Sponsored by:

Talk me out of it.. Considering trade for M3

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 05:23 AM
dallasboats
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Serenity Now
I have a Carrera 2, 1999, runs great, recent once-over by the mechanics gave no known issues at all. 102k miles

Considering a 2002 BMW M3 for roughly and even trade. BMW has 60k miles, 6 spd, loaded with options, runs great.

I'm really looking to trade because I prefer a 6spd over the tiptronic and I'd prefer a slightly more accomodating backseat. I also think I would feel a little less nervous about taking a long trip in a 60k M3 than in a 102k 1999 996? I may do a track day once per year but mainly this would be a 3rd car that will see some highway commutes and carpooling a few days a week.

Feel free to (politely) tell me why I should keep the porsche.....
ok, m3's suck
Old 09-03-2008, 11:22 AM
Porx
Advanced

hi dallas
its not that they suck, they are a good car, i had a cabrio with smg2 blah blah blah and truley fun, and well built, and as far as three series goes, this model is the one (cabrio or not) BUT... its not a great car. Porsche is a tool and feels presicion in your hands, and apart the fact that the porsche is more desirable you will realise in time that after owning both you should have stuck with the 996. I know how you feel i also go through Porsche Boredom Syndrome and look to make suicidal decisions to sell it and get some thing 'better'
The fact is there isnt anything better (in its class/range).... and no matter whats comes to challenge it be it BMW or even AUDI r8 etc etc they are not in the same class.....

Stick with the 996 truley a great one .... !!
Old 09-03-2008, 12:08 PM
Michael Olsen
Track Day

Default 996-m3?

I did it, don't do it.

The m3 is great. You will miss the growl of the Porsche. I did, I'm back.

Never again, baby
Old 09-03-2008, 12:20 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Feel free to (politely) tell me why I should keep the porsche.....
Because the M3 is hugely overweight, understeers like a pig at the limit, emits anemic engine sounds (compaired to the 996) and is generally much less entertaining to drive than a 996.

Then again, it does have much larger back seats and trunk. What is important to you?
Old 09-03-2008, 04:04 PM
Fissionx
Racer

Originally Posted by Porx
the fact that the porsche is more desirable you will realise in time that after owning both you should have stuck with the 996.
Except that the only two people in this thread (Andy and myself) who currently own both a 911 and an M3 concur that the m3 is a better all around car, and if forced to have only ONE car, would chose the M3. Both of us track both the cars moderately to heavily. The m3 is much 'easier' to drive because it is such a balanced car and there are many ways to be fast in an m3.

The m3 is faster in a straight line; it has substantially more power under the curve than the 911, and despite much better aero on the 911, you will see higher straightaway speeds.
It is heavier (my m3 listed above weighed in at 3230lbs w/ 1/4 gas and no backseats)
The m3 is not nearly as neutral as the 911, but if driven properly (trail breaking, smoother turn-in) this can be dealt with.
All M3s come with electronic/variable Limited slip differential from the factory. I hate having an open diff on my 911. This helps a lot putting power down out of slow corners and skid-pad maneuvers.
There are much more/cheaper options out there for suspension and other performance parts.
UTILITY !!!! Backseats, useable trunk, cup holders, much better interior.

The 911 looks better, has much better brake, steering, and shifting feel. I went to the 911 because i wanted to experience a porsche 911 rear engine dynamics and have a more performance based platform/chassis. Buying the 911 has shown me what a great job BMW had done with the M3. I love both cars and in the end went with the 911 because I have a daily driver and wanted a more challenging/rewarding driving experience.

I just hate people saying the m3 sucks because it is such a great car, and if these (most) people ran into an equally set-up M3 with equally experience driver, the m3 would pass them on track...

In the end just drive both and see which suits your wants/needs the best.

:edit:
I should say I am making this comparison based on the MK1 996 C2 only. I have never driven a MK2 Carrera

Last edited by Fissionx; 09-03-2008 at 05:33 PM.
Old 09-03-2008, 04:06 PM
Meister Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Ray S
Because the M3 is hugely overweight, understeers like a pig at the limit, emits anemic engine sounds (compaired to the 996) and is generally much less entertaining to drive than a 996.

Then again, it does have much larger back seats and trunk. What is important to you?
Nicely done, the velvet hammer.

I've always loved the sound of BMW straight 6, had one in Germany.
6 > 8, less is more.
Old 09-03-2008, 04:34 PM
etwd
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ray S

Having recently owed an 05 M3 from new, I can attest to the fact that the car was an accident waiting to happen (worst understeer I've ever witnessed in a 'sports-car'). I lost the rear end in very easy maneuvers and was VERY unhappy with the stock suspension. The brakes were no better than my son's 330ci either. I was never so happy to rid myself of such an overweight car. And another thing, as you said, the exhaust tone was horrible. In standard form, it sounded like a Honda Civic w/ a large tail pipe. In aftermarket form, it sounded like a Honda Civic without cats and no muffler. Ever hear fellow M3 enthusiats' complain of the horrible 'RASp' from the exhaust? Those straight sixes sound so cheap! Almost as cheap as the Viper's do.

Porsche commands respect, end of story. M3 people are always ready to step up to the P-car, but in my experience, p-car owners' don't seem to follow their thoughts.............

Trust me when I say, I'll never look back! The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence, but we all know the real truth!
Old 09-03-2008, 06:39 PM
Serenity Now
Instructor

Originally Posted by Fissionx
Except that the only two people in this thread (Andy and myself) who currently own both a 911 and an M3 concur that the m3 is a better all around car, and if forced to have only ONE car, would chose the M3. Both of us track both the cars moderately to heavily. The m3 is much 'easier' to drive because it is such a balanced car and there are many ways to be fast in an m3.

The m3 is faster in a straight line; it has substantially more power under the curve than the 911, and despite much better aero on the 911, you will see higher straightaway speeds.
It is heavier (my m3 listed above weighed in at 3230lbs w/ 1/4 gas and no backseats)
The m3 is not nearly as neutral as the 911, but if driven properly (trail breaking, smoother turn-in) this can be dealt with.
All M3s come with electronic/variable Limited slip differential from the factory. I hate having an open diff on my 911. This helps a lot putting power down out of slow corners and skid-pad maneuvers.
There are much more/cheaper options out there for suspension and other performance parts.

The 911 looks better, has much better brake, steering, and shifting feel. I went to the 911 because i wanted to experience a porsche 911 rear engine dynamics and have a more performance based platform/chassis. Buying the 911 has shown me what a great job BMW had done with the M3. I love both cars and in the end went with the 911 because I have a daily driver and wanted a more challenging/rewarding driving experience.

I just hate people saying the m3 sucks because it is such a great car, and if these (most) people ran into an equally set-up M3 with equally experience driver, the m3 would pass them on track...

I should say I am making this comparison based on the MK1 996 C2 only. I have never driven a MK2 Carrera
Thanks again for the informative input. Still undecided. I'm listing the Porsche anyway and see if I can sell outright first. I drove a CTS-V today and although I'd never take that car to the track it was very impressive. Luxury and power were abundant, not so sure about the handling though as it did feel heavy. The M3 I was looking at just sold so my quest continues. If I came across a nice 6spd 996 I might stay with the p-car as I love the handling, but I'm not overly fond of the tiptronic. Thanks again to everyone for the input so far.
Old 09-03-2008, 07:37 PM
dallasboats
Pro

BS ON THIS ONE, I'VE NEVER BEEN PASSED ON HWY AND THEY FALL WAY BEHIND AFTER 100.......

M'S ARE GREAT FOR WHAT THEY ARE BUT FACE IT, THE 3 IS CHEAP NO MATTER HOW MANY CHERRIES YOU PUT ON TOP OF IT.....

hehe.
Old 09-03-2008, 08:30 PM
ruckmjr
Advanced

Well, I own two 911's and two M3's. Both are great cars and I love em both. But when push comes to shove, the 996 (in my opinion) is the better car...for me. I've tracked the M3 and it is hard to get it to turn. Feels heavy - but on the street, you might never know. The suspension is very tight - almost harsh, jarring. It is fast but I'd have a very hard time believing it is faster than a late model 911. A few more horses but has a couple of hundred pounds to pull. On the plus side for the M3 is that many don't know what it is. I get messed with much more in the 911's - more of a noticeable car. Good luck with what you decide. As I said, both are great cars!
Old 09-03-2008, 08:57 PM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

So the 911 looks better--and brakes, steers, and shifts better (what's left?), but the M3 wins because it has cupholders?

Drove an M3 once--felt like...a fancy 3-series, which is not to say a bad thing, but it's not to say like a Porsche, either.
Old 09-03-2008, 09:32 PM
deckman
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

The M3 sucks compared to the Porsche and you'd feel like a douchebag for switching. There. You're talked out of it.
Old 09-03-2008, 11:11 PM
911_993_997
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

If you REALLY REALLY REALLY need a bigger trunk & bigger back seats, & you'll die without those things, then I guess go for the M3.

But as fas as performance, beauty, appeal, feel you get driving it, chick-magnet, & everything else you can think of, we all know the Porsche wins hands down. This is the same decision I was trying to make a couple months ago, & decided to sacrifice trunk space & rear seat space for ALL the pros of the P-car. There really is no comparison. Also, now that I look at it, I like the smaller seats, it makes for a great excuse to not allow fat chicks in my car...

Plus, something that no one on here has mentioned yet but I notice everytime I pass an M3, is that honestly, have you seen the people that drive those cars? 99.99% of all M3 drivers are douche bags, enough said.
Old 09-03-2008, 11:25 PM
salayc
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I drove a CTS-V today...
Sell the Porsche.
Old 09-04-2008, 12:26 AM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Ask this on bimmerforums, and you'll get almost exactly the opposite response as it's a subjective question. I happen to think that both cars are great. As a fan of the the M3, let me give you some of the other side of this coin. It has a superior engine which is more responsive, makes a lot more power and torque. The M3's steering is quite communicative, much better weighed than the 911. The M3 absolutely has several areas where it bests the 911. The M3 is a lot more practical, it's probably safer (side and side curtain bags), has better headlights, etc. If you found an M3 without some of the options like power seats and sunroof, the weight is not too far off the 911 either. All that +better AC/stereo, quieter on the highway, and so on.

Quick Reply: Talk me out of it.. Considering trade for M3