996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Aero Kit spoiler purchase from MA Shaw?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 03:05 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts
Default Aero Kit spoiler purchase from MA Shaw?

Has anyone out there bought a MK 1 aerokit spoiler (any any spoiler for that matter) from MAShaw?

As some of you might know, my aero kit purchase from DPS fell through this week because the spoiler and the paint were not as described. I'm now in the market for another spoiler.

I spoke with Mike Shaw on Wednesday and he seemed nice enough - very helpful, etc. He seemed to take great pride in making a high quality product. He claimed that his MK 1 aero spoiler was identical to the OEM one with the exception of the number of adjustable positions (he said his had one adjustable position vs. 2).

I dropped him a couple of emails with some follow-up questions to get clarifications and have not gotten a response. That worried me a little. When I first was shopping for the spoiler I dropped him an email to inquire about his wing and got no response. Here I am doing a follow-up and still not getting an email response from him.

Can anyone vouch for him and the quality of his wings? Are they of high quality? How good is he with communication? (his lack of response on email does not suggest so) Does he fix issues when they come up? What is his return policy? Any issues I should know about?
Old 08-16-2008, 03:30 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I bought my Mark II wing from Mike, It's getting installed now, when it arrived it seemed like an EXACT copy of the factory unit and included the wiring harness, it was already primed and ready for paint. My body shop says it looked great. I will let you know how it looks when I get my car back Monday.
Mike was a pleasure to deal with, very honest and shipped fast as promised and well as giving me a Rennlist price. It it fits well once on the car I cant say enough good things about Mike.
I always intended to use factory front bumper and skirts and Mike agreed that I would be happiest with a factory bumper. Nice guy.
Old 08-16-2008, 05:51 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Marc Gelefsky
I bought my Mark II wing from Mike, It's getting installed now, when it arrived it seemed like an EXACT copy of the factory unit and included the wiring harness, it was already primed and ready for paint. My body shop says it looked great. I will let you know how it looks when I get my car back Monday.
Mike was a pleasure to deal with, very honest and shipped fast as promised and well as giving me a Rennlist price. It it fits well once on the car I cant say enough good things about Mike.
I always intended to use factory front bumper and skirts and Mike agreed that I would be happiest with a factory bumper. Nice guy.
Thanks Marc. I wasn't sure if it was you that had recently bought from him, but I knew that someone around here had.

How responsive was he to emails? As I said, he's not responded to a single email yet - it's really odd. How did you deal with him, by phone? If you communicated with him by email I'd appreciate it if you could you PM me the address so that I can be sure that it's the same one that I used from his website.

Did you get info on him on return policies if you were not happy?

I want to buy from him, but I also need to get some answers to follow-up questions. I prefer to get these things in writing (in case something goes wrong), so email is the best avenue if I can do it that way.

Thanks!
Old 08-16-2008, 08:20 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

He answered a couple of emails, it was the same address on his website, I don't think he is all that Internet savvy. On the phone he was a pleasure to deal with and told me if the tail was not as represented he would take it back . fair enough. As soon as I get my ride back I will take some detailed pics. I did have to email him twice for a tracking number.

Last edited by Marc Gelefsky; 08-16-2008 at 08:39 PM.
Old 08-16-2008, 08:30 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

He answered a couple of emails, it was the same address on his website, I don't think he is all that Internet savvy. On the phone he was a pleasure to deal with and told me if the tail was not as represented he would take it back less. fair enough. As soon as I get my ride back I will take some detailed pics. I did have to email him twice for a tracking number.
Thanks. Okay, so I do have the correct email address, he just hasn't answered yet. I made it clear that I was ready to buy. Was he punctual in returning your emails? I sent my first email on Wednesday and another on Thursday.

I had the same experience on the phone - he was great and I loved talking to him. Sadly, the truest test of character is how someone responds when things are not going well, hence my question over the return policy. I want to be sure that he'll take the part back if it arrives damaged, or defective in some way.

My latest experience with DPS shows that in any purchase the return policy is your best friend if things go wrong.
Old 08-16-2008, 08:55 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

You shoud post on the 993 board, Thosee 996 hatin baastads do more business with MASHAW, I think
Old 08-16-2008, 09:02 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

You shoud post on the 993 board, Thosee 996 hatin baastads do more business with MASHAW, I think
...now that should be fun. I'll give it a try.
Old 08-16-2008, 09:06 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Wellardmac
...now that should be fun. I'll give it a try.

Oh, I will be watching that thread!
Old 08-16-2008, 09:08 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Oh, I will be watching that thread!
Done... we'll see what comes up.

I always get worried when I see communications issues with a vendor. I'd love to buy from him, but that is one red flag.
Old 08-16-2008, 09:10 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Wellardmac
Done... we'll see what comes up.

I always get worried when I see communications issues with a vendor. I'd love to buy from him, but that is one red flag.
Gotta say, I had nice phone conversations, he called me back, shipped when he said he would ship and product looks good and I am VERY **** retentive about my car. It had to REALLY look good!
Old 08-16-2008, 09:13 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Gotta say, I had nice phone conversations, he called me back, shipped when he said he would ship and product looks good and I am VERY **** retentive about my car. It had to REALLY look good!
Yeah, I'm the same, that's why I worry about quality.

I'll see if he responds on Monday and failing that I might try calling him again.
Old 08-16-2008, 11:26 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

The reviews from the 993 guys have been positive so far. They say that he's not an email guy and prefers the phone.

In searching the forums I've only found one horror story of poor fit and that came from a local guy that I've met - I've sent him a PM to find out more of the story. Additionally, I've PM'ed a couple of guys here that I think bought from him, so hopefully I'll have a good database of info by Monday.
Old 08-17-2008, 01:03 AM
dallasboats
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey big boy, buy the real deal....... you will be more disappointed than you think knowing it's not right...... do the right thing! Cheers!
Old 08-17-2008, 05:04 AM
996 MBA CFA
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm actually thinking about buying the MKII spoiler also and I'm glad to hear that its fitting well. I was worried. Maybe we should see if we can get a deal on two spoilers, one for you and one for me from MaShaw. PM me if you haven't purchased already.
Old 08-17-2008, 10:56 AM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by dallasboats
Hey big boy, buy the real deal....... you will be more disappointed than you think knowing it's not right...... do the right thing! Cheers!

Well, he's the problem. I cannot bring myself to spend $4700 (ex. Sunset) on an OEM wing for a car this age. It's just not a sensible thing to do.

Porsche artificially jacks up the price to force people to buy the entire kit for an extra $1K. I already have most of the kit and only need the spoiler. When I bought the bumper and side skirts I wasn't prepared to spend $6K for parts and I'm certainly not prepared to pay $5K for the spoiler now.

Everything I'm hearing is that the quality of the wings is good and indistinguishable from the OEM, so that works (and is important) for me. I don't want a cheap looking part, but I also don't want to spend hyper-inflated prices just because of Porsches whacked pricing policies where they're trying to sell an entire kit.

Quick Reply: Aero Kit spoiler purchase from MA Shaw?