale value compared to a 993's is concerned, it is a simple lesson in supply and demand. There were far more 996s made and therefore the values of these cars are taking a bigger hit. In case you haven't heard the 996 will outperform the 993 in EVERY way. PERIOD. END OF STORY

-Porsche decided to abandon the air-cooled engine because it was inadequate to handle the extra horsepower Porsche needed in order to continue to evolve the 911 into the future. Don't get me wrong, I love the older air cooled P-Cars but they are old technology.

-The interior and styling are more than up to par, in fact, I believe they are exceptional. The 996's interior has all of the modern touches but it still has its pure sports car roots.

Go back to the 993 board and post your BS there where it is welcome and appreciated.
I asked you guy's not to take it personal. But you did, It is ok. I enjoy when people have passion. Even if it is a 996, better than an Evo.

993 Board? I am am RS guy at heart. 964 being my favorate.

Your quote somes up your mind set: You said: "Porsche decided to abandon the air-cooled engine because it was inadequate to handle the extra horsepower Porsche needed in order to continue to evolve the 911 into the future. Don't get me wrong, I love the older air cooled P-Cars but they are old technology."

Based on your statement answer this questions? GT3, GT2, Turbo, Cup, RSR. They put out more H.P. but they are based on the same engine block that Porsche has been developing for the last 30+ years...."Old Technology", using your logic... Why don't all 996 cars have GT3 power plants??? Profit. Plain and simple. For Porsche to make money they comprimized. What do you think the next race car platform will be based on. Not the 996 motor, design will not handle it. So what good is the development of the 996 power plant? Not for racing. For profit.... Because of guy's like you it is working.

I will retract my statements, apoligize and take my limited experience back where I came from. A 996 is a great car. I guess I am stuck in the past... Sorry.
Old 09-21-2007, 02:19 AM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Joe, I am curious, is the 997 a "real Porsche?" It is essentially the 996 with numerous improvements. Does that make the 997 a fake Porsche also?

I am not going to even ask about the Boxster or Cayman, I already know the answer to that question. LOL
Old 09-21-2007, 02:29 AM
adsc4s
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DreamCarrera

Porsche actually went to water cooling because of stringent emissions and sound regulations in Europe.

I will now go back to the 993 board and post some more BS.
Old 09-21-2007, 02:32 AM
RS 197
Pro

A 997 GT3 has Porsche Roots..... The production 997 has many improvements but still a comprimize in the drive train....Boxer and Cayman are great cars that fit a nitch. Porscche hit a home run with there marketing. I have no problem with them. They are not the Flagship.
The flagship should be the best it can be. To do that Porsche would have to put the GT3 drivetrain ( or turbo )in every production 911 based car. Not possible... The botom line would suffer. In the old day's Porsche was less focused on the botom line and more focused on a great car. That mentality just about broke them.....

Long live all production based Porsche cars, and long live the GT3 for those who care....
Old 09-21-2007, 02:33 AM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

"I will now go back to the 993 board and post some more BS."

Thank You!!! That is all I ask.
Old 09-21-2007, 02:40 AM
Swede_Matt
Instructor

i just don't get the purpose of these threads. It's like my XXX is bigger than your XXX.

I love Porsches, no matter if it's aircooled or watercooled. I don't get this constant reiteration of how bad water cooled is. Do these guys think it will become thruth just because it's repeated ad nauseum?

This is my first and last post on this type of thread. Just couldn't let it be this time.

Bye
Old 09-21-2007, 04:34 AM
juankimalo
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Nobody asked for your opinion. I don't understand people who want argue
If you think It is not a sporty car, better for you.

Just go to read the Nordschleife lap time of the whole 911 production, drivenby the same person....
You will find that 996 C2 did almost the same time as 993 TT (320hp vs 408hp turbo)...

Quick Reply: 996 Not a real Porsche?