996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

SharkWerks Single Mass Light Weight Flywheel Demo Video

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 08:13 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

PMNA. No link as you need to order directly. Just a warning, they are not cheap.
Old 08-27-2008, 12:19 AM
TTJunkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They are not expensive either. GMG has a high horsepower, chatter free lightweight flywheel/clutch kit (developed with Sachs). Check out www.gmgracing.com. They put Sharkwerks to shame.
The kit is $2700 and includes:
lightweight flywheel (13 pound billet aluminum)
sport pressure plate (up to 700 hp)
spring loaded disc (GMG proprietary no-chatter!)
and all hardware.
Old 08-27-2008, 01:31 AM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by denishartigan
Does anyone know off-hand what a stock dual-mass FW weighs on a 996?
28.2 pounds on the 996 for a stocker.
Old 08-27-2008, 01:49 AM
StuartFirm
Instructor

Originally Posted by chsu74
does it chatter?
Ever heard a World Challenge GT3 sequential shift gearbox?????? Well, it isn't quite that noisy, but . . . . . . No, j/k. Come on guys, for anyone seriously considering a lwfw and interested in actually using the increased performance provided by one, are you really gonna ask/worry about a little chatter from the lwfw????

If your serious, you will actually think it's kinda cool, the wife will hate it and your friends will just look at you and shake their head while mumbling something about, "Hell, if you paid that much for that freaking car, you'd think it would be a little more quiet and civilized." You on the other hand will just listen and SMILE ear to ear.
Old 08-27-2008, 01:52 AM
StuartFirm
Instructor

Originally Posted by chsu74
does it chatter?
Originally Posted by TTJunkie
They are not expensive either. GMG has a high horsepower, chatter free lightweight flywheel/clutch kit (developed with Sachs). Check out www.gmgracing.com. They put Sharkwerks to shame.
The kit is $2700 and includes:
lightweight flywheel (13 pound billet aluminum)
sport pressure plate (up to 700 hp)
spring loaded disc (GMG proprietary no-chatter!)
and all hardware.
All true, I do have GMG's lwfw, love it and have no chatter at all, but TTJunkie, IMO, I think it might be a little bit in poor taste to hi-jack Sharkwerks thread with such talk.
Old 08-27-2008, 02:09 AM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by StuartFirm
All true, I do have GMG's lwfw, love it and have no chatter at all, but TTJunkie, IMO, I think it might be a little bit in poor taste to hi-jack Sharkwerks thread with such talk.
Oh absolutely that's a good option too and one we and several others use/sell/install although it does require changing the PP, clutch disc etc... so this aasco based flywheel (which we all pretty much use in the industry) is a good solution for just a flywheel change (which GMG also sells I can see from the pix). Although the 700hp ones are for the TT and start with the Sachs 999 PP and so forth. On the TT's the hydraulic assist actually makes it a bit tricky to engage in 1st gear and they're quite loud (chattery if you will). I'm with you in terms of the noise when sitting at a light in neutral. It's not something that bugs me much in the Cayman, RS (stock) or any modern P-car but it's still not for everyone. Certainly worth checking out in person first to see if the noise is acceptable or not. We all have different wife-o-meters...
Old 08-27-2008, 02:19 AM
StuartFirm
Instructor

Yep, Alex has it right on all counts. Especially, that wife-o-meter part. But, I've found that (well, back when I had one of those things) if you had enough power you could accelerate faster than the words could leave her mouth (think traveling at the speed of light, then turning on your headlights to see if they shine in front of you) and all you could hear at that point was the sound of the car's exhaust and the little devil sitting on your left shoulder giggling, "faster . . . faster . . . make it go faster."
Old 08-27-2008, 02:36 AM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by StuartFirm
Yep, Alex has it right on all counts. Especially, that wife-o-meter part. But, I've found that (well, back when I had one of those things) if you had enough power you could accelerate faster than the words could leave her mouth (think traveling at the speed of light, then turning on your headlights to see if they shine in front of you) and all you could hear at that point was the sound of the car's exhaust and the little devil sitting on your left shoulder giggling, "faster . . . faster . . . make it go faster."
LOL I think my wife gives me "the eye" and I know I have to give in... I do tell her that I can't "lug" the car and I need to keep the revs up as it's better for the transmission but "they eye" only comes back. The LWF stuff works a lot better on the NA cars than the hyrdualic assisted TTs. On the higher HP clutches with a more "racing" style engagement so many folks end up stalling so we generally don't do them on TTs.... Of all the cars I have it on the stock RS flywheel on the GT3RS is the loudest in terms of transmission noise and in some ways I can understand why Porsche decided to use the dual mass in the regular GT3s. They'd have too many complaints....

Quick Reply: SharkWerks Single Mass Light Weight Flywheel Demo Video