Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Successful Diminished Value Claims in California?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 07:05 PM
UCrazyKid
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Successful Diminished Value Claims in California?

Anyone got some success stories and advice?

I got hit: Estimate for repair ~$5K.
(insert crappy cell phone pic)

Attached Images  
Old 10-10-2008, 07:29 PM
Botsy67
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Sorry to hear about the accident, looks like it's not too serious and you are OK... The repair should only requires a new door panel, right? Hope you can also get the diminished value claim, I am sure others with chime in, never fun to get hit. Good luck...
Old 10-10-2008, 07:49 PM
UCrazyKid
Pro

Thanks for your concern. No one was hurt, in fact I was sitting down to a taco when some ones says to me "hey, isn't that your car?" Guy in a Dodge Dakota pulled out of his space and cranked the wheel without looking.

rear quarter panel is dented too (hard to see in pic), and mirror damage. Expense will be door, time/labor to remove trim, glass door accessories, they are painting the door jamb too. Unfortunately the rear quarter will require mud to smooth ( ). Added expenses: replacement of 3m clear bra $800, replacement of VIN placard on door ~$100, etc.

My insurance Co. encouraged me to talk to the P-car dealer to estimate diminished value, they will have tables they use for trade ins and selling. I also hear the rule of thumb is 15%
Old 10-10-2008, 08:01 PM
DFC
Rennlist Member

Sorry to hear of the accident, glad no one was hurt, other than the deep emotional scarring... j/k

I would absolutley push for diminished value, if you can show evidence / gather some data, you will have a case.

Best of Luck.
Old 10-10-2008, 08:26 PM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome to the club!

I am currently pursuing a diminished value claim thru ican200.com

It can be tricky, but they will help you navigate thru the mess.

If all else fails you can probably write the extra depreciation off on your taxes. (Assuming you itemize and have proper documentation to back it up.)

PM me if you want more info.
Old 10-21-2008, 03:23 PM
UCrazyKid
Pro

Bump
Old 10-21-2008, 08:06 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 261 Posts

Document the fact that there is no frame damage and you really only have to worry about matching paint.
Old 11-28-2016, 07:41 PM
Andrewck
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Look I used search...

My insurance policy does not include diminished value. My car is in extraordinary shape mechanically, but is going to the body shop to replace rear quarter panel and rear bumper following being side-swiped. I'm worried about this affecting resale value down the road and will likely have to pursue any diminished value claim via small claims court. Any ideas about how to quantitatively assign a diminished value that I should be claiming?
Old 11-28-2016, 11:24 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 456 Likes on 295 Posts

Read the articles in the links below, the may be useful:

Most insurance companies use a calculation known as “17c” to arrive at a monetary value for your car in post-wreck condition. This formula was first used in a Georgia claims case involving State Farm and derives its name from where it appeared in the court records for this case – paragraph 17, section c.
http://www.wikihow.com/Calculate-Diminished-Value

http://www.kielichlawfirm.com/insura...-value-claims/
Old 11-29-2016, 12:31 AM
WalterRohrl
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You don't say for sure but if there was another vehicle involved in many states you MUST claim directly from the other insurance company in order to claim diminished value. Going through your own insurer even for the accident damage will invalidate any diminished value claim. It does not matter what YOUR policy says, but you need to go through the other insurer and insist that A) Your car is fixed correctly and B) You are compensated for diminished value. If there was another insured driver involved I assume you are going through your own insurer at this point just for minimal hassle, just be aware it could cost you in the long run. My own experience is in Colorado, thankfully I never had to deal with this when we lived in CA.
Old 11-29-2016, 12:37 AM
Andrewck
Instructor

Thanks Cuda! That's exactly what I was looking for
Old 11-29-2016, 12:40 AM
Andrewck
Instructor

Walter, other driver didn't have insurance so I'm going through my insurer to fix the car and (most likely) through small claims court for diminished value.

Quick Reply: Successful Diminished Value Claims in California?