Sponsored by:

Aero Kit spoiler purchase from MA Shaw?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 11:00 AM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by 996 MBA CFA
I'm actually thinking about buying the MKII spoiler also and I'm glad to hear that its fitting well. I was worried. Maybe we should see if we can get a deal on two spoilers, one for you and one for me from MaShaw. PM me if you haven't purchased already.
I have not purchased yet, but to be honest, would not want to complicate a deal by buying multiple parts.

Please understand that I've just had to go to the hassle of sending one wing back because it was not what I wanted, I don't really want to get into the hassles of purchasing for multiple people and risk having to deal with more hassles like that.

Cost is not really the issue (well beyond not wanting to pay $4700 for OEM), I care more about quality. I want something that looks like OEM without paying OEM prices.
Old 08-17-2008, 11:46 AM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Wellardmac
Well, he's the problem. I cannot bring myself to spend $4700 (ex. Sunset) on an OEM wing for a car this age. It's just not a sensible thing to do.

Porsche artificially jacks up the price to force people to buy the entire kit for an extra $1K. I already have most of the kit and only need the spoiler. When I bought the bumper and side skirts I wasn't prepared to spend $6K for parts and I'm certainly not prepared to pay $5K for the spoiler now.

Everything I'm hearing is that the quality of the wings is good and indistinguishable from the OEM, so that works (and is important) for me. I don't want a cheap looking part, but I also don't want to spend hyper-inflated prices just because of Porsches whacked pricing policies where they're trying to sell an entire kit.
I with you on this: Factory GT3 bumper - $1370- No prob! Factory -side skirts - $699 - No prob-- Factory wing $3300 - Get the eff outta here!
Old 08-17-2008, 11:55 AM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Marc Gelefsky
I with you on this: Factory GT3 bumper - $1370- No prob! Factory -side skirts - $699 - No prob-- Factory wing $3300 - Get the eff outta here!
It's outrageous and uncalled for.

So where did you find $3300 for the wing? Sunset's price of $4700 seemed pretty typical in my searches.
Old 08-17-2008, 11:59 AM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Oh, I will be watching that thread!
we'll looks like your prediction was fairly close. Some were helpful, others didn't like me probing to get a realistic assessment. Mixed bag, but still helpful.

Overall, it looks like the feedback is positive and mike would probably do the right thing if there was an issue with the wing. I'll try to call him this week to get answers to the rest of my questions.

The biggest help was knowing that you're probably as picky as I am and you didn't have any issues.
Old 08-17-2008, 01:11 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

It's outrageous and uncalled for.

So where did you find $3300 for the wing? Sunset's price of $4700 seemed pretty typical in my searches.
Sunset, and my local dealer matches the prices, suncoast had it for 3600. I guess the Mark II (Ironing board) is cheaper than the Taco wing
Old 08-17-2008, 01:25 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

we'll looks like your prediction was fairly close. Some were helpful, others didn't like me probing to get a realistic assessment. Mixed bag, but still helpful.

Overall, it looks like the feedback is positive and mike would probably do the right thing if there was an issue with the wing. I'll try to call him this week to get answers to the rest of my questions.

The biggest help was knowing that you're probably as picky as I am and you didn't have any issues.

I would agree with one thing the 993'ers said, Mike is clearly not an email guy, In my 20 years as an IT Professional I have seen many people who just do not do email well. But I agree with your point that if you do business on the Internet and post an email address than you should be responsive..

All that said, dealing with Mike I got that "warm and fuzzy" feeling for him as a vendor and thus far I am pleased, also Mike is a Rennlist vendor and had been involved with Rennlist for a long time.
I wish I had taken some pics of the spoiler before I gave it to the shop

Interesting about your dealings with DPS, Seems like they are a shop that does indeed make mistakes but for me Dayton stood behind his product.
I bought a used set of Sport designs from him and there were a few "not as advertised issues" and he made it right and made me a happy customer. With his return policy I would buy from him again (just not a rear wing! )
Old 08-17-2008, 03:16 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

I would agree with one thing the 993'ers said, Mike is clearly not an email guy, In my 20 years as an IT Professional I have seen many people who just do not do email well. But I agree with your point that if you do business on the Internet and post an email address than you should be responsive..

All that said, dealing with Mike I got that "warm and fuzzy" feeling for him as a vendor and thus far I am pleased, also Mike is a Rennlist vendor and had been involved with Rennlist for a long time.
I wish I had taken some pics of the spoiler before I gave it to the shop

Interesting about your dealings with DPS, Seems like they are a shop that does indeed make mistakes but for me Dayton stood behind his product.
I bought a used set of Sport designs from him and there were a few "not as advertised issues" and he made it right and made me a happy customer. With his return policy I would buy from him again (just not a rear wing! )

I think you nailed it pretty well. I know that I was happy with my conversation with Mike last week, so I think I'd be safe there. So far I haven't seen any red flags that would stop me from buying from him.

Interesting about the price difference between a MK1 and MK 2 week... I didn't expect that.

As for Dayton - he has treated me very well and would buy from him again. I was very happy with my last purchase from him and would have been happy with this one if all had been described. I probably would not buy painted parts from him again, but I'd have no hesitation buying anything else.

Interesting thing to come out of this is that I got a PM offering an OEM wing, so we'll see how that goes. It would be nice to just repaint an OEM to the right color.
Old 08-18-2008, 10:55 AM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

Damn.... $3300 for just the taco wing. Maybe our 996 will go up in value after all... hahahaha. GL Wayne.
Old 08-18-2008, 12:00 PM
Dominick
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wellard

I finally made it over to the body shop today to see my DPS aero kit. Long story short, Dayton only sent the skirts. No sign of the Front bumper and the rear deck.

Old 08-18-2008, 01:51 PM
SMR996
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wellard,

I bought all my MK1 aero pieces from Mike... fortunately he's only 10 minutes from where I work...

After spending several months looking for an OEM rear spoiler with no luck I went aftermaket . After seeing many of MA Shaw's wings, skirts, etc. on other cars here locally I went with MA Shaw....

First of all call him.... he's extremely friendly and helpful but busy.... I usually had to leave messages for him but he was always prompt in returning them.... He even delivered to my office the plastic inserts/screws for mounting the chin spoiler (they were omitted from delivery for some reason).

Second, the quality of the rear wing is very good.... The wing is primer coated when you get it which saves your body shop some work. One thing to note however, the method for shimming the wing is different than the OEM wing. You won't be able to use the OEM shims to alter the degree on your wing... I have not altered mine so it has not been a problem... but talk to Mike and have him explain the process to you.. Its not that big a deal to me, but it might be for you..... IMHO once the wing is painted and on your car you wont be able to tell the difference from the MA Shaw wing and an OEM wing.

Lastly, If I had to do all over again I would use Mike without hesitation.....

Gratuitous pic of the car with the MK1 aero kit completed attached....

Cheers....
Attached Images  
Old 08-18-2008, 02:41 PM
Dominick
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SMR996
Wellard,

Cheers....
Great - Rub it in

Your car is beautiful
Old 08-18-2008, 07:12 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by redridge
Damn.... $3300 for just the taco wing. Maybe our 996 will go up in value after all... hahahaha. GL Wayne.
Actually, no, it was $4700 from Sunset Porsche. The Mk II wing is $3300.

Originally Posted by Dominick
Wellard

I finally made it over to the body shop today to see my DPS aero kit. Long story short, Dayton only sent the skirts. No sign of the Front bumper and the rear deck.

Ouch! Not sure I'd be happy with that one. Sorry to hear that you didn't get the full delivery.

Originally Posted by SMR996
Wellard,

I bought all my MK1 aero pieces from Mike... fortunately he's only 10 minutes from where I work...

After spending several months looking for an OEM rear spoiler with no luck I went aftermaket . After seeing many of MA Shaw's wings, skirts, etc. on other cars here locally I went with MA Shaw....

First of all call him.... he's extremely friendly and helpful but busy.... I usually had to leave messages for him but he was always prompt in returning them.... He even delivered to my office the plastic inserts/screws for mounting the chin spoiler (they were omitted from delivery for some reason).

Second, the quality of the rear wing is very good.... The wing is primer coated when you get it which saves your body shop some work. One thing to note however, the method for shimming the wing is different than the OEM wing. You won't be able to use the OEM shims to alter the degree on your wing... I have not altered mine so it has not been a problem... but talk to Mike and have him explain the process to you.. Its not that big a deal to me, but it might be for you..... IMHO once the wing is painted and on your car you wont be able to tell the difference from the MA Shaw wing and an OEM wing.

Lastly, If I had to do all over again I would use Mike without hesitation.....

Cheers....

Thanks! This is great feedback. Always good to know that Mike comes with a recommendation!

Thanks for all your help!
Old 08-18-2008, 07:25 PM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

FWIW - Mike Shaw is good people. I know many folks form the BMW and Porsche crowds that love his work. I'd say, give it a shot.

C.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:42 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Well, here is my MASHAW wing and I must say I am VERY pleased with it! Missing the covers for the bolts but I am sure Mike will send me those. Quality and feel is very good, Fit is very good! Might still need a minor adjustment but thats ok.

Old 08-18-2008, 10:09 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Looks awesome Marc!

..hopefully sometime in the next few weeks I'll have photos to post.

Quick Reply: Aero Kit spoiler purchase from MA Shaw?