996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Dumbest pull-over ever !!

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2008 | 06:41 PM
Rivarama
Advanced

Default Dumbest pull-over ever !!

Seriously guys, this is my 3week as a P-car owner, and I have been pulled over 4 times already. None of them because of speed... I was randomly "picked" and tested for alcohol and all.

The dumbest has to be last night as I was driving to a movie, a bored cop pulled me over and told me I was driving too fast - I was literally driving 35mph as I had seen him from far away.
So I tell the guy that I was driving 35mph, in a 35mph area. Then this dumb F*** has the guts to reply "may be but there are ppl on the side walks and 35mph is too fast for a Friday night, this is reckless driving!!" - at this point I was 100% positive I could say anything and he would not care as he just wanted to show me how powerful of a city cop he was.
The funniest thing is when he tells me that my car makes "unecessary noise". I am like: pal this is a porsche, not a prius so give me brake...
anyway--- 20min later the guy hands out a citation and tells me that he will take me to jail next time he catches me driving so fast....

whatever... 35mph in a 35mph zone doesn't qualify as a violation in my books.

Hey city cops, I have a word for you - How about you guys go chase real gangsters, while I am recklessly driving within the speedlimit !!
Old 08-02-2008 | 06:56 PM
Meister Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Pulled over 4 times in 3 weeks?

Something's fishy here, what did he give you a citation for?
Unsafe speed for conditions or something? There are times when the posted speed limit may not be safe.

- Either you're being racially or otherwise profiled, of course I don't know your ethnicity.
- Or you're just cruising the boulevards 24/7 and the cops sense something fishy, which is part of their job description.

imho, I think you need some more perspective from Boston locals on your situation....
Old 08-02-2008 | 06:56 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

...okay. I guess you have to go to court to get rid of that one. Nice.
Old 08-02-2008 | 06:58 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Meister Fahrer
Pulled over 4 times in 3 weeks?

Something's fishy here, what did he give you a citation for?
Unsafe speed for conditions or something? There are times when the posted speed limit may not be safe.

- Either you're being racially or otherwise profiled, of course I don't know your ethnicity.
- Or you're just cruising the boulevards 24/7 and the cops sense something fishy, which is part of their job description.

imho, I think you need some more perspective from Boston locals on your situation....
I agree that there's something odd going on here. The OP has been pulled over more times in 3 weeks than I've been pulled over in my life.

Funny thing is that in my experience Boston police and MA state police are not usually jerks like this (I used to live in MA), so I'm confused as to what's going on.
Old 08-02-2008 | 07:02 PM
Rivarama
Advanced

Actually, the first 3 were in NYC. That was the first one in Boston - btw what does a citation do? How long does it stay on my record?
The other thing is that the guy told me I was not allowed to drive with my IL driving license, although when I registered my car 2 weeks ago, the lady at the counter told me I could drive for 30days with my IL license. If you ask me, I am really starting to see red with all this BS
Old 08-02-2008 | 07:04 PM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

how can you get a ticket for driving 35 in a 35 zone?? doesn't even sound logical!!
How are you going to defend this in court?? and this cop should get fired for stupidity but then again about 99% of all cops should!
Old 08-02-2008 | 07:08 PM
Rivarama
Advanced

The guy just gave me a warning, but it's on a Citation ticket... makes no sense - the cop told me I should have driven 20mph due to the fact that there were ppl on the side walk...

I still don't get that - ppl walk on the sidewalk all the time - isn't what happens in a city??

Bottom line, is that I have to pay nothing, I don't think any points have been withdrawn from my license, but I just don't want any record on file for somthing like that... what should I do?
Old 08-02-2008 | 08:13 PM
sparks259
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

call the borough prosecuto for a clarification and the consequences.
after you get off the hook, a letter to the chief might be in order.
Old 08-02-2008 | 10:08 PM
djantlive
Drifting

I'd write a nice letter to the mayer and police chief and .cc the DA. This level of harrassment should not be tolerated.

If your car is non stock (esp exhaust), be careful as this guy may come after you again.
Old 08-02-2008 | 11:12 PM
trackjunky
Rennlist Member

I had a similar situation when I lived in Dallas. The cop got my wife and me each. Her 3 times, me 4 times.

Each time I called the DA and I had to go in to fight the ticket. I told the DA I was being targeted because I had out of state plates. The DA told me to change my plates. I informed the DA that my car was owned by the company I worked for and registered in the state where they were based. The DA told me to either get another job or get used to paying fines.

We finally moved. Don't even begin to reason with me about cops with poor attitudes.
Old 08-03-2008 | 08:42 AM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Well, I was pulled over for something like that once. The ticket was for "speed greater than reasonable". According to the lawyer I had at that time, that is usually used when someone is doing the speed limit during a blizzard or rain storm, but in your case he makes it sound like you were driving 35 through a crowd of people. Mine was thrown out of court. It was a really clear, cold night being on my knees at midnight on that back road.
Old 08-03-2008 | 08:46 AM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

It's just a warning, there should be no fine, points, nor record on your license.

Originally Posted by Rivarama
The guy just gave me a warning, but it's on a Citation ticket... makes no sense - the cop told me I should have driven 20mph due to the fact that there were ppl on the side walk...

I still don't get that - ppl walk on the sidewalk all the time - isn't what happens in a city??

Bottom line, is that I have to pay nothing, I don't think any points have been withdrawn from my license, but I just don't want any record on file for somthing like that... what should I do?
Old 08-03-2008 | 09:05 AM
Gaspasser19
Rennlist Member

In my experience, the frequency with which you will be pulled over and the result of that exchange depends entirely on the way you conduct yourself. For example, I lived in Boston for awhile back in the 80's. I drove a Vette with a flashy white/red paint job the entire time. Loud aftermarket dual exhaust and license plate that read IXLR8 (I accelerate). I was in my late teens, early 20's at the time. You could certainly characterize my driving style as "spirited." With all these factors seemingly against me I was only pulled over 1 time in seven years. Why? because I drive with the goal of avoiding drawing the eire of the local police.
The one time I was pulled over was the result of a hole shot out of a red light on a dark night. (Something I would not normally do but my friend was egging me on from the passenger seat.) I had just hit 3rd gear when I saw the reflective vest of the MDC cop doing the speed trap. Totally busted. Rule #1-if you can't see a potential speed trap don't hammer the gas! The MDC police in Boston have a real bad reputation for traffic enforcement. He actually got me out of the car and started yelling at me like he was my father. I was extremely apologetic and respectful(lots of "sorry sir" and "yes sir") and he let me go with a verbal warning. My friend was so pissed off at my good fortune he almost got out of the car to argue with the cop for letting me go.

Long story but the point is, attitude is everything!
Old 08-03-2008 | 09:41 AM
C4CRNA
Three Wheelin'

Massachusetts likes to enforce the out of state plate rules because a lot of people with second homes in FLA and NH use those plates to avoid the heavy excise and sales taxes. Changing to a MA plate may help you. I'd talk to the Chief personally about that "citation"
Also look on the back of your registration for some pencil marks they use to alert the next officer you have been stpped before.
Old 08-03-2008 | 02:59 PM
htny
Three Wheelin'

I'm also thinking it's your plates.

Quick Reply: Dumbest pull-over ever !!