996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Dumbest pull-over ever !!

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 05:48 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One could say he/she was getting ready to leave himself a vmail message when he was pulled over or just call 911, those calls are recorded.

My question is, how can the police be mic'd up with video cameras yet a citizen cannot do the same?

Originally Posted by marlinspike
You'd be surprised. There was an incident in MA not all that long ago. Guy recorded cop cussing at him during a traffic stop. Guy went to PD. Guy found himself with new charges against him. But yeah, a state requiring all-party consent to record a phone call might not to record an in-person conversation, but there are states that do.
Old 08-11-2008, 05:56 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

I find it to be pushing the limits of invasion of privacy to have police pull me over on the pretext of fishing for something else.

... I have a simple philosophy of making sure that I don't provide a reason to be pulled over. If I am pulled over I am polite and professional and if asked I would decline a request for a search.

A pretext search is a powerful tool that can easily be abused, even if it intended to be used in a good way.
Old 08-11-2008, 06:03 PM
marlinspike
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by washington dc porsche
One could say he/she was getting ready to leave himself a vmail message when he was pulled over or just call 911, those calls are recorded.

My question is, how can the police be mic'd up with video cameras yet a citizen cannot do the same?
It was a few years ago so my memory is hazy, but the court addressed this in upholding his additional charges. It was something along the lines of the importance of the police cameras outweigh the privacy issues, yet somehow if the person pulled over is doing the recording this isn't true.
Old 08-11-2008, 06:55 PM
apierce918
Addic
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

a little OT here, but its about the plate situation. Im working a contract job here in WI, have MI plates, i was all confused about whether or not i needed to change things over since i could be here for nearly a year or more before i find out if they take me on full time, or i just end my contract. My permanent address remains michigan because i receive a per-diem payment for having "2 homes" basically, or bills in two states.

SO!

I emailed WI's DOT and asked them about it, they said to leave it as is and if i find out i will be staying, then i have 60 days (i believe some states are 30, some 60)

THIS is the kind of stuff im worried about though, i was under the impression if i changed my plates, i changed my license, insurance and then what would really link me back to MI besides my registering to vote, and would that be void since i dont have anything saying im there anymore...

as of right now im still on MI plates and until i have a problem, im just gonna hope its ok or they take me on full time so i can change it over without worrying
Old 08-11-2008, 07:08 PM
marlinspike
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

Do you maintain a residence in MI? Do you intend to return to MI ultimately? I think it's fair to say yes to the second question because your job is temporary at the moment, and if you didn't intend to return you would have presumably sold your MI residence. If you answered yes to both questions, no need to change anything.

Quick Reply: Dumbest pull-over ever !!