Sponsored by:

Gauge face replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 11:43 AM
jax996
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gauge face replacement

Hey everyone! How difficult is it to replace the gauge faces? Should it be a "pro" job or can it be done at home? If it is a pro job, how much time should they ask to do it?

Thanks!
Old 10-13-2008, 04:22 PM
DFC
Rennlist Member

I have not done it, but it does not look too bad, maybe a few hours work. Try a search, there is some good info.

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index...opic=1562&st=0

http://boxsters.addr.com/hacks/cluster.htm
Old 10-13-2008, 09:55 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

I recall reading a DYI a couple of years ago stating that the most difficult part is replacing the gauge needles EXACTLY where they were initially. Take a pic prior to removing the needles.

Also, the guy who wrote the DYI I am talking about removed the needles with a kitchen fork, so he wouldn't bend them. Let space between two of the forks straddle the needle post, so he had support on both ends of the needle.
Old 10-13-2008, 10:22 PM
smshirk
Three Wheelin'

New gauge faces come with a special tool. It's quite a bit better than a fork I would think.Noy a difficult job, but you can screw it up. I bought a cheapo off ebay and practiced first and glad i did
Old 10-14-2008, 01:37 AM
Botsy67
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by DFC
I have not done it, but it does not look too bad, maybe a few hours work. Try a search, there is some good info.

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index...opic=1562&st=0

http://boxsters.addr.com/hacks/cluster.htm
Thanks for the link, greatly appreciate that as I was also wonderig how to remove the instrument cluster. I am glad that the instructions did not require the disconnection of the battery which is better for me since I am not sure if I have the radio code
Old 10-14-2008, 08:43 AM
Gaspasser19
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Botsy67
Thanks for the link, greatly appreciate that as I was also wonderig how to remove the instrument cluster. I am glad that the instructions did not require the disconnection of the battery which is better for me since I am not sure if I have the radio code
Botsy, if you ever find yourself in need of the radio code there's a sticky post over at http://www.renntech.org. Loren will hook you up. If you aren't already a member I would strongly recommend it. Tons of useful info over there.
Old 10-14-2008, 04:34 PM
DFC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Botsy67
Glad it helped. I just had my instrument pod off a few weeks ago (for the OBC hack). The hardest part was removing the hazard surround (savanna beige marks very easily) - there is a good write up on RennTech. Also, be sure to protect the dash - it marks quite easily.

+1 on the RennTech radio code sticky post. Usually a good practice to remove the neg battery cable when messing with electronics - be sure to lower your windows first, because they won't "drop" when you open/close the door.
Old 10-14-2008, 06:09 PM
deckman
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DFC
The hardest part was removing the hazard surround (savanna beige marks very easily) - there is a good write up on RennTech. Also, be sure to protect the dash - it marks quite easily.
These two points are not to be taken lightly. The hazrd switch can get all chewed up if you aren't careful when removing it, and the instrument pod WILL scratch your dash if you don't have a towel down to protect it. Voice of experience speaking here
Old 10-15-2008, 09:32 AM
smshirk
Three Wheelin'

You really should disconnect the battery to remove the cluster. I can send you the instructions. The factory manual recommends removing battery cable, plus there is a process to follow after reconnecting the battery. It is risky not to.

Quick Reply: Gauge face replacement