Sponsored by:

Talk me out of it.. Considering trade for M3

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 12:38 PM
Serenity Now
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Talk me out of it.. Considering trade for M3

I have a Carrera 2, 1999, runs great, recent once-over by the mechanics gave no known issues at all. 102k miles

Considering a 2002 BMW M3 for roughly and even trade. BMW has 60k miles, 6 spd, loaded with options, runs great.

I'm really looking to trade because I prefer a 6spd over the tiptronic and I'd prefer a slightly more accomodating backseat. I also think I would feel a little less nervous about taking a long trip in a 60k M3 than in a 102k 1999 996? I may do a track day once per year but mainly this would be a 3rd car that will see some highway commutes and carpooling a few days a week.

Feel free to (politely) tell me why I should keep the porsche.....
Old 09-02-2008, 12:54 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

You seem sold and the M3 is a 6 speed, go for it.
BUT, you will be back!

Personally, higher miles do not scare me at all, Sold my 951 with 200K, car was always 100% reliable so thats a poor excuse, but if you need some more room and want a manual than why not.
Old 09-02-2008, 01:27 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 193 Posts

I have always wanted one of those...
Old 09-02-2008, 01:58 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Considering a 2002 BMW M3 for roughly and even trade. BMW has 60k miles, 6 spd, loaded with options, runs great.
I like the last generation M3 as well. I think the Porsche looks better, drives better, and has more appeal than the M3, but I would not be offended having to drive one. And the M3 backseats are a little better for a carpool.

Having been down this road, I found that the M3 is just a 3 series on steroids. I've had a 325, 330, and currently have a 335, and the M3 isn't any better on the in inside. It just goes faster (than the 325 and 330 anyway ).

As for the miles, I wouldn't even think twice about it. If it's your turn to break down, you will. Regardless of whether you have 102,000 miles or a brand new car with 2 miles.
-td
Old 09-02-2008, 02:06 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

I've said this and offended many here...but if I could only have either my 996 or my M3 I'd keep the M3. Best all around car I've ever owned. Isn't as much of a Drivers car as the 996 is which is why I love being lucky enough to own both, but a great car none the less.

One thing to consider. Make sure Inspection II has been done on the M3 in question. it's Right at the mileage where most cars require the second inspection which involves a pretty costly valve adjustment service (they're a solid lifter motor). The cheapest I found the valve adjustment by itself for was about $800. Ended up doing it myslef but if you've not done any work of the sort in the past I wouldn't suggest starting it out on the S54 motor.

Andy

p.s. Even without Ben around this will still be at least 5 pages.
Old 09-02-2008, 02:15 PM
Fissionx
Racer

I just traded in my '02 M3 for a '99 C2 . They are very similar, but do things very differently. The m3 is much more comfortable obviously, has a lot more power (power under the curve, not just peak HP).
The steering, shifting, braking doesn't feel nearly as good in the m3 as it does in the 911, i will say that. I love the balance of the M3, it's much more user friendly, and forgiving at the limit compared to the 911.
I encourage you to look at my m3. It has more miles than the one maybe you are looking at, but it is in really good shape (i do all the work myself, worked as a mechanic for several years). My car also doesn't have a sunroof, which is pretty rate.
http://raleigh.craigslist.org/cto/822083302.html
Old 09-02-2008, 02:24 PM
Serenity Now
Instructor

Originally Posted by Fissionx
I just traded in my '02 M3 for a '99 C2 . They are very similar, but do things very differently. The m3 is much more comfortable obviously, has a lot more power (power under the curve, not just peak HP).
The steering, shifting, braking doesn't feel nearly as good in the m3 as it does in the 911, i will say that. I love the balance of the M3, it's much more user friendly, and forgiving at the limit compared to the 911.
I encourage you to look at my m3. It has more miles than the one maybe you are looking at, but it is in really good shape (i do all the work myself, worked as a mechanic for several years). My car also doesn't have a sunroof, which is pretty rate.
http://raleigh.craigslist.org/cto/822083302.html
Thanks for the input. So you said you traded your 02 M3 for a 99 C2, does that mean you still have the M3 as the ad shows? If you were willing to work out a trade I might be persuaded, but I am admittingly lazy when it comes to selling the car and dealing with all the tire-kickers (especially on craigslist) so when a trade arose is when I became more interested. I've been selling motorcycles on craigslist occasionally and I'd estimate 1 out of 15 potential buyers are actually seriouc enough to even come look at the bike. The rest set up appointments then pull a no-show, or just want to send 20 emails back and forth without any serious intentions to buy.
Old 09-02-2008, 02:29 PM
befast
Instructor

Before I purchased my 01 C4, I also considered an M3. A big reason why I preferred the Porsche was because it has a very unique and *timeless* look. In my (humble) opinion, BMW's looks just don't age nearly as well.

However, you mention that would be trading from a tip to a manual. That, in itself, is huge! Without realizing, I don't think I became a "driver" until I learned standard with my current C4.
Old 09-02-2008, 02:29 PM
Serenity Now
Instructor

Originally Posted by AudiOn19s
I've said this and offended many here...but if I could only have either my 996 or my M3 I'd keep the M3. Best all around car I've ever owned. Isn't as much of a Drivers car as the 996 is which is why I love being lucky enough to own both, but a great car none the less.

One thing to consider. Make sure Inspection II has been done on the M3 in question. it's Right at the mileage where most cars require the second inspection which involves a pretty costly valve adjustment service (they're a solid lifter motor). The cheapest I found the valve adjustment by itself for was about $800. Ended up doing it myslef but if you've not done any work of the sort in the past I wouldn't suggest starting it out on the S54 motor.

Andy

p.s. Even without Ben around this will still be at least 5 pages.

The Inspection II has not been done, but after talking to the mechanics who looked up the items covered via Inspection II (they listed all items covered to me over the phone) it did not include a valve adjustment? It seems like I read somewhere that the coil packs should be replaced as well as the valve adjustment at the 60k service though? However I found this service description which matches the mechanics and has no mention of the valve adj or coil packs either... http://www.bimmerzone.com/inspection.htm

I also should add that if my 996 was a 6-spd I doubt I'd be considering the trade as heavily. Was considering a Cadillac CTS-V too, but I don't think resale would be as good and I'm not sure about the reliability of the CTS-V either.... too many choices.
Old 09-02-2008, 04:33 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Serenity Now
The Inspection II has not been done, but after talking to the mechanics who looked up the items covered via Inspection II (they listed all items covered to me over the phone) it did not include a valve adjustment? It seems like I read somewhere that the coil packs should be replaced as well as the valve adjustment at the 60k service though? However I found this service description which matches the mechanics and has no mention of the valve adj or coil packs either... http://www.bimmerzone.com/inspection.htm

I also should add that if my 996 was a 6-spd I doubt I'd be considering the trade as heavily. Was considering a Cadillac CTS-V too, but I don't think resale would be as good and I'm not sure about the reliability of the CTS-V either.... too many choices.
Coilpacks aren't necessary at Inspection II. All Inspections (non-oil change services) require that a valve inspection be done to check all of the clearances and the ones adjusted as needed. The price is basically all labor. If you're looking at a 60K mile car that hasn't had inspection II you should assume you're going to need the valves adjusted. I just did my inspection II on mine at 45K miles and it needed different shims in at least 1/2 of the vlaves.

Andy
Old 09-02-2008, 05:49 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

My next sedan will be either a Panamera or an M3 Sedan.... all depends on price of the former and availability of the latter at the time that I need to buy.
Old 09-02-2008, 07:39 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Wellardmac
My next sedan will be either a Panamera or an M3 Sedan.... all depends on price of the former and availability of the latter at the time that I need to buy.
My next sedan will probably be a Honda Accord Sedan.................. NOT!!!!!!!
Old 09-02-2008, 08:38 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by gota911
My next sedan will probably be a Honda Accord Sedan.................. NOT!!!!!!!
Yeah, well you can have my Acura - a nice car, but no soul. I'll pass it onto my wifey, then trade her car for one of the ones that I mentioned.... get one that's 2 years old and it will make for a good deal.
Old 09-03-2008, 01:38 AM
htny
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I saw a CTS-V for 22K on ebay (04)

found it : http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cars-Trucks___2004-CADILLAC-CTS-V-CTS-V-LS6-6-SPD-ROOF-NAV-BOSE-XENON_W0QQitemZ200247967806QQddnZCarsQ20Q26Q20TrucksQQddiZ2282QQcmdZView Item?hash=item200247967806&_trkparms=72%3A727|39%3A1|65%3A12|240%3A1308& _trksid=p4506.c0.m245

I don't think you will lose THAT much money. I'd compare insurance premiums on all options before pulling the trigger
Old 09-03-2008, 02:09 AM
Fissionx
Racer

Originally Posted by Serenity Now
Thanks for the input. So you said you traded your 02 M3 for a 99 C2, does that mean you still have the M3 as the ad shows? If you were willing to work out a trade I might be persuaded, but I am admittingly lazy when it comes to selling the car and dealing with all the tire-kickers (especially on craigslist) so when a trade arose is when I became more interested. I've been selling motorcycles on craigslist occasionally and I'd estimate 1 out of 15 potential buyers are actually seriouc enough to even come look at the bike. The rest set up appointments then pull a no-show, or just want to send 20 emails back and forth without any serious intentions to buy.
I have both cars right now. I am selling the M3. I already bought a 911 and i'm not looking for a trade. If you are looking for an m3 for sale which will only consider trades for a '99 911 with 100k miles, you aren't going to find anything worth buying IMO. So, many places you'd take the car to 'trade in' would give you about 8-10k less than NADA value on the car. I submit you can sell the car very easily pricing it 2-3k below NADA value.

There is a service notice for coil pack failures in the M3, in which all 6 coil packs are to be replaced (with updated coil pack) if a coil pack fails, and is free if the car is under CPO still, otherwise not free. My car has already had the coilpacks replaced.
Inspection 2 will run you about 1200-2000 bucks. Details found here...
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=672126

The sunroof adds 40lbs at the highest point of your car. Buying a car without a sunroof is ideal for many aspects of performance. I encourage you to test drive as many m3s as possible and see which feels the best to you.

Quick Reply: Talk me out of it.. Considering trade for M3