Sponsored by:

Gumball 3000 Rally

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 06:21 PM
Vifa
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Thundertub
I just happen to currently be reading The Driver, by Roy Alexander (on the bookshelves at Barnes & Noble). He chronicals the life of the regular rally folks who attend these events over and over, as he seeks to find the mastermind and creator of original outlaw high speed run filmed in the short Rendezvous. Fun reading, actually. Lots of fun stuff about the Gumball Rallies through 2006, and then history of the legends of this "sport" going back to the first Cannonball Baker Sea to Shining Sea Memorial Trophy Dash created in the early 70's by Brock Yates.
Was just about to say the same thing. The Cannonball movie from the 80s was created on the real Cannonball run in the 70s. Could have been great to attend one of these at the time!
Old 08-12-2008, 07:12 PM
ArneeA
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Zoolander
DanJk- You speak the truth. My father and I seriously considered running in one. After meeting some of the participants and the organizers and realizing their level of responsibility we decided not to. The event should have been banned after the recent deaths.

http://www.gumball3000blog.com/2007/...-jet/#more-341
These people probably expect "entitlement" due to their net worth. Unfortunately, accidents, deaths and vehicular manslaughter seem like they're part of their "entitlement."
Old 08-25-2008, 01:06 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default 997TT driver kills couple in VW Golf

Originally Posted by DanJK
"As for the poor people who died, I am sorry....however people die in car related accidents with or without this race..
I feel sorry for them, I am not heartless, its just a fact.
Ed"
Serious? You my friend are an idiot.
Originally Posted by Zoolander
DanJk- You speak the truth. My father and I seriously considered running in one. After meeting some of the participants and the organizers and realizing their level of responsibility we decided not to. The event should have been banned after the recent deaths.http://www.gumball3000blog.com/2007/...-jet/#more-341
Highlights from Zoolander's link, 997TT Gumball crash driver tried to flee in private jet:

"The British Gumball Rally 3000 driver arrested in Macedonia over a fatal car crash was caught trying to flee the country in a private jet
Nick Morley, 30, ... is facing possible criminal action after a high-speed collision that killed a local couple
The brother of a wealthy property developer, Morley was behind the wheel of a Porsche 911 when it collided with a Volkswagen Golf ..., killing the driver Vladimir Chepunjoski, 67, and his wife Margarita.
Morley, from Bowden, Cheshire, and co-driver Matthew McConville, 36, from Prestwich, Greater Manchester, are alleged to have left the scene
Border guards stopped them shortly afterwards, however, as they tried to cross into Albania in another contestant’s car.
Mr Chepunjoski died on the way to hospital from severe head injuries, while his wife died on Friday night in Skopje.

"24 hours after the Porsche accident, the Gumball 3000 Organisation has decided to cancell the rally for the remaining part. Another two cars have been crashed, this time in Montenegro.
The red Ford GT, because of high speeds and bad weather and another Porsche GT was also wrecked. This Ford GT was involved in an accident with the Porsche Carrera GT."
Old 08-25-2008, 01:59 PM
IrocMan
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I love sport cars and car racing.
But idiots who consider that open roads -especially not hiways- are a track should finish in jail.

IMHO.
Old 08-25-2008, 05:58 PM
Zoolander
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Curve- Nice addition.

IrocMan- Yes, putting innocent people at risk on public roads is just plain wrong. The One Lap of America though is very well run. All drivers must have a racing license and all high speed events are at closed circuits and track like venues. Mr. Brock Yates even alerts law enforcement to the routes that participants take on public roads.
Old 08-25-2008, 09:39 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Robin,

What if they let you race for free, but you had to paint the Ferrari bright pink?

Last edited by Riad; 08-25-2008 at 10:39 PM.
Old 08-25-2008, 10:29 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Riad,

I was offered the US leg for only $15k, I would love to do it just for the experience. But I just don't have the time to spare do it right now, that's life with a 2.5 years old and a 4 month old..... Maybe later on in my life.

Not so much about driving insanely above the speed limit, but just for the experience as another tale to tell later in life.
Old 08-25-2008, 10:39 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Robin 993DX
Riad,

I was offered the US leg for only $15k, I would love to do it just for the experience. But I just don't have the time to spare do it right now, that's life with a 2.5 years old and a 4 month old..... Maybe later on in my life.

Not so much about driving insanely above the speed limit, but just for the experience as another tale to tell later in life.
Yes, I hear you Robin.

I have a 6 year old, and your priorities do indeed change.
Old 08-26-2008, 02:22 AM
IrocMan
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Robin
Mine are almost 6 and 3 and I stopped racing 5 years ago.

You can still rent a race car ( I used to work for one of these companies) for $20K and be a serious competitor on just one pro-am race if you know how to handle a wheel.

I think more and more of this. I don't want to burn my week-ends for hobby cars like I used to, I want to spend them with my kids and my wife, but I must admit that a little 6 hours would be exciting
Old 08-26-2008, 09:35 AM
Porx
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lol at dan.... yeah would be so much more fun on a track if they could drive, however world wide road trip with a convoy of porsche drivers for a childrens charity is not such a bad idea.... may be we should arrange ... have a global rennlist charity meet ?

Quick Reply: Gumball 3000 Rally