996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Dumbest pull-over ever !!

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 04:06 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

What do your plates say? Any bumper stickers? There has to be something more to it than meets the eye. Other than that, if not the case, then you have one string of crappy luck!
Old 08-03-2008, 05:51 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There's got to be more to this story than has been said....something is drawng attention to you...like a sunflower in a wheatfield....that's more times than I've been pulled over in 10 years....and I'm a spirited driver.
Old 08-03-2008, 07:50 PM
omnipresent
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

maybe that Bob Marley sticker isn't such a good idea?
Old 08-03-2008, 08:32 PM
dresler
Burning Brakes

Was in Boston proper, or a suburb? Lexington? Newton?

Maybe the Yankees sticker isn't such a good idea.
Old 08-04-2008, 12:58 AM
jury_ca
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

First gear at 35 mph to draw attention?
Old 08-04-2008, 01:11 AM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

I was once ticketed for dropping off my kid in front of his school (stopping, kid jumps out and driving off) there was a parking police woman standing across the street writing down license plate numbers on a yellow legal pad ( and thought it had something to do with child safety or checking for registered sexc offenders or something like that).... the ticket said that I PARKED at 9.45AM in a NO parking zone...first off it was 8.20AM (school started at 8.30AM)and 2nd I NEVER parked there, but stopped for 4 sec's....she probably wrote all license plates...over 200!!! on her legal pad and later started writing tickets.....HOW RETARDED CAN YOU BE!!!

I got a $50 ticket..went to the police station and filled out a complaints.... response to the complaint was that I HAD to pay.....

SO I emailed the chief of police ( in huntington beach 200K population..so not small town with horse and carriage)..... I was very polite and asked him what was next?? getting pulled out of bed in the middle of the night for something I did not do??

He responded very quickly by telling me that this was a training error and that the people involved were reprimanded and I didn't have to pay my ticket.

What I would like to know is: how many people complained? Because they wrote a lot of tickets that morning!!
Old 08-04-2008, 02:37 AM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck Jones
There's got to be more to this story than has been said....something is drawng attention to you...like a sunflower in a wheatfield....that's more times than I've been pulled over in 10 years....and I'm a spirited driver.
+1

Something does not add up here. Either this post is total B.S. or there is more to this story than we are being told.
Old 08-04-2008, 02:47 AM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

Rivarama, first let me welcome you to the Porsche and Rennlist community. There is a great group of guys (and girls) here, from all walks of life. Congratulations on your beautiful, new (to you) C4S.

I'm a cop. The first 1/3 of my carreer was spent in a big city..LA.
You have posted 12 threads since you joined here...three of them dealt with cops and law enforcement. Your first post was titled,"speeding ticket saver, please help". You posted another, dealing with being harassed by "jealous" cops because of your car. This post is titled, "dumbest pull-over ever".

You are young and you drive a very nice car. After looking at pictures of your car, I did not see anything that would attract my attention (just based on the vehicle). Where you are driving, when you are driving (after clubs let out?), and how you are driving, are more likely to be the cause of you attracting unwanted police attention.
You made comments in your posts indicating that you probably have a pretty negative attitude toward cops. You think they are jealous of your Porsche. You also indicated that they might think you have deep pockets since you drive a Porsche, thus they are more inclined to cite you.
Big city cops make great money...if they don't have too many ex-wives to send money to, they can probably afford about any Porsche that they want. A large number of cops are gearheads because we get payed to drive fast, and most of us are adrenalin junkies. If they appeared jealous of you, it was probably the hot girlfriend sitting next to you, not your car.
If you have a negative attitude toward cops and you convey that to the officer that is stopping you, it will not improve your situation. I have always considered my function as a street cop is to try finding serious criminals to take to jail so I can make the area I work safer for the decent law-abiding residents. When I stop someone that appears to be a normal person, versus a drug addict or parolee, I try to treat them the same way that I would want my family to be treated. The more cars that I stop, the more likely I am to find the dope dealer, thief, rapist, or murderer that I am looking for. The state vehicle codes provide me with the ability to stop cars and contact the occupants.
I have trained with guys from Boston PD and New York City PD (I'm a full time patrol K9 Handler and a part time Bomb Technician). Both departments have some great guys. They have fantastic training and they work a busy, violent area. They are the type of guys that I enjoy working with, rather than someone from a small podunk department. If you encounter an officer and treat him or her respectfully, most of them will return your courtesy. The ones that are jacka@@es are the exceptions, rather than the rule. Good Luck.

Last edited by Mfletch; 08-04-2008 at 04:39 AM.
Old 08-04-2008, 02:59 AM
ArneeA
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good post, Mark.
Old 08-04-2008, 06:59 AM
C4CRNA
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Mark : I Agree+1
Old 08-04-2008, 09:24 AM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 102 Posts

Something is odd. I've lived in Boston for the past two years and have never been pulled over. The first year I was here I kept my out of state plates. Were you trying to drive 35 mph through the crowds at Fenway or something?
Old 08-04-2008, 10:11 AM
MikeZ
Instructor

Yea Mark, needed to ve said!!!!!!!!
Old 08-04-2008, 11:52 AM
Idocdes
Rennlist Member

I certainly agree that "most" po are not looking to create problems. However, I was pulled over one month after having my car serviced and inspected. The cop comes over with a real chip on his shoulder; the typical, do you know why I pulled you over...I was clueless. In short the dealer had not replaced my inspection sticker, giving the officer every right to pull me over. His next line was, "if you could afford the car, then you can afford the inspection". Are you kidding me. I have heard more stories concerning officers with condescending attitudes than I care to discuss. While the uniform does demand respect, perhaps a slightly lighter attitude toward those hardened criminals doing 35 in a 35mph zone, or not coming to a complete stop, might increase the po to citizen relationship. I think many officers should treat the public with the same respect they would want their families treated.
Old 08-04-2008, 12:11 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Mark: First of all...good to see you back on the forum...have you been on sabatical? Secondly, good post. Thirdly, there are always going to be those horror stories of some injustice encountered by some person at some time. Like Mark said, every profession has it's own particular flavor of a$$hole...I dont' care if it's a computer programmer, MIT graduate, doctor, or checkout person in a grocery store. We also all have bad days when we dont' present our best foot forward. That's not an excuse for a bad attitude, but more of a statement that we've all had those days. If they become routine, then there's a problem at the source.

Law enforcement spends a lot of time, money, and training in trying to get the officers to present the right attitude to the public. Some agencies are more PR oriented than others....but for the most part, the majority of the thousands of cops out there on the streets are trying to do the right thing. Traffic enforcement is probably where most of you will interact with the cops because of the sheer number of cars and the need for some law enforcement presence to keep folks from running red lights, speeding, or endangering others by erratic driving. The sheer number of cars and traffic enforcement cops out there bring the two together more frequently, thereby giving more opportunity for "events"....and most contact will be perceived by the driver as being unwarranted, unfair, unnecessary, and unsavory.

I think we've all pushed the envelope more than once, and sometimes wonder how we've managed to stay below the radar (figureatively and literally) for as long as we have. So if and when you get nailed, the immediate reaction is one of anger or being upset....upset over getting caught in the first place, and then highly critical of anything said or done by the officer as he/she walks up to give you that little yellow slip of paper that ruins your whole day. I would imagine that the person being stopped is highly focused, incensed, and is hanging on every word, body language and innuendo. Sure, there are going to be those times where you truly feel, and rightfully so, that you were not doing what was stated....or that whatever it was wasn't exactly as presented....but repeat offenders and folks who get nailed time after time after time are doing something that goes beyond the "no fairzees".....and in those instances you have to take a hard look at the source of the reasons for all those contacts.
Old 08-04-2008, 12:44 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd say "many" aren't looking to create problems not "most" but this is just based on my experience with family, friends and neighbors who are local law enforcement. The candid conversations heard now are certainly different from the ones I heard growing up as a child.

Originally Posted by Idocdes
I certainly agree that "most" po are not looking to create problems. However, I was pulled over one month after having my car serviced and inspected. The cop comes over with a real chip on his shoulder; the typical, do you know why I pulled you over...I was clueless. In short the dealer had not replaced my inspection sticker, giving the officer every right to pull me over. His next line was, "if you could afford the car, then you can afford the inspection". Are you kidding me. I have heard more stories concerning officers with condescending attitudes than I care to discuss. While the uniform does demand respect, perhaps a slightly lighter attitude toward those hardened criminals doing 35 in a 35mph zone, or not coming to a complete stop, might increase the po to citizen relationship. I think many officers should treat the public with the same respect they would want their families treated.

Quick Reply: Dumbest pull-over ever !!